Combi boiler pre heat | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi boiler pre heat in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
On average how much a year would you suggest it cost to keep.the hot water preheat on. On a combi boiler. Thanks.

It’s one of them boiler doesn’t have to work as hard on start up and you don’t waste too much water waiting so I would say around even

With the Worcester combination boilers you can set pre heat times like a hot water setting, obviously if the stat is compatible. Work's well with the Nest etc. Just need to wire in the HW like a system programmer.
I'm sure there's similar on other manufacturers.
In general I doubt it uses much in the way of gas consumption and £'s as mention above it saves when you do need it to fire up and water costs. Also for 5 months of the year when heating is on it generally wouldn't be utilised much as boiler already up to temp when you need hot water.

If preheat is available on a non storage combi is there much difference in hot water availability than without preheat?.
Yeah it does make a difference.

Unless it's a long run, I leave the feature switched off. More wear and tear on the boiler that's just not needed. Diverter moving every hour, fan and gas valves kicking in. To what? Save 10 secs of HW delivery. It'll use more gas £ than you waste in water £.

The comfort feature on the Vaillants does work really well, but like I say unless it's a long run it isn't needed IMO.

I've seen diverters prematurely fail, and i'm sure it'd shorten a boilers life. But by how much, is unknown. It's such a variable factor.
Fit one for an oldish lady in a loft she requested the pre heat be left on. As complained the last boiler took too long for water to get hot. Awkward for here to ever turn the pre-heat off with where its located.

Fit one for an oldish lady in a loft she requested the pre heat be left on. As complained the last boiler took too long for water to get hot. Awkward for here to ever turn the pre-heat off with where its located.
Sure it'll be fine. With the lengthy manufactures warranties these days as well it'll be covered for 5/7/10 years dependant on manufacturer.

If a PRV is fitted on the incoming mains, is there not a danger that the pressure will rise excessively high due to expansion as there is no HW flow during preheat?

If a PRV is fitted on the incoming mains, is there not a danger that the pressure will rise excessively high due to expansion as there is no HW flow during preheat?
With the such small storage of water I imagine the expansion is very minimal. Never had any issues myself, but then again I rarely leave the feature on.

Essentially the boiler is in the same state on preheat as it would be if you had just used the DHW and turned the tap off. It has heated primary water in it and just the plate to plate so very little volume, I've never heard of it causing issues.

What preheat temperature sensor is used with preheat?, if its the primary (boiler) water then maybe the diverter valve doesn't c/o during preheat.

Can anyone help elaborate on what is meant by the last 2 points please? Also if the temperature is measured on the flow thermistor the pre heat would come on more in the summer? As the primary flow of the boiler won't be at temperature as the heating wouldn't be getting used.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_203723.jpg
    IMG_20210425_203723.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 18
Yes because the heating isn’t on keeping the boiler hot so would come on more in summer

You will have a longer wait for hot water then ?

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Hi, I sought advice here a few years ago, to...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Thanks to @ShaunCorbs and @cjg for the helpful...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back