Central Heating problem | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central Heating problem in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far...I will add some more pictures in the hope that they will make sense or help!!!

Brightcrow in answer to your questions...

I have changed the batteries in the heating thermostat and the water thermostat.

Have not always had this problem....this is a new problem. We have always previously been able to heat the water up independently from the heating.

I don't know if the heating pump is built into the boiler.....hopefully the pictures will help.

I have no idea if there is a slider on the back of the programmer...but as said earlier this has only just recently become a problem...since the motorized valve actuators were changed.

Correct in that we used to have a floor standing boiler with gravity hot water (no temperature control) changed to a fully pumped system.

Picture 1 is the boiler.
Picture 2 is the heating thermostat.
Picture 3 is the water thermostat.

CH 6.jpgCH 7.jpgCH 8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, sorry if i'm getting a bit technical with all the questions. Sometimes a getting a wider view of system can help pinpoint the answer.

Boiler looks like the icos system boiler so has pump built in, and since all was ok with programmer before this and the slider thing are not relevant now.

If you say boiler wont fire for hot water only then it leads me to believe there is a problem with cylinder stat. This is probably that it needs to re-paired with reciever near motorised valves. Looking at picture there appears to be symbol on display which may indicate this but cant quite make it out.

Sound daft but might be worth turning whole system power off, waiting thirty seconds and turning back on. This often triggers reciever to start a re-pairing procedure.

if that fails then you will need to find instruction for cylinder thermostat and follow the re-pairing process through.

Will try and find a link for you

I have tried the link....doesn't appear to work.

The little symbol in the window appear to be a little flame.

I have taken another picture in which it is a little bit clearer.

CH 9.jpg

Just seen the link fixed thanks. Hope the symbol clearer for you.

Try this one and look at section on "comissioning". If this process doesn't work then my next port of call would be programmer replacement unfortunately or getting your guy back to check his wiring.

If you wanted to get Hot Water in mean time, you could manually overide hot water valve using lever on top of it and running the heating, but watch out for the temperature of water when as there will be no temperature control.

http://danfoss-randall.co.uk/PCMPDF/25322v07.pdf

Try this one and look at section on "comissioning". If this process doesn't work then my next port of call would be programmer replacement unfortunately or getting your guy back to check his wiring.

If you wanted to get Hot Water in mean time, you could manually overide hot water valve using lever on top of it and running the heating, but watch out for the temperature of water when as there will be no temperature control.

Thank you I will give that a try and see from there.

With regard to manually overriding it. That is what we are currently doing.

I will keep you updated...thank you for help.

1 quick question....how do I ensure the programmer "is calling"...as per commissioning pages.

red light "on" on hw slider on programmer and believe the reciever should have a light on too.

Take valve out of manual overide while you do this though.

Ok will give it a try...with someone else helping...I'll keep you updated. Thank you.

Hi brightcrow is pointing you the right way, reading througth what has been advised i think it has come down to 1 faulty programer 2, a wire as droped out of main wireing center when new valves replaced. easy to check out.

Hi Guys.

Right I have tried to pair it up again. Unfortunately this has had no effect. :nonod:

I don't know if this helps with the "diagnosis" at all but on the programmer (is it?) when you slide both programmes (heating and hot water) to 'Auto' that doesn't fire the boiler up either. It's only when you slide it to 'Cont' for heating that it fires up the boiler.

Any idea what the small flame symbol means in the display window of the water temp thermostat?? I will also check if there are any obvious wires hanging loose or anything as per above suggestion from jtsplumbing.

Thanks...D_T

If programer is in AUTO it is in the time`d position eg if system due to come on at 6am then this will turn on boiler , but only if a demand from one of the stats , ie FLAME ON, stats will not over-ride time control , if you put timer on constant then you can control it with the stats ie stats will over-ride constant position.

Ok.

So from what you are saying the flame shouldn't be showing in the window if all the programmes are turned off.

The flame is actually constantly in the window whether the the "sliders" are switched to constant, auto or even off!!!

Can I ask what this rotating switch (on boiler) does...

CH 10.jpg

I ask because someone said it controls the temp of the radiators...but I would have thought they are controlled by the thermostats. ie if the room/water needs heating...they turn it up.

H_T

Ok.

So from what you are saying the flame shouldn't be showing in the window if all the programmes are turned off.

The flame is actually constantly in the window whether the the "sliders" are switched to constant, auto or even off!!!

Can I ask what this rotating switch (on boiler) does...

View attachment 4743

I ask because someone said it controls the temp of the radiators...but I would have thought they are controlled by the thermostats. ie if the room/water needs heating...they turn it up.

H_T

It controls the amount of heat generated by the boiler

As Grey is saying the dial controls the temp that the boiler is produceing, I missunderstod when you said about the flame on , I thought you ment on the 2 stats, if the flame on light , on the boiler is allways on, then its eather a fault on your wireing sending a signal and your boiler is on a very low light ie burning gas or you have a faulty display pannel, being as this is a Icos and are prone to electrical faults i`de say the pannel, but this is only a gess, without beening in front of boiler all this is just a shot in the dark, get your installer back !! get the boiler and controls check`d out , and get him to explain how these work.

