Confused Over Which Combi Boiler I Should Get-Please Help! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Confused Over Which Combi Boiler I Should Get-Please Help! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt C

Hi Everyone out there. This is my first post. I'm not a plumber but I really could do with some pro advice. I know that there is already similar posts and advice about boilers etc but they seem so conflicting I end up going round and round in circles! So I've decided to try and get some advice specific to my house needs.

Here's the situation. I have a medium sized 3 bed semi with 2 reception rooms and a single extention (it's all open plan down stairs). The current very old system (cylinder in bathroom and loft tank, boiler in outside cupboard under house) is coming out and being replaced with a combi in the under stairs cupboard. I have 9 rads in total, most of which are medium to large size. There is Mrs C who likes her baths! and 2 juniors.

I have been looking at some mid price boilers such as Baxi Duotec, Glow Worm Ultracom and Ideal Logic but don't know wether to go Vaillant Ecotec or WB 30. The Ideal Logic comes in at around £750 and the Vaillants and WB's well over a grand. It seems to be a lottery with all the makes!

A smaller casing would be an advantage as it is going in the under stairs cupboard where space is restrictive but it's not a deal breaker. I'll also have a Magnaclean or Fernox filter fitted.

Sorry for waffling on..

I apologise in advance for probably repeating similar posts that are already out there. Thanks Guys, Matt.

i aint ver payed over £1000 for a vailaint, ive picked up vailaints for £800 and i mean top of the class, you need to shop around more, and a 28kw should be fine.

Cheers Hardy1. I've narrowed it down to a 28-30kw. I'll shop around for the Vaillants at bit more and see what comes up. Thanks.

ad go for a 33 kw baxi duo-tec or potterton heatmax same boiler just the baxi has fancy case and is £150 dearer just wonder why your buying it yourself as your not allowed to fit it as its classed as a gas fitting so your not suppose to even hang it on the wall also your installer should be able to get it cheaper than you as he will be trade and as long as he no,s you have an idea of prices it should be a similar price to what he gets it for

Hi sparral1100. The Baxi does look good. I have a gas safe installer doing the work. He has suggested I choose the boiler I'd prefer and he would be happy to fit whichever I decide.

Go with a Vaillant, the Ecotec pro models are same as the dearer models but have different front panel. i have fitted many of these and never have any problems. The 28kw works out to £680 plus VAT.

matt c the potterton heatmax 33kw is the same boiler as duotec baxi/potterton same company just has a fancy shiney badge 33kw will fill you bath up in about 10mins or maybe a bit less and does 13.5 ltr min i dont fit the vailiants dont like them

i fitted a 30kw Glen Dimplex combi in my house a few months ago, no issues with it at all and it is very quiet when on, its all about flow rates to the taps, even a 24kw will run your 9 rads, but the bigger the boiler the better the flow rate & temp rise to the taps, so go 30kw plus in my opinion, make and model doesnt matter as they are all mince get something with a 5yr warrenty then bin it and buy a new one :-(

I would forget the combi with 2 sprogs plus mam and dad It aint going to provide your hot water needs regardless of the kw input.
Many on her would recommend otherwise as we all have our preference but a new boiler does not have to be a combi

Go for the Vailliant or Wocerster Bosch...avoid Ideal...utter dogs bobbins..................

I would forget the combi with 2 sprogs plus mam and dad It aint going to provide your hot water needs regardless of the kw input.
Many on her would recommend otherwise as we all have our preference but a new boiler does not have to be a combi

A new boiler boiler does not have to be a combi you are correct, but he has quoted as saying he wants a combi. Indeed he could go with a new boiler and unvented cylinder etc at a stupid cost, and a decent combi will be fine for an average family home. Spend as much as you can on the boiler, if you can afford it buy Vaillant or Worcester they are miles ahead of others in my opinion. Check breakdown and callout logs and these 2 are way way above other boilers for reliability, but it also depends on the guy fitting the system.

