Charge for plumber | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Charge for plumber in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi there

My shower is leaking, coming into the kitchen, and I have a trading standards approved plumber from the buy with confidence website coming out on Tuesday. He is charging £100 inc vat for call out inc first hour and then £60 an hour inc vat after that. I have looked online but can’t determine if this is a good price. I have no idea how long this job will take. Online I see that some people charge fixed amounts for jobs, even leaks. I wanted to go with this guy because he is trading standards approved so hopefully he is not a cowboy. Is the charging amounts about right? I have no idea.

Please help, thanks 😊

So the plumbers came back this morning and say they don’t think it’s a plumbing issue. They said that there is nothing more they can do than what they have already done (which is redo the silicone). They say the tray isn’t moving and maybe it is leaking down the side of the shower screen but that’s not a plumbing issue. A friend of a friend knows a good plumber so maybe I will get them out? Or I could go back down the property services route. At least I’m having a bath each morning and there is no more water leaking

Lol no! I will try my friends plumber and see what they say
So I thought I’d give an update.

The story so far:
Identified a leak coming from the shower tray through the silicone through the kitchen ceiling using plumbers Maddox Plumbing. They replaced the silicone but shower still leaked. They came back, didn’t know what else to suggest and left.

Next, a friend of a friend is recommended. He arranges to come out on the Friday. Doesn’t show. I send a casual text the week after asking when he might be able to come out. No answer. To be honest I’m reluctant to chase people anyway so I leave it.

Get another plumber recommendation from another friend. He comes over, shows me with a Stanley knife that part of the silicone hasn’t been done properly. Puts the shower over the silicone. After a while, it starts leaking. Arranges to come out on Wednesday (just gone) to replace silicone. Doesn’t show.

This last guy seemed to know what he was doing so I will give him a week to contact me but if no joy, I’ll be looking for plumber number 4…

A question to all the plumbers out there, I don’t want to chase because surely it makes me look desperate and it’s bad if a tradesperson can’t keep their word when they arrange to do some work. What’s your view on this?

A question to all the plumbers out there, I don’t want to chase because surely it makes me look desperate and it’s bad if a trades person can’t keep their word when they arrange to do some work. What’s your view on this?

Well, I'm a spark and I suspect that most areas have a shortage of plumbers so they can focus on the bigger jobs ......... I know that to be the case in my area.

I've never been so busy that I've had a problem keeping up with everyone, but then I am quite organised. I do know numerous tradesmen that are poor at getting back when they say they will with the result that people probably chase them more often.

Not keeping an appointment is poor customer service indeed, but I doubt any tradesman will be offended if you chase. I note my piano tuner and dentist now remind me the day before my appointment - presumably they have experience of people not being in/showing up. When I worked in a contracts firm and was urgently waiting for a technical response from a supplier I would chase very hour if I had to.

As for seeming deperate, you're trying to get your shower mended and you're willing to pay, not trying to get a romantic date (presumably) 🤪, so looking desperate is not something I'd worry about. Probably your plumber is trying to keep everyone happy and tends to be following whoever is chasing him harder/seems most in a hurry and if he thinks you are desperate he is more likely to show up.

The issue as I see it is do you really want to use someone who can't so much as advise you if he has to miss an appointment? If he's the best of a bad bunch, then the answer would seem to be 'yes' however.

Sounds like a typical story every other customer tells us. Heard numerous times of plumbers leaving in the middle of appointment to get something and never returning! In your case I would most certainly be getting the original plumbers who charged you for sealant work back to seal it properly. Sounds like you are almost there! Good luck

Just an update this end for those who gave advice/following. The sealant has been redone but it is still leaking. Checked the tray for hairline cracks and it seems to be leaking from the same corner. I will stick with the same plumber until this is resolved and this company have good reviews. It bugs me though, I’m really busy with work and he is busy with customers too so why am I being asked to give a reminder text to this guy to remind him to come out later in the week? I’m a customer! Work with a diary. I shouldn’t be reminding you that you have my job. All ranting aside, I have faith this will eventually get sorted and I’ll let you know the outcome.

I suggested it on page 3 and 4 but its looking more and more likely that tray is not sealed behind profile.
The fix is to remove screen, seal tray properly and re-fit screen.
I dont know if thats the case but i would put money on it!

Ok so I’m really starting to struggle now. I am also interested Knappers in where you are based. I am in southampton. The plumber was supposed to come over this week and didn’t. I told him I really needed to sort this out. He sent me this text:

“It may be worth talking to your insurance company. Feel we’ve done our best but where it’s been installed incorrectly and siliconed in side there is a chance what ever we do won’t work simply because of the poor install originally.
If they require a quote for a rip out and new install im happy to help. Other than that I don’t think we will solve the issue due to original install. Sorry.”