Where are you located ?? :confused5:

Hi jtsplumbing.

No you were right first time. The little flame symbol IS in the water temperature thermostat.

Sorry if I confused you with the picture of the boiler. I only posted a picture of the boiler because I just wanted to clarify what I was talking about with the rotating switch. I keep posting pictures because I don't know the proper names to tell you guys what I am talking about.

So the flame symbol is in the water temp thermostat.

Basically the current problem appears to be that the only way we can heat the heating and the hot water up is to have the heating slider on the programmer slid to "const".

The water does not heat up if you don't have the Heating slid to constant.

And NEITHER of them work if they are just on "Auto".

All very frustrating (not to mention (likely) expensive...:sick:) in light of the earlier work carried out.

In Hertfordshire...long way from Devon....

Thanks...again...D_T

Hi DT still think problem is time control or poor wireing, are you going to get the same plumber back to sort your trouble`s some plumber`s dont under stand about wireing and can only change like for like, Can not understand reason for fitting RF controls ! is their a problem getting wires througth to main wireing center ??
:confused5:

To be honest I don't really know what we are going to do yet....I really don't!

At least we can put the heating on (through sliding it to "constant") and the water heated up (the same way...ie heating slid to "constant").

It would be unfair to go into details here...but ideally don't want the same plumber back. It's already cost a lot of money so far...and he has been very unreliable. We have called him MANY times and he has refused to get back to us...

It's quite difficult to judge because when he walked out the door it was working...albeit on the last occasion for less than 24 hours!!! That was after changing the actuators and whatever else he changed (small electrical box!!!)

Sorry to sound thick...but not sure what you mean with "Can not understand reason for fitting RF controls ! is their a problem getting wires througth to main wireing center ??"

I'll certainly keep you updated with any results...heh I might be asking for recommendations for local plumbers at some point...lol

Hi ref RF controls just wondering why they fitted them ? would it have been to hard to run wires from cylinder stat and room stat? plus the cost involved for RF units, Your best bet is to call Gas Safe for local recomend or a good electrican who works on heating systems, if you had been closer I would have like`d to see what has been done, Best of luck. By the way let plumber know you will be calling some-one in to sort out faults and sending him the bill !! he was last one to work on system so its is problem.
:love:

theres a big chance of both RF stats interfering with each other i agree with JTS why fit one on the cylinder seems odd,from what your saying the set up works in constant but not on timed either your timer settings are out in which case i suggest you consult the instructions or find them online or your time clock is faulty,i would also recommend you get rid of both RF stats and if its feasible replace with wired items,any wired cylinder stat(except salus)will do Honeywell make a wired thermostat/programmer called the 901/cronotherm that is easy to use and reliable this negates the need for a timeclock and finally my commiserations on owning a icos.......get breakdown cover.....you will need it

Hi ref RF controls just wondering why they fitted them ? would it have been to hard to run wires from cylinder stat and room stat? plus the cost involved for RF units, Your best bet is to call Gas Safe for local recomend or a good electrican who works on heating systems, if you had been closer I would have like`d to see what has been done, Best of luck. By the way let plumber know you will be calling some-one in to sort out faults and sending him the bill !! he was last one to work on system so its is problem.
:love:

Lol...thank you for the suggestion...it isn't actually that far away from that i think with the previous guy. I will def keep you updated....for what it's worth...lol.

gas man - Thank you for the suggestion...it's all starting to sound a bit technical. I have NOOOO clue when it comes to things like these. I wish I did.....but I really have no clue.

I'm so sorry to sound sooo thick....I am guessing the RF units are the thermostat units

Thanks all for suggestions....D_T

Lol...thank you for the suggestion...it isn't actually that far away from that i think with the previous guy. I will def keep you updated....for what it's worth...lol.

gas man - Thank you for the suggestion...it's all starting to sound a bit technical. I have NOOOO clue when it comes to things like these. I wish I did.....but I really have no clue.

I'm so sorry to sound sooo thick....I am guessing the RF units are the thermostat units

Thanks all for suggestions....D_T
they are RF} radio frequency sorry for the confusion,RF units are very prone to playing up

Thanks for your support GASMAN , think this poor lady has been led up the garden path and paid for items that were not required. sounds to me like a plumber who has no idea about controls or how to wire them did DT say if he was Gas Safe ? Lucky he never blew pcb on boiler, Think DT must get this sorted out ASAP it could be unsafe ! Are you within range to do a call for her ? I think she just needs very simple controls that are easy to understand :66:

I think we are going to try and get the original guy back to try and sort it out...as he was the one supposed to be sorting it out in the first place....and we have paid him money already!!!

If we can't get him back we will decide from there....probably through Gas safe as suggested earlier.

As to whether he is Gas safe....i don't know I am afraid... :-(

Thank you...(as said I will let you know what happens with the silly thing) D_T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
L
Replies
Views
Back