You need to check your flow rates and water pressure on the cold main before you make a decision, there's no point getting a combi which will give you 13.5 lpm if you've only got 9 lpm coming into the house. If your hot water usage is high then a combi probably wouldn't provide you with enough hot water regardless of how big its output is, you may be best sticking with stored hot water.

go for a WB 30 si, find a acredited installer get 7yr manufacturers warranty and its a smaller boiler in size so should fit under your stairs nicely, jobs a gud un

A new boiler boiler does not have to be a combi you are correct, but he has quoted as saying he wants a combi. Indeed he could go with a new boiler and unvented cylinder etc at a stupid cost, and a decent combi will be fine for an average family home. Spend as much as you can on the boiler, if you can afford it buy Vaillant or Worcester they are miles ahead of others in my opinion. Check breakdown and callout logs and these 2 are way way above other boilers for reliability, but it also depends on the guy fitting the system.

You have yours I have mine thats, our choice its only my suggestion I did state others would differ you are obviously one of them. but it does not mean you or me are correct or incorrect.
Its down to money at the end of the day. A decent combi may do the job but a proper system will definatly do the job with no may about it

Thanks all you guys out there for the responses today. I appreciate all the feedback. The reason for going combi is because the bathroom is tiny and has a water cylinder in there at the mo. By removing the cylinder and cupboard we will get a bit more much needed space. I would also like to board out the loft down the line. I think I need to check the funds and see if I can stretch it to go V or WB. The 30si does seem sweet.- as does the Ecotec pro 28. I'll make sure I get one with a 5 year warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for that, I'll make sure they are checked out first,Matt. (the water pressures and flow rates).

If thats the case then its a Valliant a baxi or a ideal logic WB are not what they used to be

Thanks again everyone. Think I've narrowed it down it a Remeha Avanta 28, a Potterton Gold 28 and a Viessmann Votodens 100 (just decided to put this one in the running after more research).

Looking at the case dimensions of the Potterton and it appears to be a bit of a beast which is off putting as it is going in the pantry under the stairs. The Avanta size makes it very tempting but I have been told that the Viessmann is the best. Does anyone know if any of these models are quiet?

I'm off to make some cardboard cut outs - sad I know. Cheers all, Matt.

As a landlord with several boiler makes in various properties, five years ago I favoured WB, but lately I have been impressed by the Ideal Logic range (if on a budget look at the Ideal Independent - basically the same as the logic with external filling loop etc). A number of people say avoid ideal, but I dont agree with the. Yes, Ideal have a terrible reputation, particularly with the Isar/Icos models, but the logic range is not comparable. People who are fitting the logic, and finding them good.

The one the I would avoid like the plague is ferroli. - I have an 18month old optimax, that I am thinking about taking out and putting in an ideal.

Go for the Vailliant or Wocerster Bosch...avoid Ideal...utter dogs bobbins..................

In reply to myself, just finished installing a Logic 30 ( customers own purchase). Very straightforward to install, fired up first time and seems a quality piece of kit.

I have said from day one that the Logic is a decent boiler and I have fitted loads in the 3 nearly 4 years they have been on the market. But Ideal did not do any favors for themselves with Any boiler after the Classic which was bullet proof (almost).
People will be hard to convince but that's Ideals own fault

Thanks all you guys for the new posts.

If I'd never joined this site I would have gone for an Ideal Logic! But that many people have put me off I feel I can't go down that road now. Even the local plumbers merchant refused to sell me one! I'm down to a choice of 3 now (just added another one). Remeha Avanta 28, Potterton Gold Combi 28 and the Viessmann Vitodens 100w 26 or 30 (although the Viessmanns are pushing the budget abit too much. I gotta choose by Monday.

To help others in their quest I'll post details of the one I go for in the end and report any feedback.

Viessmann Vitodens Good boiler but to expensive your nearly into intergas money which I must say is the best boiler you can install.
Is this for your own home ?

Viessmann Vitodens Good boiler but to expensive your nearly into intergas money which I must say is the best boiler you can install.
Is this for your own home ?

Hi, Yeah it's for my home. I didn't want to go with my plumbers original boiler make choice and he said he would be happy for me to research what was out there and choose myself as he has no preference and wanted to remain impartial. He will then go and get it.

Just to let folk know I've decided on the Rehema Avanta Plus 28 combi.

Seems a good solid choice. Lots of positive feedback. 5 year (kind of) warranty. Compact size case. Potterton Gold too big and heavy. Was unsure about the Viessmann and it cost the most and was only 26kw.

Thanks again everyone for the advice. Cheers, Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The wb 8000s are not great from my experience
Replies
Views
If the pressure is going that high with the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
If you turn it off completely you will have no...
Replies
Views
Di do not know much about this heating stuff...
Replies
Views
A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
Back