All he has done so far is redo the sealant. He has not even taken the tray out. He was supposed to come and look further at the shower and decide what to do next. Instead he is telling me to contact my insurance company for a refit and he will put in a new shower?! When he hasn’t even taken the tray out? He is saying the shower has been installed incorrectly but he never said that before. He told me that where it had been siliconed inside, it was a pain but he could dig that out. Now he is acting as though it’s not possible or too much work.

Have you said you want to remove the tray you know it might break and your happy to accept the liability if it does ?

Have you said you want to remove the tray you know it might break and your happy to accept the liability if it does ?
Thing is Shaun, it’s been a nightmare to get the guy back. When he first came over, he was all up for sorting it out. He said he would definitely be over this week and he hasn’t (again). I need someone who is prepared to get this sorted for me even if it’s going to be a right pain in the bum. That is a good tip though and I will mention it to the next person who comes to look at the shower

On the surface it was possibly a small job, an on the way home job. The reality is that it's a much bigger job and now it's probably fitting it in with the work he has on the books at the minute.
But the issue is communication. If the above was the case then he should have said, this is what it needs to fix it properly but I'm not available for at least 6 weeks due to current workload.

I'm on with a bathroom and been given a list of things 'whilst I'm here' to look at. A bit annoying as it's such a regular thing but I explain, if i have time it's not a problem but chargeable, if i dont have time i will book it in on my first available time slot.

The other issue you have is that it's been done wrong from the start, once somebody starts pulling it to bits to do it properly you dont know just what you will find.

Hope you get sorted.

I'm in Midlands so a fair way from you I'm afraid.
If the tiles are good and not blown or falling off the walls and leak is from the corner where shower screen is (which is common) then I wouldn't be taking the tray out.
I would remove the screen and the sealant all round the tray, clean and thoroughly dry.
Either clean up old screen with razor blade or replace with new. You will clearly see with screen off if it was incorrectly sealed as there will be a gap in the seal where the screen profile was.
Then its just a case of sealing around the (clean and dry) tray before refitting the screen, it won't hurt to fit the screen a day after sealing the tray but I often do same day (with caution . Most screens ask for sealant on the OUTSIDE ONLY so that any water that gathers in the profile can drain freely back into the tray.

This is a fairly common fault that I've seen many bathroom fitters make even (and especially) on newbuild sites. It's a chunk of work for what is a simple fix and I usually charge a days labour.
I've tried other 'fixes' over the years like drilling and forcing silicone into the gap but find the above is the only acceptable option for me.

Of course this may not be your problem but as taking the screen out is going to be part of any further work then it won't hurt to take it out and have a look?

I'm in Midlands so a fair way from you I'm afraid.
If the tiles are good and not blown or falling off the walls and leak is from the corner where shower screen is (which is common) then I wouldn't be taking the tray out.
I would remove the screen and the sealant all round the tray, clean and thoroughly dry.
Either clean up old screen with razor blade or replace with new. You will clearly see with screen off if it was incorrectly sealed as there will be a gap in the seal where the screen profile was.
Then its just a case of sealing around the (clean and dry) tray before refitting the screen, it won't hurt to fit the screen a day after sealing the tray but I often do same day (with caution . Most screens ask for sealant on the OUTSIDE ONLY so that any water that gathers in the profile can drain freely back into the tray.

This is a fairly common fault that I've seen many bathroom fitters make even (and especially) on newbuild sites. It's a chunk of work for what is a simple fix and I usually charge a days labour.
I've tried other 'fixes' over the years like drilling and forcing silicone into the gap but find the above is the only acceptable option for me.

Of course this may not be your problem but as taking the screen out is going to be part of any further work then it won't hurt to take it out and have a look?
Thanks Knappers and thanks everyone else too. I have another recommended plumber. I am thinking I will find another two and get their take on what they will do next. I will see what they say first but mention that it has been suggested to take the screen off and perhaps that area might just need siliconising. It is so helpful to have this forum, I massively appreciate this as I am good with IT (my job) but not with showers! Will report back!

Thanks Knappers and thanks everyone else too. I have another recommended plumber. I am thinking I will find another two and get their take on what they will do next. I will see what they say first but mention that it has been suggested to take the screen off and perhaps that area might just need siliconising. It is so helpful to have this forum, I massively appreciate this as I am good with IT (my job) but not with showers! Will report back!
I would be telling them what you would like done be firm on what you you expect ,the enclosure needs to come out and throughly cleaned down , before refitting it correctly the wall trims may even need removing and refitting won't be a 5 Min job either , and theres a chance it may get damaged removing it so be prepared . Kop

Similar plumbing topics

V
  • Question
Firstly I'd counter their demand by asking for...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
For the job you have described materials are...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Question
You were lucky they bothered to show up. At...
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
Anything under £500 is good value I'd say just...
Replies
Views
Back