Cheap cooker fitting jobs | General Plumbing Jobs Discussion | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cheap cooker fitting jobs in the General Plumbing Jobs Discussion area at Plumbers Forums

Do you think there should be a guide price and list of tests/checks that should be completed for standard jobs such as boiler service, fitting a cooker, safety checks.
Set out by gas safe and available for the public
That's a good idea but when people still think it's Corgi as Riley said, you now want to confuse them with a list of checks?

To be fair, it's customers who have their head in the sand: the Gas Safe Register logo is on all these vans. When was the last time Joe Public saw the Corgi logo?

I didn’t say he was. It was more if the customer wanted to do it themselves or have a friend do it. Like has been said, and I have it said to me, it’s just plugging the hose in isn’t it? When I say “no it’s a bit more than that” i get told it’s a load of bollards and health and safety gone mad.
That's the bit I don't understand. If they think it's just plugging the hose, why do they want to pay someone to do it?

That's a good idea but when people still think it's Corgi as Riley said, you now want to confuse them with a list of checks?

To be fair, it's customers who have their head in the sand: the Gas Safe Register logo is on all these vans. When was the last time Joe Public saw the Corgi logo?

Probably not all that long ago, the thing is Corgi still exist as a technical services and home plan -I get mail off them trying to sell me their cover.
Best value boiler cover & insurance

I have the same calls all the time. Now I just tell them its £65 for the first hour plus the cost of a new hose. If it goes over an hour it's £50 per hour after that plus any extra materials. I'd say 7 out of 10 go for it.
On another not I fitted a brand new Zanussi cooker a couple of weeks ago and the safety shut off valve didn't work when the lid was shut down. I id'd it and disconnected as you would. Zanussi and the supplier have refused to replace it and have suggested it was installed incorrectly! The elderly client hasn't had a cooker for 2 weeks and there is no number to contact Zanussi direct. I see the review rating for them is 0.8 out of 10 on a 168 reviews,9 so avoid them!

I have the same calls all the time. Now I just tell them its £65 for the first hour plus the cost of a new hose. If it goes over an hour it's £50 per hour after that plus any extra materials. I'd say 7 out of 10 go for it.
On another not I fitted a brand new Zanussi cooker a couple of weeks ago and the safety shut off valve didn't work when the lid was shut down. I id'd it and disconnected as you would. Zanussi and the supplier have refused to replace it and have suggested it was installed incorrectly! The elderly client hasn't had a cooker for 2 weeks and there is no number to contact Zanussi direct. I see the review rating for them is 0.8 out of 10 on a 168 reviews, so avoid them!

People think £20 cash in your pocket is a good payment.
They don’t realise you would struggle to earn £80 a day at that rate and then have to deduct fuel, materials and overheads
I did a boiler service (ideal vogue combi) for a family friend. As her husband just died of the big C I felt sorry for her so did it half price at £30. When she asked (again) at the end and I told her, her response was "blimey £30 for an hours work, I'm in the wrong job!"
The nicer you are the less you are thought of now days

People think £20 cash in your pocket is a good payment.
They don’t realise you would struggle to earn £80 a day at that rate and then have to deduct fuel, materials and overheads
I did a boiler service (ideal vogue combi) for a family friend. As her husband just died of the big C I felt sorry for her so did it half price at £30. When she asked (again) at the end and I told her, her response was "blimey £30 for an hours work, I'm in the wrong job!"

You cant win sometimes, best not working for friends/not immediate family

I like it when someone like a solicitor says that. I just smile and take the money.

Similar plumbing topics

I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
Maybe get an oven thermometer and test it...
Replies
Views
There's nothing wrong with external boilers...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
The worst oil boiler ever to hit the market...
Replies
Views
Back