Cold water tank almost boiling | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cold water tank almost boiling in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly the terrifying saga continues, the housing association were sending out a gas engineer before Christmas, I have seen & heard nothing.
It's worse than ever before this morning, boiling water spilling over & through our ceiling
So I call yet again,get put through to their contact engineers stating the emergency to get a call half an hour later telling me our home is not on their system (ex tennant) I explain it's downstairs heating system that they are tennants & a complaint had been lodged by them also. He tells me he cannot attend!!!!
After further calls to HA they are now sending out their plumber...waiting whilst the tank boils
Am angry at the way this has not been handled.
I have a video of my boiling tank & my attic that is like a sauna filled with steam but it's too large to upload, I'll be making it very public.
Cat

Sadly the terrifying saga continues with downstairs heating, their cold water tank is in our attic & is boiling to overflow!!!
The housing association, Scottish Borders Housing Association, were sending out their contract gas engineer (PH Jones) way before Christmas, I have seen & heard nothing.
It's worse than ever before this morning, boiling water spilling over the tank & through our ceiling
So I call yet again,get put through to their contact engineers stating the emergency to get a call half an hour later telling me our home is not on their system (ex tennant) I explain it's downstairs heating system that they are tennants & a complaint had been lodged by them also. He tells me he cannot attend!!!!

After further calls to SBHA they are now sending out their plumber...waiting whilst the tank boils
Having been warned the tank of boiling water could come through our living room ceiling!!!
Am so worried & bloody fuming at the way this has been handled the video of the boiling already warped plastic tank is too big to post but if you have Facebook access I made my post public Catriona Hamilton
I am going to call my house insurance & which one if HETAS,OFTEC or Gas Safe should I get in touch with?
The HA plumber has finally arrived & is extending the overflow pipe? Says the thermostat downstairs is 'knackered' he also said it must have taken some heat to have warped the tank...nae Rubbish Sherlock!!!
Thank you all again for your help & advice.
Cat

Make sure anyone working on the system is hetas registered (eg solid fuel qualified)

Reactions: Cat
I have no idea,he's now gone. He is the HA plumber but not a heating engineer.
He said the HA will sort out downstairs & with any luck they may fit downstairs with a new system...they blooming better!
I am going to contact my house insurance to see what they can advise I may get emergency call out to prevent further damage & maybe legal advice.
I've attached photo of the new pipe extension...what do you think? Tank is well warped!!!
Cat

IMG_20180106_132015304.jpg

IMG_20180106_132027856.jpg

HETAS and OFTEC both deal with solid fuel. May also be worth involving your council (environmental health? or housing officer? as ALL rentals need to meet certain standards and the council has a responsibility to police this). Definitely talk to your insurer - do you have legal cover on that?

Thanks looked at both to find out about regulation standards etc but see the cover England & Wales....am up in Scotland.
I am the owner (ex HA tenant) oooh environmental health might be a good call the HA housing officer for my area in the repair service woman's words "was a much use as a chocolate fireguard"
I called my insurance they won't cover water damage by neighbours tank but I spoke to their legal advice team they're calling me back Monday.
Just write a letter of complaint to Chief Ex of HA.
My sons' Dad is a tradesman he's contacting a qualified certified heating engineer for me to ask him to come look & advise me, I don't want to get told it's all 'fixed' & safe if it's not.
You guys have been so much help, I've learned....ya think I should take up a new career in plumbing?
Cat

:D if you want to but there's a long road ahead

Extending the copper vent pipe higher will not make any difference whatsoever if the solid fuel boiler is greatly overheating!
Needs the overheat problem fixed.
Only thing the vent being higher does on a primary vent is to prevent the vent putting water out when fire working at normal heat

***RESULT***
Update : at long last I have heard from SBHA, they have chased up the heating engineers,who have called to say replacement metal tank is on order & as soon as it's delivered they'll call to arrange access for work. I'm getting compensated for the water damage to my living room, they will also replace the damaged loft insulation and the postie just delivered the letter from SBHA's chief executive upholding my complaint and what they have done to address a number of issues I raised and she has apologised for the distress caused to my family & myself. There will be a new heating system installed downstairs by the end of March. Woohoo!
Once thank you all for your support & advice.
Cat

I would say your neighbour will still need a high limit stat fitted. Which activates their heating pump to come on if their fire is overheating.

HA are going to connect downstairs neighbour to gas & install a gas central heating system
No more tank in our attic
Cat

Spot the difference...
Replaced tank until neighbours get new gas heating system installed.
Cat

IMG_20180118_121950990.jpg

Am I missing something where's the connection and vent ? :D

I though that. It Looks like it is piped into the side of the tank? However I wouldn’t say that was an adequate support would you @ShaunCorbs ??

Oh guys....what now?
Is that not looking like it should?
There was I thinking it was way better than that auld warped wee plastic tank...
Cat

Can you get a pic of the other side where the pipes attach please. If it is possible.

Metal tank does not need to be fully supported underneath. Full support regulations only apply to plastic tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Be aware that you’ll likely require a gas pipe...
Replies
Views
see same. below on this as some one has had...
Replies
Views
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
Test flow rate/pressure of your mains. If it’s...
Replies
Views
Back