Condensing boiler is not for me | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Condensing boiler is not for me in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Centralheatking

I am a heating contractor/installer/employer with many years experiencenow retiring a bit from installation (knees etc)I would like to canvass some opinions. My friends in low places at BGtell me of horrendous failure rates of condensing boilers. Lots to do with crap in old systems that clog up miniscule heat exchangers- my system is old and I flush it every so often with water and gifts !I have a conventional (system) 30kw wall hung 100 Gloworm its great BUT ifI need to replace it STUFF the rules can I get similar in this country or can i just order it from abroad.All unconventional thoughts welcomecentralheatking

You answered the question yourself.... horrendous failure rates due to crap in old systems!

Clean the system properly prior to installing your new condensing boiler & you will be fine.

I get the ferrous aspect but from what I have been told its other components that fail
with in a few years also esp the worcs . In the old days proper boilers lasted 15-20 years plus.

We have many old but lovely cast iron rads they will be an on going prob.

As an engineer with many years product dev experience I feel that condensors are
intermediate technology. I suppose I will just get someone to rebuild what goes wrong.

Anybody got a decent casing for a 100 ultima gloworm that they are scrapping ? in the

West Lancs area ? Pints bought in appreciation

Have a good weekend all of you

Thanks for any ideas

It's the old question, what's the best , efficiency or reliability. the latest boilers have become over complicated, too many electronic parts, better to look after your existing boiler/ system imo, It will need replacing eventually though and when the time comes, you could replace the heat exchanger [ if you can find one] replace gas valve, burner, boiler stat, etc, then you virtually got a new boiler, good for another 30 years or so, probably cost as much as a new condensing boiler though, but if it's reliability you want, might be the way to do it.

You can still fit non condensing boilers but they have to be band B there are not many brands that make them as theres not many people that want them.

A good flush and something like a magnaclean do work wonders and if the water is looked after then they dont tend to cause to many sludge related problems.

New boilers do tend to have more problems and will not last as long than the older cast iron heat exchanger, Gas valve, Thermostsat, and thermocouple boilers but everything has their time and it will come to the point that it will have to be changed due to corrosion.

I don't think the issue is that condensing boiers are un reliable in general, I'm sure if modern non-condensing boilers are equally unreliable, its just the manufacturers make them all to a price nowadays, rather than to last.

Dont worry to much about it ! the way gas prices are going up you wont be able to afford to turn it on !! you will have to find another way to keep warm ! Try This :hurray:

I am a heating contractor/installer/employer with many years experiencenow retiring a bit from installation (knees etc)I would like to canvass some opinions. My friends in low places at BGtell me of horrendous failure rates of condensing boilers. Lots to do with crap in old systems that clog up miniscule heat exchangers- my system is old and I flush it every so often with water and gifts !I have a conventional (system) 30kw wall hung 100 Gloworm its great BUT ifI need to replace it STUFF the rules can I get similar in this country or can i just order it from abroad.All unconventional thoughts welcomecentralheatking
BG is not what it once was. Thee are too many clueless halfwits working there now. They may be able to swap parts but they know nothing about systems.
You can still buy classics or some vokeras if you come up over the border but you will probably be better opening up the fireplace and buying a chainsaw the way the price of gas is going.

Last edited by a moderator:
All these old boilers over the border ! maybe we should take up a boiler smuggling ? :o_O:

I know the boiler that will suit your system, THE TUBE HEAT EXCHANGER IS MADE IN COPPER, 6 TUBE LONG 60 cm, the DHW heath exchanger is a long serpentine of copper and it is always wet by the boiler hot water, les complications as there is not any complicated and fault prone 3 ways valve, there is only a flow switch when there is DHW request the electronic stops the pump and will give the max power to the burner. Simple isn't it?
These boilers last longer my brother in Italy had one that still running efficiently after 25 years.
I am trying to import them, the manufacturer stated that they are particularly suitable for old system iron pipes and cast iron rads.
Here the link of the website [DLMURL]http://www.mcncaldaie.com/BLUCOND.pdf[/DLMURL] the blucond is actually a condensing boiler, but there are other models, if you're interested I will help you with translations cos the website is only in Italian.
Regards
ggman

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Below is a sizing chart based on a heat loss...
Replies
Views
Yes, a 24kW will be fine - just what you need.
Replies
Views
Thanks for this summary advice ... I have...
Replies
Views
Thanks guys. Just finished and managed to set...
Replies
Views
D
The return temperature at the boiler governs...
Replies
Views
Back