Central Heating Mystery | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central Heating Mystery in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

potatoman

First the background
The house is rented accommodation,it was compltely rewired 12 months ago.
Now the mystery.
The gas central heating does not work correctly,
First of all the power light on the boiler is not illuminated
When the central heating only is selected via the time clock nothing happens,the pump does not work,there is no power to the boiler so no hot radiators.
When the hot water only is selected via the time clock the power light on the boiler comes on,the water pump works then the ignition light on the boiler comes on and the boiler fires and I get hot water.
The mystery deepens
When the hot water is selected, as above, not only do I get hot water but the THE RADIATORS WORK

now that's a MYSTERY

Ok, but would that explain no electric to the boiler power light,which should be lit all the time.

sounds like a worcester 15/18/24 ri, dodgy wiring, get them back, they have wired it wrong!!

The first tennants after the wiring reported no problems,they were in there for 6 months,they said everything worked ok.
I will try and find out about the type of boiler

The first tennants after the wiring reported no problems,they were in there for 6 months,they said everything worked ok.
I will try and find out about the type of boiler

Maybe they were there over the winter, didn't try to run CH and HW separately?

Maybe they were there over the winter, didn't try to run CH and HW separately?

They were there between March and September,they must have used the hot water on its own,and the rads would have come on.
May be I have two problems bad wiring and bad diverter valve ?

In my experience its good to have an idea whats going on,I will not try to repair it my self

two wires back to front on the clock its a gravity system and theyve got the clock reversed easiest solultion put sticky back plastic over the switch and write hot water where it no says heating and vice versa

two wires back to front on the clock its a gravity system and theyve got the clock reversed easiest solultion put sticky back plastic over the switch and write hot water where it no says heating and vice versa
Maybe , but the heating goes off when the hot water is hot enough, and is not controlled with the room sat,and surely the power light on the boiler should be on all the time
The boiler is a Baxi Solo 15 HE

Maybe , but the heating goes off when the hot water is hot enough, and is not controlled with the room sat,and surely the power light on the boiler should be on all the time
The boiler is a Baxi Solo 15 HE

Power light only comes on when there is a demand, search on here for 'Baxi Solo'

Faulty Diverter valve ? Have it checked by a competent heating engineer. Has it ever worked properly since install ? If so need to check micro sw. & wiring to both stats is correct.
If never worked correctly need to check all the wiring by numbers, or some fiddlers are colour blind & can`t follow a wiring diagram

Last edited by a moderator:
First the background
The house is rented accommodation,it was compltely rewired 12 months ago.
Now the mystery.
The gas central heating does not work correctly,
First of all the power light on the boiler is not illuminated
When the central heating only is selected via the time clock nothing happens,the pump does not work,there is no power to the boiler so no hot radiators.
When the hot water only is selected via the time clock the power light on the boiler comes on,the water pump works then the ignition light on the boiler comes on and the boiler fires and I get hot water.
The mystery deepens
When the hot water is selected, as above, not only do I get hot water but the THE RADIATORS WORK

now that's a MYSTERY

The Boiler has not been installed correctly....some electricians think it smart to wire the things up that way. I had a tear up with one when helping my mate over this. It makes fault finding harder and can be dangerous bcause there is electricity and if elec checks aren't done you may think it safe. The only time electricity will flow is when something is selected. Personally, I'd pull all the wiring from the wiring centre if there is one and start again.

Faulty Diverter valve ? Have it checked by a competent heating engineer. Has it ever worked properly since install ? If so need to check micro sw. & wiring to both stats is correct.
If never worked correctly need to check all the wiring by numbers, or some fiddlers are colour blind & can`t follow a wiring diagram
Hi, could you tell me what the micro sw in the diverter valve operates

I've lost count of the people advising that it's a wiring fault but you don't seem keen on that answer. Was it rewired by a friend?! Get the wiring checked and the mystery will be solved.

I've lost count of the people advising that it's a wiring fault but you don't seem keen on that answer. Was it rewired by a friend?! Get the wiring checked and the mystery will be solved.
Please read all my posts carefully.I do think it couLd be an answer,but
The wiring was carried out by competent time served electratian,not me
Its hard to believe a competent electratian could not follow wires,he was not wiring the boiler he was re wiring the boiler.
The boiler is only 5 years old ,and I suspect he did not change the wires as they would have complied with regulations.
The first tenants, after the wiring, did not complain of any problems.

I hope you can see why I am not keen of that anserer

THE MYSTERY DEEPENS

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
L
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Back