Combi boiler pressure | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi boiler pressure in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi I suspect I have a leak in my central heating system. Have to refill it every 3 months when the pressure drops below the operating level. Replaced prv and pressure vessel as that was faulty but still having the same problems. More than will to pay someone to come round . I’m in Orpington Kent area . Can’t see a leak anywhere
Thanks alan

As above micro leaks very difficult to find.
Rad valves worth checking particularly lock shields.
We never fit auto air vents when we can avoid it, always manual ones particularly when they cannot be easily seen.
Auto air vents have a habit of leaking.

You don't say what size boiler/expansion vessel. All expansion vessels should have a filling pressure ~ 0.3 to 0.5bar higher than the pre (initial) charge pressure. Some boilers clearly state what these pressures should be, others are a bit vague. The reason for the above is so as the expansion vessel has a small reserve of water when cold and avoids frequent top ups due to air venting etc. If you know/knew exactly the EV volume and the pre charge and filling pressures then you will know exactly how much you have "lost".
For example, a 10 litre EV with precharge/filling pressures of 1.0/1.3bar will have a water reserve of 1.3 litres but the same EV with precharge/filling pressures of 1.0/1.5bar will have a water reserve of 2.0 litres.
On the other hand if someone had only filled the EV to 1.0bar then there is no water reserve so very difficult to quantify your leak accurately. My only experiences with domestic expansion vessels is one relations oil fired system that has precharge/filling pressures of 1.0/1.5bar with a 12 litre EV, water reserve of 2.4 litres, (I installed it) and I am informed that it has "only" needed topping up once in > 2 years.

Ideal combi chance are main hex split east way to test cut condense and put into a bucket overnight and leave boiler off / no demand

As above micro leaks very difficult to find.
Rad valves worth checking particularly lock shields.
We never fit auto air vents when we can avoid it, always manual ones particularly when they cannot be easily seen.
Auto air vents have a habit of leaking.
I only fitted them coz that’s what was recommended by the last engineer.
Ideal combi chance are main hex split east way to test cut condense and put into a bucket overnight and leave boiler off / no demand
Yes it’s an ideal boiler, I’ll get someone to do that. The problem got worse when we had a bad frost and the condenser pipe froze . I since lagged it and it hasn’t froze since . When it froze before it started pouring out the boiler .I wonder if that did any damage 🤷🏻‍♂️

What model do you have? And what are the cold and hot boiler pressures. Also when topping up does it take minutes rather than seconds to do so?

It’s a logic Combi 35. Not sure what you mean by the hot and cold pressures sorry .
If if goes down to the auto cut off pressure then it takes less 10 seconds to re pressure. Heating isn’t really my field of expertise I’m a fabricator

not good advice from an engineer is it..wait until its serious...like taking a car into the dealer and they say when the engine seizes we will fix the oil leak..
Unlike you speaking from experience, a pressure drop over 3 months is very very minimal. On an old system you will get pressure loss, it's very rare that you have a system that won't loose pressure over 6/12 months.

My advice was, that if it gets any worse then it needs attention. Even if you were topping it up every 2 months it still wouldn't be a major leak.

3 months isn't much, personally at that I wouldn't worry about it.

If it gets worse, then yeah it's something to think about.
Yeah it’s not perfect but 0.5 of a bar isn’t a lot to
Unlike you speaking from experience, a pressure drop over 3 months is very very minimal. On an old system you will get pressure loss, it's very rare that you have a system that won't loose pressure over 6/12 months.

My advice was, that if it gets any worse then it needs attention. Even if you were topping it up every 2 months it still wouldn't be a major leak.
its probably something I’m gonna get looked at in the summer. I’ve just topped it up with a bit more inhibitor.
I just want someone to come sort it, I’m more that happy to pay someone to come do it . Cheers people

It’s a logic Combi 35. Not sure what you mean by the hot and cold pressures sorry .
If if goes down to the auto cut off pressure then it takes less 10 seconds to re pressure. Heating isn’t really my field of expertise I’m a fabricato
The pressure ("gauge") I'm referring to is the one you watch while topping it up. The cold pressure is the displayed pressure when the system is cold, say, before boiler morning start up, the hot pressure is the displayed pressure any time the system has heated up, like right now.

Your boiler has a 8 litre expansion vessel and will have a reserve volume of 1.0 litres of water if pre charged to 0.75bar and refilled to 1.0 bar.

What is the pressure when you top it up and what pressure do you top it up to?.

The pressure ("gauge") I'm referring to is the one you watch while topping it up. The cold pressure is the displayed pressure when the system is cold, say, before boiler morning start up, the hot pressure is the displayed pressure any time the system has heated up, like right now.

Your boiler has a 8 litre expansion vessel and will have a reserve volume of 1.0 litres of water if pre charged to 0.75bar and refilled to 1.0 bar.

What is the pressure when you top it up and what pressure do you top it up to?.
I normally top it up to just over 1 bar. When it’s on full pelt heating up it can go up to about 2.5 bar but normally sits around 2 bar when it’s up to temperature

It has a leak or it does not have a leak, this is not theoretical physics where the leak is a quark lol. Engineers address problems before they become bigger problems, it is often called preventative maintenance. You do it with boiler servicing every year so what makes this different? Is a little gas leak OK to leave ?

Assuming that you are topping it up from 0.5bar (to 1.0bar), you are losing up to 2.0 litres.
You would think you would see that amount of water some . Like a stain on the ceiling. All comes through the loft. How would you go about locating it . I’m at a loss . Was thinking of using one of the leak detection services but I don’t know much about them

IF you are topping up from 0.5bar, are you? then perhaps a bit more than normal. Why don't you carry out that suggested condensate pipe leakage test first, you can do this yourself relatively easily.

Similar plumbing topics

That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
M
Isolate and drain boiler. Pump up expansion...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
Back