Combi or gas only boiler? Replacement needed for Myson Appollo gas only boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi or gas only boiler? Replacement needed for Myson Appollo gas only boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sanjay

Hello All,

I am new to forum and need advice on replacing my now defunct (20 years old) heat only boiler. Sitting in cold is not easy but then can only blame myself for not taking action earlier.

Relevant details are:
  • House: 3 Bed semi detached with gas central heating. It has got a garage attached but not covered by central heating.
  • Boiler: Heat only Myson Appollo (i think it has vent + fan). I understand that it was rated 40000 btu (~ 12 KW ?)
  • Hot water cyclinder: Honeywell.
  • Both Boiler and hot water cyclinder are located in airing cupboard on first floor.
  • Cold water storage: Located in loft.
Additional factors:
  1. One bathroom only on first floor, WC on ground floor.
  2. In bathroom, we have Aqualisa Quartz Digital (concealed with djustable height head) installed. This has apparently got a pump which throws good shower with boost system.
  3. No plans currently to convert loft but may extend gas central heating to garage to use it as office.
Queries:
  1. While combi boilers appear to be the norm these days, will it support shower we have? As the shower costed a lot of money, I do not want to disturb this set up. Will something like valiant 837 or 937 not take care of shower needs? Or as suggested a colleague, if i do not want to change shower, I must keep hot and cold water tank to support shower flow , which in turn means I must stick with gravity system and therefore my choice is restricted to new gas only boiler.
  2. If i go for gas only boiler, can it still be fitted in airing cupboard or as my colleague mentioned, irrespective of boiler i go for, the new one has to be in loft? If correct, Why so?
  3. Please suggest a medium range and top end (a) combi (b) gas only boiler. I will prefer a boiler with least maintenance (preferably with 3-5 year manufacturer warranty), hence mentally bracing myself for higher up front cost.
Thanks for your patience and guidance.

Regards,
Sanj

Hello All,

I am new to forum and need advice on replacing my now defunct (20 years old) heat only boiler. Sitting in cold is not easy but then can only blame myself for not taking action earlier.

Relevant details are:
  • House: 3 Bed semi detached with gas central heating. It has got a garage attached but not covered by central heating.
  • Boiler: Heat only Myson Appollo (i think it has vent + fan). I understand that it was rated 40000 btu (~ 12 KW ?)
  • Hot water cyclinder: Honeywell.
  • Both Boiler and hot water cyclinder are located in airing cupboard on first floor.
  • Cold water storage: Located in loft.
Additional factors:
  1. One bathroom only on first floor, WC on ground floor.
  2. In bathroom, we have Aqualisa Quartz Digital (concealed with djustable height head) installed. This has apparently got a pump which throws good shower with boost system.
  3. No plans currently to convert loft but may extend gas central heating to garage to use it as office.
Queries:
  1. While combi boilers appear to be the norm these days, will it support shower we have? As the shower costed a lot of money, I do not want to disturb this set up. Will something like valiant 837 or 937 not take care of shower needs? Or as suggested a colleague, if i do not want to change shower, I must keep hot and cold water tank to support shower flow , which in turn means I must stick with gravity system and therefore my choice is restricted to new gas only boiler.
  2. If i go for gas only boiler, can it still be fitted in airing cupboard or as my colleague mentioned, irrespective of boiler i go for, the new one has to be in loft? If correct, Why so?
  3. Please suggest a medium range and top end (a) combi (b) gas only boiler. I will prefer a boiler with least maintenance (preferably with 3-5 year manufacturer warranty), hence mentally bracing myself for higher up front cost.
Thanks for your patience and guidance.

Regards,
Sanj[/QUOTE

you seem clued up ,but really it needs a site survey by a Gasafe engineer,who can give you the options,Fitted a gloworm heat only boiler the other day (combi's dont suit everyone)

The HXI is a good boiler

dont seem to get much call for them these days,but works ok nice and quiet.Every one is combi crazy but do remember the ideal classic ff.,baxi solo ff,gloworm ultimate ,'era'... not quite efficient as condensing but a lot more reliable.Fitted a ideal classic 12 years ago ,know for a fact its never been serviced for 12 years(not my decision)..... still going strong,might have 7 years life left in it.Changed a lot of combi's which are under 7 years old and knackered.

am i missing something? you say in your title combi or gas only, you know combi doesnt refer to the fuel used dont you? sorry for asking just making sure, you may have posted this but i cannot see it

Thanks Shell paul, quality, mfsg for your inputs.

fuzzy - What i meant was which type of boiler to chose: combi boilers (e.g. vaillant 837) or conventional gas boiler (e.g. like the one I had i.e. myson appollo). Hope it clarifies.

fuzzy - Not sure if I should have used 'heat only' (for myson appollo) term in subject line ? If so, please excuse me for creating confusion.

if the heating system is in good nick and you are happy with your shower then just go with a new boiler. fitted where ever your gas engineer thinks is best with your approval of course.

id go with heat only boiler for your situation no reson it cant go back where it is now just getting condense out can be difficult but it can be pumped out if need be but usually you can get in to a waste in the bathroom if this is near airing cupboard

Hello All,
T
hanks for your advice. I have now got 3-4 quotes from local gas engineer + British gas. BG, as expected, is the costliest (around £600/- more than closest). Another interesting point was that the current boiler (Myson Apollo) came back to life and is working for last 2 days. Apparently, the fan has starting problems.

Is it worth sticking with Apollo (i.e. get fan replaced, will cost around £200 or so) or go for new boiler? I am kind of risk averse person, so inclined for new installation. Any/all suggestions are appreciated (e.g. I read somewhere that boiler installations in summer months are comparatively cheaper, so see if current boiler can hold out till then).

Cheers,
Sanj

it sounds like your boiler is nearer to the end than the begining, so maybe getting over the winter then going for a new one is summer is a good idea

another advantage of new boiler in summer is its not as much as a rush job, longer daylight hours, dont need heating etc

^^^^^^^^^

Why is it cheaper in the summer?

I want to finish earlier in the summer so jobs sometimes take even longer more days = MORE MONEY :61:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
A
I looked up the faults out of curiosity as I...
Replies
Views
The Orion is about 65% efficient so not great...
Replies
Views
You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
Back