Central heating problem over 4 floors, please help! | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating problem over 4 floors, please help! in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dancematic66

Dear all,

I have joined these forums because I have a problem with my heating system and from what I have read this seems to be the most comprehensive site on the net!

I live in a 4 story townhouse and there is something wrong with the heating system.

When the system is on only two radiators on the ground and first floors get hot, the others are just mildly warm at the bottom.

On the second and third floors pretty much non of the radiators warm up at all. One or two getting luke warm on the bottom.

I haver turned the system off and bled all the radiators from the top floor downwards.

On the third and second floors either nothing comes out at all or a small amount of gas and no water.

On the first and ground floors the radiators bleed like normal. Emitting a quantity of gas and then water (Black at first then running clear).

After performing the bleeds I then turned the system back on and the radiators were the same...

I'm not a plumber or gas engineer so can only guess what the problem is by reading other posts however the isn't an accurate enough way of diagnosing the problem.

Please could you all try and help me diagnose what is wrong and if possible direct me to fix it (If within my capabilities).

I am going to take some photos of the boiler etc.. so you can all see what is going on!

Many thanks,

Michael.

What boiler do you have?
Is there tanks in your loft?

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply, I am just uploading some pictures of the boiler setup and am going to double check if there are any tanks (I'm pretty sure there aren't).

thanks,

Michael.

has it been maintained i.e. Cleaned, serviced etc in the past 12 months?

Hi all,

There are no tanks in the attic, and the system hasn't been maintained within the last 24 months or longer..

The property is around about 7 years old.

I am trying to upload pictures of the heating system but the upload is failing, maybe there is a max image size that I am exceeding?

Thanks,

Michael.

Do you have a cylinder? I am assuming you have an unvented cylinder and a system boiler?

Hi all,

Here are some pictures of the system in the house.

This is in the ground floor utility room:

1.jpg

1:2e.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

This is in the second floor airing cupboard:

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Thanks,

Michael.

sounds to me like any of the following that need further investigation

pumps shot
sludge in system
balance

these r what I would look at as a first port of call

Thanks for the reply nysk,

Is there anything I can do to try and fix it or is this really a job for a qualified engineer?

None of them involve any gas work but you do have an unvented cylinder which shouldnt need touching so in theory you could give it go - depends how competent you deem yourself. If things go ti** you could get very wet. If not I would get an engineer with their unvented ticket as a minimum and take it from there. where u based?

Hi Michael
Your first port of call is to put some water into the heating system your pressure gauge on the big red expansion vessel is reading zero & big clue no water on top floors but still ok on lower.

did nt spot that Chris - good shout
Hi Michael
Your first port of call is to put some water into the heating system your pressure gauge on the big red expansion vessel is reading zero & big clue no water on top floors but still ok on lower.

Do you know were your filling loop / point is ? It should be a silver flexible hose that is used to connect a mains cold water supply to a heating pipe with some valves on either side & a pressure gauge close by?? I can't see it around the boiler so most likely next to the hot water cylinder (high level) ? the other thing we will need to know is how many floor are above this point ?

also wen refilled, run heating and check tundish to see if discharging

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies!!

Well I deem myself competant enough to follow direct instructions but have no real knowledge of heaing systems.

I work for an exhibition company so am not a DIY failure!

I was trying to find info about the expansion vessel last night after noticing the gauge was reading 0.

I will go and check where this flexible hose is.

Thanks,

Michael.

Ok so this is in the airing cupboard on the second floor:

photo.jpg

There is one more floor above this.

That's your filling loop. No need for the gym today your gonna get your excercise running up and down stairs. Top it up to about 2 bar and then start on ground floor and vent the rads until water comes out. If nothing comes out then it's back to the filling loop to add more water and repeat upwards through the house. When finished you want your pressure gauge on 1 bar.

OK Michael close then, not above cylinder but down next to it, not bad a. OK using the black lever on the filling loop valve turn it slowly until it is inline with the pipe not across it, you should hear water start to flow into the heating system. You will need to watch the pressure gauge next to the expansion vessel as the water flows in the pressure should rise. You should put in enough water to raise the pressure up to around 0.5 Bar (it should be no more the 1Bar).
You will need to go back up to the top floors & bleed the rads the water pressure will probably run out & you will have to go down & top it back up. Continue until all the rads are full of water before turning on & testing (check & vent any that require on going). If pressure does not hold up you have a leak some where that will need to be found & repaired.

Hi both,

Thanks a bunch for the direction! I am going to go and try out what you have just told me.

Just one question, does the system need to be completely off before I introduce water/bleed the rads?

Last edited by a moderator:
1 Bar for me.

I'd also be having a look at the pressure relief valve discharge for a dribble. Maybe tape a bag or coke bottle over it to see if it's leaking.

Be nice to know how many rads on the system as the pressure vessel looks a little on the small side as well.

Once this sorts out your system, looks to be loss of water, you need to think about getting it cleaned ! and inhibitor added, when was it last serviced ? Red tank needs checking , may need rechargeing or replaceing.

Hi all,

Ok I will turn it off at the programmer, fill the tank, bleed the radiators above until they are full of water.

Should I then repeat this process on all floors until all radiators are full?

Just so you know there are:

3 radiators on ground floor.
2 radiators on first floor.
4 radiators on second floor.
3 radiators on third floor.

12 in total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
I have a weird intermittent problem where my...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Replies
Views
Back