Central heating problem over 4 floors, please help! | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating problem over 4 floors, please help! in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now have got water flowing out of all three top floor radiators, the first time they have ever felt warm!! :)

Should I repeat this process of venting and refilling throughout the house?

If all are vented and air is out your all good

In future if you vent a radiator. Top the pressure back up

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help!!

I have now successfully bled all of the radiators, topped the system back up to 1 bar and turned it back on again.

Fingers crossed in 20-30mins all radiators should be piping!!

:-D

yes system must be off when filling as you will get inaccurate final reading on pressure gauge when all rads are filled as water expands when heated hence the expansion vessel.
oh and u made me lol..lol ...when you vent radiators ..its not "gas" that's coming out ..its air...lol.
had lady last week who ran out her lounge screaming..(made me jump and panic too lol). all i started doing was venting the rad and when she heard the hissing and had a ciggerete lit in her hand she shot out the room like she was stapped to the end of a bungee that had the other end attached in Scotland..never seen any one move so fast ....i had calmed down from giggling about it for days and then i read you post....lol lol

if this does not fix your problem your more likely looking at a sludge build up which will require a power flush with chemicals or theirs a hidden bypass or blockage...simple solution for you man. have agood one
gasmann eastlondon

Hi Gasmann,

Thanks for the advice, it was a typing error though. I know it's not gas ^_^

Thanks,

Michael.

Guys,

I have just checked all the rads and they are too hot to touch!

With the exception of one which is on the second floor landing. It is ice cold and is letting cold water out when I bleed it.

The valve is open and here is a picture of the temp control on the other side. It is a bit rusty compared to the others which are clean.

photo.jpg

The cap in my hand is shaped like an egg and rotates to show 0 to 5, when it is rotated a small pin in side lowers to pinch the nipple on the radiator valve.

Thanks,

Michael.

I also depressed the pin on the valve and gave it a tap with a pair of metal pliers incase something had jarred?

Get that valve changed mate and don't tap it to hard until then!

oh and u made me lol..lol ...when you vent radiators ..its not "gas" that's coming out ..its air...lol

I thought it was a gas, water and air and metal mixing makes hydrogen and this is a gas isnt it?

This is why we add inhibitor to slow this reaction down.

just to be pedantic

Hi Michael
Lots of advice & comment on this but if you will take a last tip from your uncle Chris, get somebody in to change the rad valve as it is leaking & the system pressure will drop again, over a short time. At the same time get them to do a service on the Megaflo un-vent cylinder, these need to be looked at from time to time (manufacturers say once a year just like boilers) as they can be potentially dangerous if things go wrong. I am not trying to scare you & the photo is not that clear but it does look as though it does not comply with Building Regs G3 & if it has not been looked at in a while it would be a good idea to do the two things at once.
Uncle Chris

I thought it was a gas, water and air and metal mixing makes hydrogen and this is a gas isnt it?

This is why we add inhibitor to slow this reaction down.

just to be pedantic

i really didn't even want to reply but ..couldn't help it...yes we as engineers know that but some customers think gas goes through the whole system...hence why i mentioned my customer last week and im quite sure gas safe would have a law for all persons venting radiators to have rooms well vented and no smoking while doing it as well as ive never heard any say " hey m8 go vent those rads of hydrogen" ...that's not pedantic mate ....you just need to stop drinking the inhibitor and add some thing mellowing in your rizla....chillski man chillski..
lol lol...

cool you got it going dude....and yes change that vale completly ..
like people with common sence...u saved your self some good dosh man..beers ( by the barrel )on you ..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
I have a weird intermittent problem where my...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Replies
Views
Back