Commercial or domestic gas supply | Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Commercial or domestic gas supply in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hey,

So am due to do some work at a domestic property above a restaurant. The domestic property has been run from the commercial gas supply.

This isn’t right, surely? The domestic property has been fitted with an AECV. I need to upgrade pipe size to water heater.

Gas safe reckon they need their own meter but I just wanted to double check as the gas safe guy sounded like he couldn’t really care less about talking to me.

Aslong as it's a u16 or under yes they can

"A maximum installation volume supplying an individual dwelling or non domestic premises of 0.035 m3"

I posted that ?

Not when gas safe are involved a domestic engineer can work on / change a commercial supply aslong as it's under 35mm and valved so it's under 0.035 what there working on

You posted that!

It's simple to me and it goes like this:-

1 Is the 'Primary' meter U16 or smaller?
2 Is the installation pipework 35mm or less?
3 Is the Maximum installation Volume including the primary Meter less than 35 dm (0.035M)?

A 'yes' to those three will confirm that a domestic engineer can work on it and therefore whether it is a Commercial or Domestic sized Gas installation (pretty much and even though I think it barmy but that is another subject).

So in answer to your comment Shaun First off we need to decide whether the installation is classed as Domestic or Commercial.

If it is classed as Commercial, then a domestic engineer cannot work on it. Even if they section a part off that is smaller than 0.035m. This is because the installation is commercial and at no point does it change into a domestic.

Last edited:
I’m confused now. I haven’t seen the meter yet as I never went to the restaurant because it’s commercial and I don’t have a ticket.

I would think that if I need to shut off the ECV at the primary meter (in restaurant) to work on the section serving the domestic flat, I’d need a commercial ticket? I’m pretty sure the pipework is 35mm steel and then then tees off in 22mm copper to serve the domestic property.

Not sure what to do ???

I would do my work and get paid

It would be something different if you had to tap into the main run / supply

I must admit, it does nark me that the goal posts changed to allow this
I’m confused now. I haven’t seen the meter yet as I never went to the restaurant because it’s commercial and I don’t have a ticket.

I would think that if I need to shut off the ECV at the primary meter (in restaurant) to work on the section serving the domestic flat, I’d need a commercial ticket? I’m pretty sure the pipework is 35mm steel and then then tees off in 22mm copper to serve the domestic property.

Not sure what to do ???

Lol
It's up to you.
I personally would look at the Restaurant installation and decide if it's within your remit and if it is, there's nowt to think about, get on with it.

Order a Meter from BES.

If it's definitely Commercial, you are then working an a section of a Commercial installation. It is a small section, granted but never the less, it's Commercial.
In my opinion.

Ask Gas Safe their thoughts. If they categorise it as within domestic remit, ask them to put it in writing and send it to you. That way you have a come back should you get pulled for anything.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
It all depends on what your doing Servicing...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Smart meter fitter here. I knew from the first...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Clearly you have a Domestic Gas installation...
Replies
Views
Back