Commercial flueing | Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Commercial flueing in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

D

diamondgas

Hi folks,

I'm new to the commercial stuff so forgive me if i question the dodgy stuff!!! LOL

I was asked to investigate a flueing issue regarding dripping water! I came across the image you are about to see, I hope! ( had limited joy with uploading images with success)

GP02.jpg

I'm hoping the image will expand and you'll see where I've pin pointed the clients issues :)

The three boilers attached to the header are Quinta 85's. The header goes into a conventional (Brick?) chimney (no idea of it's size) There's a condensate pipe exiting the chimney GP03.jpg

And a condensate at the end of the headier. Main problem is that condensate is dripping through the flue joints. Corrosion is evident at nearly all of the flue joints and I have an iky feeling something isn't right but no experience in commercial flue installation to know whether that's right!

There are no POC's by-the-way! Just condensate fluid!!!

I've found the biggest heal possible and kicked it back to the installers ... however I'd appreciate your view, if you are an experienced commercial engineer, to give me more experience when tackling this kind of issue :)

Many thanks, Steve

Billybob150811 :::) I kmow what you mean and i have distanced myself 'responsibility' wise :) However for my own personal experiece i really would like to know if it is 'normal' to accept condenste fluid to 'drip' from the flue?

No it's never.

This is a f to copper after 8 months

5ad11952-83e6-a5af.jpg

I haven't got any pics of erosion of cement or like materials. I will get some soon and post them up

I've come across a leaking roof before. The condensate had eaten through the slates and ended up comin in building

Nasty stuff

i will add i,ve put together quite a few of these single skin s/steel flues the gasked is ordered seperatly from the locking band and i have had sites were buyers havent ordered the gas tight gaskets and if you dont tell them their wrong they will let you carry on in ignorance knowing you carry the can

Simon In your time in the commercial experience .. is it normal to see condensate fluid drip from flue joints? I'm not asking you to be Mr GSR by the way ..lol .. just personal experience :)

I have had it alot. Just reccomened that it gets repaired ASAP. Get my photos out of previous jobs and say its easily fixed.

Never had a custard say no as yet.

But in the case of this I would call in a flue company to give you a quote. It doesn't seem to be of correct spec and to me the bends seem wrong. Not in fluing standards but the construction for condensing boilers

The use of copper makes me wonder and the lack of traps is also another alarm bell

In the com world. We dont really do flues. 90% of the time it is subbed

I have had it alot. Just reccomened that it gets repaired ASAP. Get my photos out of previous jobs and say its easily fixed.

Never had a custard say no as yet.

But in the case of this I would call in a flue company to give you a quote. It doesn't seem to be of correct spec and to me the bends seem wrong. Not in fluing standards but the construction for condensing boilers

The use of copper makes me wonder and the lack of traps is also another alarm bell

In the com world. We dont really do flues. 90% of the time it is subbed

Totally respect that Simon, I'm aware that flueing is sub'ied"! ... With my limited understanding (comercially) i still don't expect corosion to take place as a norm around any flue joints!! However I have concerns regards comercial installs when i see folk install condensing boilers on conventional flues ... seems a contradiction, personally >) :lol:

Totally respect that Simon, I'm aware that flueing is sub'ied"! ... With my limited understanding (comercially) i still don't expect corosion to take place as a norm around any flue joints!! However I have concerns regards comercial installs when i see folk install condensing boilers on conventional flues ... seems a contradiction, personally >) :lol:

It should be lined and tbh. I haven't come across this yet.

But it classed as fd so it not really a conventional flue

It should be lined and tbh. I haven't come across this yet.

But it classed as fd so it not really a conventional flue

omething old --- something new!

I went through this transition, and strill experience it with conventional heating design ... However does comerciail flueing going through the same transition? The difficulty in realising the difference between conventional and condensin flues?

omething old --- something new!

I went through this transition, and strill experience it with conventional heating design ... However does comerciail flueing going through the same transition? The difficulty in realising the difference between conventional and condensin flues?

you will usually find if its wrong it will destroy itself within 6months to a year

far short of that i cant really describe the differences, all depenedant on situation and how installed

I agree Mark :) The installation can only be a couple of years old tops! The amount of condensation in the header will be phenominal I'd imagine. Its a pitty the flue manufactureres don't get to see how poorly their products cope with condensate?? I'm assuming that they are purpose made for condensing boilers, I may be wrong and the material used is inappropriate?

Will be refering the job back to the client to have a flueing expert out ASAP :) Thanks for the advice folks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back