Central heating pump job Bit of a rant | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Central heating pump job Bit of a rant in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

herbert

I was asked to sort a leak on the valve above the central heating pump which by the looks of it had been leaking for ages as it was all furry down the valves around the connection to the pump across the pump and the same below it so I estimated the job saying to change both sides of the pump. The valve was right next to an end feed with loads of solder run down and into the compression joint so I just cut it out. The problem I had was when I drained down the system one of the bleed nipples snapped in a round top radiator. I informed the customer. After drilling it the customer tryed stud extractors whilst I carried on with the job for the customer to tell me I need to sort it so I replaced the rad and billed him for it. When I handed him the invoice he refused to pay because it was ok before I touched it. Thus being my fault and why should he pay for it. WHAT A JOKE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Golden rule, herbert, do not do any extra works until they have agreed to pay. In the commercial world always in writing & if at all possible I would do this of domestic ones as well.
I know it is easy to say after the event but there are some nasty, lying, cheating, unreasonable people out there.

Trust works both ways for sure.

Perhaps you were overly heavy handed with the bleed valve.
I have never myself snapped one but I have found plenty that were rounded.

i would have removed the radiator whilst live and took it with me, but then again im an angry man LOL.

Should have asked the guy, what would HE have done to remove a stuck (therefore FAULTY air screw) without the strong possibility of the weak thin brass screw snapping?
Surely he should pay for the rad, minimum.

Last time I had one of these I gave the radiator key to the customer and let him do it at his risk!

Should really have informed the customer that the screw was stuck and warned him that it may break.

The only time it happened to me was here at home, and being a tight git I left the radiator unbled for a couple of years until I came across a spare one the same size I removed from a job.

Last edited:
Wonder what make the round top rad was?
The Barlo/Quinn rads made a few years ago had air screws that would seize solid from new. I think it was something to do with a slight bit of paint on the last thread or two of the air screw. I used to remove them & clean the thread carefully with a Stanley knife & a dot of oil on them. They never seized then. If you broke one of those trying to remove it, then it probably wasn't your fault. All I would have tried was WD40.

Last edited:
Business Opportunity Alert:-

Little bleed valve with self tapper on back. Drill pilot hole into rad and screw in new bleed valve. Sorted :)

Business Opportunity Alert:-

Little bleed valve with self tapper on back. Drill pilot hole into rad and screw in new bleed valve. Sorted :)

Next time it happens try a few light taps using a small drift or a nail punch.

I was asked to sort a leak on the valve above the central heating pump which by the looks of it had been leaking for ages as it was all furry down the valves around the connection to the pump across the pump and the same below it so I estimated the job saying to change both sides of the pump. The valve was right next to an end feed with loads of solder run down and into the compression joint so I just cut it out. The problem I had was when I drained down the system one of the bleed nipples snapped in a round top radiator. I informed the customer. After drilling it the customer tryed stud extractors whilst I carried on with the job for the customer to tell me I need to sort it so I replaced the rad and billed him for it. When I handed him the invoice he refused to pay because it was ok before I touched it. Thus being my fault and why should he pay for it. WHAT A JOKE.

think you probably made a couple of mistakes here, you could have used a pipe freezer on both sides of the pump valves, therefore no need to drain the system or as has been said , dont replace the radiator, just drill a new bleed screw on the opposite side of the radiator.

this is a handy tool to keep in your van
Toolstation > Hand Tools > Engineering Tools > Tap and Die Set

Expensive for a DIYer or a handyman, but an essential bit of kit for a professional plumber

i dont have a freeze kit as it would not be cost effective for me. i have only frozen a pipe about 10 times in 17 years. maybe im just lucky.

I have used a freeze kit 3 times this month, and hired a big electric freezer out last month :eek:

If i've got a stuckfast bleed screw which is liable to snap, I will talk the the customer first and inform them that I have to undo it, but in doing so it could snap off and require a new rad. All customers have said ok, but luckily not one bleed screw has ever snapped when i've done it. But yeah, just talk to the customer first and inform them it could go wrong.

I have a big freezing machine and probably use it 6 times a year. Its paid for itself now, and everytime I use it, I am saving time and money. So I'm a big fan, and wouldn't be without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the end decided to follow Chuck’s advice...
Replies
Views
I have a weird intermittent problem where my...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
Several people told me it would be an Airlock...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Back