Commercial plumbing/ fitting | Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Commercial plumbing/ fitting in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

M

Michael david

Hi all was wondering if any of the lads on here do any commercial plumbing and what u think of it av done both but find commercial a bit better, started fitting a 13tonne pitch heating boiler today never seen nothing like it in me life ! Haha

Surely that's the primary contractors problem for not vetting their subbies correctly

I don't see how you can knock a domestic plumber for doing their best job.

You said you were a primary. And by the sounds of it you have been burned by subbies. Did you ever supply them with a drawing?

Did you know the subbies? Or how did this happen?

There's not many people that I have worked for who don't know of my work. Especially in the commercial market

It is all a learning curve I started out at age 19 and had the nerve of old Nick !
You learn the hard way sometimes and believe me you learn fast !
The architect designs the system half the time or states to be designed by installer hence covering himself !
It is only after the job is long finished you find out the attic showers do not work when the kitchen is being used !
As main contractor you have sent several thousands pricing a job which you may or may not get and you have subbies ringing asking if it is worth pricing as not enough information so unless you know the client personally how do you know what is really required ?
By the time you have copied and sent out maybe 300 copies of plans as enquiries to all concerned do you really think you have the time or resources to double check and ensure all is correct ?

I don't really follow your drift

I get the feeling that your knocking me because of my age

I like to think that I manage very well and have to oversee and manage very large jobs and for my age is very unique.

I feel I am currently doing well and if I don't know my customer and their requirements. I either go to spec. Or to my own high expectations

Wow I have no idea of your age ?
I will listen to anyone and have always worked on never be scared to ask if you do not know as that is far better than being a stubborn old git that always knows best ?
You are never too old or young to learn ?
Yes in an ideal world we all get the exact specs for a job but in reality it rarely happens ?

image.jpgThats the boilers its actually just 6 boilers connected together its crazy how many pipes come off this an its the first time ill have fitted pipework this big its quite daunting but good haha

I just think the style and scope of plumbing moves in to commercial when you move up in size ?
My own experienc has mainly been in construction and working on large houses .
I stopped allowing plumbers to design systems as they never seemed to work I also understand that why should a plumber design a system when he will not be paid for it !
I employed M&S consultant who did design works and drawings which client paid for then plumbers quoted on and found at end of contract you have a happy client and a happy plumber !
Gasafe say 70 kw I believe ? Some of these can use that up in fires and cookers before you even get to heating ?

Plumbers shouldn't be designing systems on large houses as if it doesn't work they will see you in court ,

construction professionals have professional indemnity insurance for a reason

Systems are more dynamic and therefore more complex, simple design of old won't necessarily work . You can design it and spec it all up as well as if not better than m&e consultant but he could also pipe it up perhaps not as well as you but it would work and vice versa. It's a being a master if one not Jack of all . HBecause you have PI doesn't mean it's going to work or be practical to install by as HF said it helps to pay compo.

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The earth of an electric shower is critically...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Friend of mine works at an ACS centre and it’s...
Replies
Views
Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
Back