Cold Mains Booster Pump | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cold Mains Booster Pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

tolly

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi, I was at a job today where the previous GSR engineer has just installed a megaflo and vaillant system boiler, converted from OV gravity hot water. Anyway, He didnt test the pressure and flow rate before starting work but to be fair, he wasn't told to as the builder said he was having a new main put in afterwards.

The builder is now getting round to having the new main put in and has been quoted 2k for the work. Whilst on the phone to the water board complaining to them about the cost he is claiming the man on the other end of the phone has said "your only other option is to fit a mains booster pump to the incoming supply"

I never knew such a thing existed and was always told it was illegal to fit a pump on the mains without having a break tank to comply with WR.

Is he having me on, or is this sort of "booster" pump now available?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
12 litres a minute isnt going to be acceptable for a megaflo though. What you want is an accumulator tank. It wont help the pressure but will help the flow rate massively. I fitted one recently as the cost of replacing the main would have been huge, only had 16 l/min on the incoming main. Fitted the accumulator and the difference was huge. before it was fitted if you had the bath taps open fully you would open the basin and get nothing out. after the accumulator with bath taps fully open at a much greater flow rate than before, id say nearly doubled, then open the basin taps and got a good flow from them aswell

thanks for the replys...i will tell him tomorrow that the booster pump will not be adeqate for unvented.

i wont tell him about the accumulator tank though, best he coffs up and just pays for a new water main i reckon!

Out of interest, i am interested in how an accumulator tank works though?

I had a quick google but didnt really find a decent explanation.

Not that i have fitted one myself but from hearsay from other plumbers booster pumps are a nuisance ( dont quote me on that tho)

Grundfoss homebooser is a nice piece of kit if you can find the space

Home Booster | Grundfos
Normally a fan of Grundfos albeit that they are a bit pricy, but this thing IMHO is their worst product. Have you had a go at servicing or maintaining it Roger ?
The vessel is at the back of the pump, now I haven't got fat hands (most other bits are) but even with my watch off I could not get my pressure gauge onto the valve at the back, it is rubber so you need to get the other hand in the other side to hold it "mission impossible"
Want to service the float valve or check the water level ? well to access that you will need a long bladed knife & a tube of silicone to get the sheet of mesh off. & don't get me started on the 'bluudy' bleeping alarm that tells the customer that it is time for it's annual service cos you hav to phone technical help to get the codes to reset that, I said don't get me started !!!!!!
& the cost !!!!!!!!!

Rant over (& out)

One of my customers has oner of the original prototype units fitted, though I haven't had cause to look at it (grundfoss still come out 6 monthly) they have been very pleased with its performance. They are off a private resvoir with little head.

ps: they didn't have to pay for it as was a r&d model

thanks for the replys...i will tell him tomorrow that the booster pump will not be adeqate for unvented.

i wont tell him about the accumulator tank though, best he coffs up and just pays for a new water main i reckon!

Out of interest, i am interested in how an accumulator tank works though?

I had a quick google but didnt really find a decent explanation.
an accumulator is a large expansion vessel that accumulates water when you are not using it and pushes it out when you open a tap

Last edited:
I also like the wee Grundfoss boosters and find them terrific for showers.

believe you still need permission off water company to install any pump 12lts or not on mains tho correct me if i am wrong
12L/M or less, not notifiable (wether or not it is direct or not off the mains) More than that it is all supposed to be notified to the water undertaker !!!
(please don't tell the custard that the mains can be directly pumped they'll be sticking a 15/50 on it to help their combi LOL, it will just be our little secret)

Last edited:
I also like the wee Grundfoss boosters and find them terrific for showers.

Is this the Grundfos UPA 15-90N?
If so would like some advice.
I have a hot water cylinder in the loft providing a flow of 3 l/min and would like to use this pump to boost flow rate to 12 l/min.

The following is from their pdf ( I have emailed Grundfos but they haven't replied)
APPLICATONS
The UPA 15-90 N is a circulator booster pump with integral
flow switch designed for pressure boosting of hot or cold water
supplies in domestic properties.
The pump provides additional pressure to taps and similar
outlet points, where the required flow rate is up to 0.3 l/s.
The UPA 15-90 N is intended to be used mainly in open
vented systems. However, subject to approval from the local
Water Company, it may also be connected directly to the water
main.
The pump incorporates a flow switch which starts and stops
the pump when a tap is turned on or off.
OPERATION
The operation of the pump can be selected by means of a
three position switch, OFF, MANUAL and AUTO.
In the AUTO position the pump is started and stopped by the
integral flow switch. The flow switch is operated by a gravity
flow of 2 l/min. The gravity flow at all fittings which require
boosting should be checked to ensure that the pump will
operate when the outlet fitting is opened.
When the MANUAL position is selected the pump will run
continuously. The pump should not be operated for long
periods without flow through the pump.
Minimal maintenance of the pump is required. Periodically the
flow switch may need cleaning depending on operating
conditions.

Yes, this is what this pump is designed to do.

Thanks Chris.

Had the following reply from Grundfos which is puzzling,

"Apologies for the delay,

The UPA 15-90 is not really designed to increase the flow , your flow will be restricted by the size of your pipework.

Many thanks"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chris.

Had the following reply from Grundfos which is puzzling,

"Apologies for the delay,

The UPA 15-90 is not really designed to increase the flow , your flow will be restricted by the size of your pipework.

Many thanks"
Bit technical but if you have standard size pipe work (15 or 22mm) this pump should do the job by increasing the pressure it will increase the flow rate delivered through them.

Thanks for the info Chris,
The pipe work is 22mm down to the bathroom a floor below, reducing to 15mm to the taps.
Then to ground floor shower and kitchen - all 15mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yes or they do an extra tank so brings it upto...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could be debris in the loft shower inlet filters
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise...
Replies
Views
For info, I've had confirmation from Challis...
Replies
Views
Was sweet when we commissioned the system...
Replies
Views
Back