Commercial gas courses | Plumbing Courses | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Commercial gas courses in the Plumbing Courses area at Plumbers Forums

Hi new to fourm ,just going to book up my commercial acs and wanted to see best place to get trained,a well known boiler manufacture is doing a good deal and it's 5days which I'm impressed with,I did say I had limited knowledge in commercial but all domestic acs,I'm on the south coast but the training centres down here i have had mixed feedback via installers,I done my domestic acs in London and was really good,i did think about going back to do commercial but the cost is alot more.I would rather travel and get taught properly rather then go to a centre that pushes you through or goes bust,that's why I'm thinking of the boiler manufactures course,as your trained by trainers who know and understand what needs to be explained,
Any thoughts would be great
Jay

H
Which manufacturer?

hi Masood it's the one everyone loves or hates,I won't name them as it's just as easy to look up who does acs in domestic and commercial.I spoke to them and was impressed with what they had to say,but there are other training centres that offer 3day course for changeover but am worried that the training is rushed,due to limited experience

Admittedly their GB162 range (which is a rebadged Buderus) are pretty sexy but Worcester aren't really big hitters in the commercial market.

Be interesting to hear what their acs training is like.

You want to keep us informed Jay?

And when you need help wrapping your head round testing and purging, because you will need it, just give us a shout.

In the mean time build your post count up to 10 and apply for the gsr private forum. We can freely help you in there mate.

I'd be interested in how you get on with this as I'm thinking of doing the same.

Is is this the best route of going about it?

I've just done commercial changeover - 10 days training, 5 days assessments, and even that was pretty intense. Can't see how they can do it in 3 or 5 days without peoples' heads exploding!

Oh, I see! All these years of mocking me suddenly you all want on the bandwagon!
I've seen the prices going in for boiler changes!!

Other than needing a LL header changing the boilers and small amounts of gas work, there's decent money in it.

Closed shop hop around here and fancy dipping my toe in.

Well... We all know commercial is for those who want an easy life in their twilight years... I'm planning ahead! :p

Twilight years? I'm only 47! Cheeky young whelp! I just make it look easy.

I've seen the prices going in for boiler changes!!

Other than needing a LL header changing the boilers and small amounts of gas work, there's decent money in it.

Closed shop hop around here and fancy dipping my toe in.

No one at all you can work with?

I've just done commercial changeover - 10 days training, 5 days assessments, and even that was pretty intense. Can't see how they can do it in 3 or 5 days without peoples' heads exploding!

Hi guys thanks for all feedback,I service and do breakdowns on domestic/large domestic and getting involved in commercial so, need the next step,I do breakdowns everyday for the last 4years(still learning!) I spoke to Worcester and was upfront,it's only a change over/test&purge/ and boilers/water heaters. And they were fine,with background,I know if I'm not 100% there do extra training which I'm happy to pay of required,I just thought I'm only ever going to work on boilers and maybe pipework,just seemed better as a manufacture that will teach what's required at a really good price!

Twilight years? I'm only 47! Cheeky young whelp! I just make it look easy.

No one at all you can work with?
Not really as they'd know it would be taking work off them.

In my area there's a large company that do 80% of installation work and a smaller company that do the rest, other than the commercial lads employed by the University who do solely maintenance that's about it.

Ive done commercial installs before when working for another company, built my own up over the past 8 years and it's something I'd like get back into.

Just been and removed and isolated a rad in a small nursing home this morning. They asked if I could quote on replacing two of their five boilers which are all Potterton domestic boilers. Is this classed as s commercial installation because of the premesis or domestic because of the appliance?

Be more because of the gas pipe size and volume. With domestic you can't touch anything 35mm / 0.035m3 and over.

Last edited by a moderator:
As always, I'm correct.... Because it's 35mm you can't work on it unfortunately.

Unless, of course, there is an ecv and test point on each lateral coming off the main carcass and that lateral is 28mm or 22mm.

My bad, just been back and it's 42mm with a reducer down to 28mm with lever then goes into the boiler room in 28.

Don"t forget before you do dip your toe in the commercial sector,you will need risk asessement & h&s policies, plus a bigger public liability policy.I use a guy who keeps me up to date with everything i need & he"s not cheap.
Most of the places you end up working with commercial ie schools,prisons,offices,nursing homes you"ll also need security & CRB checks.
Something to bear in mind

SMS are easy but the difficult but is getting paid. I spent 7 years checking spec and BOQ and doing measures knocking thousands off valuations with 1% difference in progress reports. It's not nice dealing with commercial surveyors and finance teams

Similar plumbing topics

hi mughal did u find anyone please keep us...
Replies
Views
Join the Honeywell installers club and you get...
Replies
Views
I wouldn't bother at the moment, don't believe...
Replies
Views
I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
Back