central heating in conservatory | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss central heating in conservatory in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wobblymike

i intend to extend my ch into my conservatory and further intend to employ a professional to do the installation. I wish to use this forum to ensure I understand the process.

I have a vaillant ecotec combi boiler which is controlled by a danfoss tp5000si rf thermostat and rx2 switch.

I know what size rads I need and am in the process of purchasing them together with TRV and lockshields, second tp5000si rf thermostat to control the conservatory independantly, and a 2 port zone valve to isolate the conservatory.

The plumbing for the rads will be picked up from under the lounge floor and run into the conservatory to the 2 rads and back - my first question is where does the zone valve go?

Appreciate any guidance.

why do you need zone valves, trvs will do, my only issue is why do you want to warm up a glass house, total waste of energy. conservatories are for keeping your pot plants protected in winter, if you need to stay warm put some insulated brick walls around you. One day people will understand why we are running out of fuel!

This is the sort of job that would be best to let a professional assess the job first hand.

I personally like underfloor heating in conservatory's over rads. On the priviso that the conservatory will be in regular use over the winter, as UFH takes longer to heat the space.

LOL - Some people want a warm conservatory LP.

I know it's a waste of fuel, but if you don't do the work, someone else will!

My current job is to construct and heat a conservatory BTW.

I should put up photos really.

We removed the old UPVC carbuncle. We've put in a 9m long steel, and have £16K worth of bifold doors going in. Triple glazed, the U values are amazing. We've also fitted 3 large Velux, double glazed, electric opening. Pretty good U values.

This room is sandwhiched inbetween 3 internal walls though.

Of course I'm fitting UFH with its own stat and controls.

If you want to zone it independently you will need another zone valve on the heating so you will need to come off of the flow from the boiler. You conservatory valve will need to switch the combi so wiring back to boiler as well.

Planningportal.gov.UK states -

Building regulations will generally apply if you want to build an extension to your home.

However, conservatories are normally exempt from building regulations when:

They are built at ground level and are less than 30 square metres in floor area. The conservatory is separated from the house by external quality walls, doors or windows. There should be an independent heating system with separate temperature and on/off controls. Glazing and any fixed electrical installations comply with the applicable building regulations requirements (see below).

You are advised not to construct conservatories where they will restrict ladder access to windows serving rooms in roof or loft conversions, particularly if any of the windows are intended to help escape or rescue if there is a fire.

Any new structural opening between the conservatory and the existing house will require building regulations approval, even if the conservatory itself is an exempt structure.

Don't forget the frost stat or you'll freeze up in the winter. Don't fancy your gas bill though.

i intend to extend my ch into my conservatory and further intend to employ a professional to do the installation. I wish to use this forum to ensure I understand the process.

I have a vaillant ecotec combi boiler which is controlled by a danfoss tp5000si rf thermostat and rx2 switch.

I know what size rads I need and am in the process of purchasing them together with TRV and lockshields, second tp5000si rf thermostat to control the conservatory independantly, and a 2 port zone valve to isolate the conservatory.

The plumbing for the rads will be picked up from under the lounge floor and run into the conservatory to the 2 rads and back - my first question is where does the zone valve go?

Appreciate any guidance.

Why employ a professional when you'll get everything you need to know on here?

Well perhaps if he knew everything then he wouldn't have too get someone in ha. Also it may not be possible to pick up from the heat circuit under your lounge floor that maybe a leg that maybe need upsizing if you add an additional two radiators on that leg.

You need zone valves on them now to meet regs

not to a conservatory, there should be no heat from your heating system to a conservatory to meet the regs. Unless it forms part of the house which would require planning permission etc......etc......

Electric fan heater, instant heat when you are in there. Shut the door when your not.

not to a conservatory, there should be no heat from your heating system to a conservatory to meet the regs. Unless it forms part of the house which would require planning permission etc......etc......

Thought you could if it had separate time and temperature controls

Thought you could if it had separate time and temperature controls

not what ive been told, by local building control, must be independant ie.... a speerate heat source like a leck heater. Different on newbuilds with planning permission already sorted i guess.

On my current project, the heating has to have independant controls from the house system to comply.

i dont know how its ever done even with planning permission, as new builds and extenstions are suppost to have good u values/ very small heat losses. your just wasting energy.

planning permission is needed if the doors between the house and conservatory are removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the end decided to follow Chuck’s advice...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Best to remove the rad and put a hose pipe on...
Replies
Views
Hi Basher, Thank you for the reply. So the...
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back