Central Heating Problem | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central Heating Problem in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the valve turn through 90 degrees when changing from water only to heating or is it less than this?

With the motor off the valve, switch your timeclock to heating only & see if the black marker moves to the H position. If it does then your valve is jammed, if not then it is more than likely just the motor if all was well previously. You can just replace the motor on these valves rather than doing a cmplete valve change.

It didn't move to H so it might be the motor, how much do they cost approx?

The last 1 i picked up a couple of months ago was about £30 for the motor, write down the name & any model numbers & the merchant will be able to match it up. Check that the pin is moving freely on the valve as a complete new valve incl. motor is not a great deal more. From what you say it sounds very much like its just the motor tho.

When you checked if it went to H, you did have the room stat turned up calling for heat didn't you?

Yes I had it turned up. The pin as you call it, is that the brass thing sticking out of the valve? I turned it through about 20 degrees, it didn't seem to want to go any further. I then did what the gasman recommended earlier in the thread about removing the white box and the thermostat from the tank and switched the water and heating on. I am now getting heat in all the radiators. Does this confirm that the valve is Ok, should it only move through about 20 degrees? If I now replace the motorized white box do you think that will solve it? I'm sorry for asking so many questions.

Yes your valve seems ok if you were able to turn it ok & yes the pin will only turn approx. 20 degrees. It pretty much all points to the motor playing up & i wouldn't hesitate in renewing it.

Thanks for all your advice, it has been a godsend. I will replace the motorised part of the valve as soon as I can get hold of one.

no your valve is not ok pablo,what you have done confirms its failed,if the brass screw turned ok chances are you just need a new,cheap,syncron motor

One last question, because I drained the radiators today do I have to refill with inhibitor and if so how do I do this?

Can you recommend a cheap syncron motor or do i have to replace like for like Gasman?

any syncron will do,go to any plumbcenter,pts,plumbase,curzons,hrpc etc they should have one even travis perkins tend to have this part in stock,in regards to adding inhibitor,empty your ch(small TANK)by draining ,pour your chemicals in sentinel or fernox is good kit,you need to displace enough water to make sure the chemical gets into the system

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Travis Perkins up the road, I will give them a ring. Are they likely to stock inhibitor as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
It has dropped after isolating. Bugger
Replies
Views
I have a weird intermittent problem where my...
Replies
Views
Back