Confused Over Which Combi Boiler I Should Get-Please Help! | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Confused Over Which Combi Boiler I Should Get-Please Help! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone out there. This is my first post. I'm not a plumber but I really could do with some pro advice. I know that there is already similar posts and advice about boilers etc but they seem so conflicting I end up going round and round in circles! So I've decided to try and get some advice specific to my house needs.

Here's the situation. I have a medium sized 3 bed semi with 2 reception rooms and a single extention (it's all open plan down stairs). The current very old system (cylinder in bathroom and loft tank, boiler in outside cupboard under house) is coming out and being replaced with a combi in the under stairs cupboard. I have 9 rads in total, most of which are medium to large size. There is Mrs C who likes her baths! and 2 juniors.

I have been looking at some mid price boilers such as Baxi Duotec, Glow Worm Ultracom and Ideal Logic but don't know wether to go Vaillant Ecotec or WB 30. The Ideal Logic comes in at around £750 and the Vaillants and WB's well over a grand. It seems to be a lottery with all the makes!

A smaller casing would be an advantage as it is going in the under stairs cupboard where space is restrictive but it's not a deal breaker. I'll also have a Magnaclean or Fernox filter fitted.

Sorry for waffling on..

I apologise in advance for probably repeating similar posts that are already out there. Thanks Guys, Matt.

Normally i would only say Vailant,but had a run fitting Ideal Logics no probs yet,Ideal used to be poor but so were Skoda,need i say more?

When I was getting advice on what boiler to get for my new central heating system someone said "get a boiler with a stainless steel heat exchanger as they last longer than aluminium ones."

A bit late to this conversation. But here's my tuppence worth...

Combis can be great if you've only 1 shower, any more you'll either need to be good at organising a shower rota or go for stored hot water (open vented or unvented).

The next question for is what is your water supply like, as said earlier there's no point getting a 35kw combi if you've less than (ohh) 14 liters per min. If you've 9 litres per min, then a 24kw combi will be all you need, though you won't get that great a shower 'experience'. If getting the full use out of a 'rainfall' shower is essential, then you'll need a stored hot water system.

If you've a decent cold main supply (around 20 litres per min - check MI's) then unvented could be a useful solution. If the water supply is substantially less, then you'll be looking at an open vented system with a cold water storage tank in the attic.

There are more steps to go through, but the about is my starting point when trying to work out what would best fit my clients' needs

A bit late to this conversation. But here's my tuppence worth...

Combis can be great if you've only 1 shower, any more you'll either need to be good at organising a shower rota or go for stored hot water (open vented or unvented).

The next question for is what is your water supply like, as said earlier there's no point getting a 35kw combi if you've less than (ohh) 14 liters per min. If you've 9 litres per min, then a 24kw combi will be all you need, though you won't get that great a shower 'experience'. If getting the full use out of a 'rainfall' shower is essential, then you'll need a stored hot water system.

If you've a decent cold main supply (around 20 litres per min - check MI's) then unvented could be a useful solution. If the water supply is substantially less, then you'll be looking at an open vented system with a cold water storage tank in the attic.

There are more steps to go through, but the about is my starting point when trying to work out what would best fit my clients' needs

Youre two years too late friend :) try not to revive old threads like these :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The wb 8000s are not great from my experience
Replies
Views
If the pressure is going that high with the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
If you turn it off completely you will have no...
Replies
Views
Di do not know much about this heating stuff...
Replies
Views
A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
Back