condensation on toilet cisterns | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss condensation on toilet cisterns in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive managed to stop the condensation forming on our bathroom cistern at last.
I have lined the cistern with a yoga mat (5mm)cut to shape and glued to the inside with a silicone sealer called "stixall".
It sticks to damp surfaces but i managed to dry the cistern with a hot air gun before starting.
I took most of the internal workings out to give me more room to work.
If you put plenty of silicone on,the gap between cistern walls and yoga mat acts as extra insulation.
All joints were sealed with it too.
No more wiping the cistern down every night now.
Hope this solution helps others with the same problem.

who remembers the mad "carpet like" covers you used to see on cisterns all over the place to combat condensation, haha they just soaked it up like a sponge then they stank, used to get a cister and loo seat cover in the same mad wooly material/colour

This thread needs forwarding to 'new scientist' magazine :) Interesting though.

Science is about isolating variables and establishing root causes.

Posters are still talking about insulating cisterns and professing merits of dehumidifyers - hence what learning has gone on?

We need to identify where the vapour is coming from and remove it at source! or recycle it, to utilise the heat energy in that is integral to humid air.

The solution could be as simple as pegging your washing out.

This story will make you laugh. I built an extension years ago. It had a cold water connection that I used for the new toilet (ground floor). I plumbed hot water from the upstairs boiler. All worked fine for 20 years till the original (extension )water pipe started leaking in the yard. That was disconnected. To save time I connected the hot supply to the loo cistern. Hot toilet water completely solved the condensation problem for about one year. Today I`m connecting the cold water pipe the right way again. Clear conscience and maybe a little condensation but not too much as we now have a brand new central heating system. First Time in my Life.
Quotation from a Rugby interview with a new Irish International. "How does it feel to be playing for Ireland?"
"Oh, it`s grand! And d`you know it`s the first time in my life I`ve ever had Two Pairs of Trousers".

The above story about hot toilet water was on tv years ago in a diy program in the Barry Bucknall era.(1950s) I remember my Dad laughing with me when we saw that. Barry Bucknall`s mission in life was to cover up anything that looked like original features. Everything had to be covered up with hardboard if he saw any mouldings.

Ive managed to stop the condensation forming on our bathroom cistern at last.
I have lined the cistern with a yoga mat (5mm)cut to shape and glued to the inside with a silicone sealer called "stixall".
i built a rocket out of yogat pots once.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had central heating fitted last month. The bathroom is above the kitchen .That`s one . The shower is in the same room as the cistern .That`s two.Cold water in the cistern causes the condensation. Last month I reversed a long standing temporary setup downstairs where the hot pipe ran to the cistern as well as the tap. (Due to an external leak in the yard). Now I will change the connection upstairs to fit the hot pipe to the cistern ( on purpose ) ..It`s the easiest solution and the radiator thermostat can adjust the difference. I can fit red and blue controls on hot and cold pipes to adjust for summer time if necessary. It`s a good practical solution to save the nice new carpet.

If you still use the bath it can help to estimate the cold water needed and run that in the bath first.Then add the hot water. There will be far less steam in the room that way . A shower would be best with the extractor fan near the top of the shower cubicle or bath before the steam gets onto the cistern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

B
Sometimes you have to think outside the box...
Replies
Views
I would take a look inside the cistern, make...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
Well persevered, it is always worth the extra...
Replies
Views
Hi ring your local water company were you pay...
Replies
Views
Back