Condensate into rain water pipe...YAY or NAY?? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Condensate into rain water pipe...YAY or NAY?? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
The boss and I are installing a boiler tomorrow, and to be honest, the only place to install the condensate is into the rain water pipe. Is this allowed?

I can not see any where that says no.

Also, is there a boss for this type of thing, or do you just cut and seal with silicone?

This is my home work from the governor.

Cheers fellers

You can put it in a rainwater pipe if it leads to a combined drainage system, some manufacturers state you need an external air gap though incase the pipe gets blocked.

Lol this is what cracks me up about this game one person says yay another says nay , end of day a bit of acidic water going down a rainwater drain is not end of world better off that than a gas leak !!!

I WOULD BE CAREFUL TAKING IT INTO RAIN WATER DOWN PIPES, especially if you dont know what or where they run to,if it blocks it will back up and probably drown the boiler in a down pour,had it happen a few weeks ago on a greenstar blew the fan on that

I WOULD BE CAREFUL TAKING IT INTO RAIN WATER DOWN PIPES, especially if you dont know what or where they run to,if it blocks it will back up and probably drown the boiler in a down pour,had it happen a few weeks ago on a greenstar blew the fan on that

Then wouldn't that be the same using a clamp1 gr? Get blockage a boiler can go kaput???
most i have terminated into downpipes you can see where they go to be honest if i go external then inch quarter to nearest drain but at times not possible so have gone into rain water and have inspections on H/a contracts and nothing mentioned about it .

Thanks for the question Mutley Racers! I'd like to know a more official answer myself too.

One thing I have learned is the condensate can eat away at concrete and mortar - I'm wondering what will happen in years to come, if the condensate has been strong enough to erode the mortar mix on drains.

I think I'm correct in saying you can drain it into a limestone soakaway, but must keep it away from the building's foundations, if that's any help. (I've added this because I might be wrong and would like to be corrected, please!)

Thanks for the question Mutley Racers! I'd like to know a more official answer myself too.

One thing I have learned is the condensate can eat away at concrete and mortar - I'm wondering what will happen in years to come, if the condensate has been strong enough to erode the mortar mix on drains.

I think I'm correct in saying you can drain it into a limestone soakaway, but must keep it away from the building's foundations, if that's any help. (I've added this because I might be wrong and would like to be corrected, please!)

Yeah you can put it in a limestone soakaway, think it need to be about 500-600mm away from the house. Different manufacturers may vary on distance, just remember the limestone chippings need changing every year.

You can definitely put it into a rainwater pipe if it leads to a combined drainage system, if the area has a seperate drainage system for rainwater and waste water then you can.

hi, dontknow it all. I know it can go into a soak away, but the soak away has to be about 500mm i think from the building. As you said, away from the foundations. Am sure the client does not want a pipe sticking out half a metre along his patio floor

hi, dontknow it all. I know it can go into a soak away, but the soak away has to be about 500mm i think from the building. As you said, away from the foundations. Am sure the client does not want a pipe sticking out half a metre along his patio floor

It looks as if that's now been cleared up, but I'd still like to know if it's okay for a rain water drain/pipe as per the original question.

can't answer question as don't know answer, but been to several properties where condensate are just ending on outside, so chemicals dripping down wall, spoke to customer and they weren't too bothered. big brown stain down the wall, lovely.

As has been said. I've seen all different scenario's into rain water or soil. If It's good enough for bg It's good enough for me. Manufacturer's and building reg's are making it almost impossible to comply fully. Think they need to try an install before they write the book on it, As for connection, there are a few ways. To answer can you drill a hole and silicone, that's good enough for bg too

Thanks marley, I know i have seen them done like this before. And that is where i got the idea from. So, i shall give the governor our options tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies guys. It does seem that everyone has seemed to have done this once. So, i shall have a go too.

The answer to the question is No.
You are not allowed to put into rain water, I am sorry but I cannot remember the reason. British gas had to change there regs because they were told off for doing it.

never silicone a fitting which will have condense water through it as the condense water eats through many silicone sealants.
I never knew that about it eating through silicone. Although if pipe was inserted into rain pipe and siliconed around pipe it would not come into contact. I do stress that this is not the appropriate means of connection and a suitable connection would be better. It's just a cheat really. You will more than likely pick up a hopper from mkm. Or a y piece fitting, then run rain water pipe to point of entry of condensate into building. You could drop 32mm into this.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
If rainwater pipe discharges to a combined...
Replies
Views
Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
More than fine then in 11/5 tube should be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I am just catching up on some threads...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Plumbing/water heater- spots recently on...
Replies
Views
Back