Compression fitting question | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Compression fitting question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL - it's the way we tell 'em!!!

(For the record, (I'm sure I've said this earlier but in case I didn't) on new fittings I don't use ptfe tape (unless it's seeping after a couple of testings). I only use the compound on the thread and never on the pipe or olive.)

I don't like old paste or using the compound but since using the stuff it's been rare I get a leak.

That's enough from me on this subject - unless of course someone says something that really gets up my nose!!!

putting compound on the thread wont stop the fitting leaking the compound if any should only be smeared on the olive

Exactly my point!

rad valves need ptfe/compound on the thread - COMPRESSSION FITTINGS DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont no how many times I say this people still dont get it . . . . .

Its there in black and white in the manufacturers instructions - do they tell you to smear jointing compound all over your nice new joint, or 'mummify' it with ptfe tape?????

If it is a new joint, and it weaps some water when tested, I usually just give it another 1/2 turn and thats it 100% water tight!

Only if the joint wont stop leaking, then you should apply a sealant to THE OLIVE ONLY!!!

ARGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

(this subject causes me some distress as you can see!)

LOL LOL

And guess what?

The other day I was working with one of these plumbers who was looking over my shoulder and asked, "Why are you only putting it on the thread? It's meant to go over the olive. But with this stuff it helps if you put it over the thread as it lubricates the nut a little so you don't get the jerking."

DOH!!!

Another lesson learned, and thank you Avatar.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Joint compound. Brilliant, Thanks Shaun.
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
It's likely 3/4" in pipe not 22mm. You likely...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Doesn’t really answer any of my questions but...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
If it was on a job of mine I would cut it out...
Replies
Views
Back