Connect old rad valves to new rad | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Connect old rad valves to new rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

But as I wrote in the OP that would mean draining down the system every time I change a rad.
But then you would have a nice shiny new valve on each rad?? You could try bunging it if it’s an open vent system

But then you would have a nice shiny new valve on each rad?? You could try bunging it if it’s an open vent system

Only just recently had a Brit Gas bod here for two days, re-plumbing the airing cupboard, rodding out some pipes, replacing some plastic with copper, loads of upstairs floorboards up, fitted a filter and treated the system. It was he who recommended replacing the rads one by one as and when. This is the first one I’m changing. Yes it’s open vented but I’m wary of messing with the system too much now that he’s got all rads working again. I know I could tie up the ball valve in the loft, drain it all down and then add inhibitor before releasing the ball valve again but as I say, I’m wary of messing with it. I’m happy with the old valves at this stage. I could always change them all in one go at some time in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

Only just recently had a Brit Gas bod here for two days, re-plumbing the airing cupboard, rodding out some pipes, replacing some plastic with copper, loads of upstairs floorboards up, fitted a filter and treated the system. It was he who recommended replacing the rads one by one as and when. This is the first one I’m changing. Yes it’s open vented but I’m wary of messing with the system too much now that he’s got all rads working again. I know I could tie up the ball valve in the loft, drain it all down and then add inhibitor before releasing the ball valve again but as I say, I’m wary of messing with it. I’m happy with the old valves at this stage. I could always change them all in one go at some time in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)
If that’s your thought then look at bunging the f&e tank. Then you’ll be able to remove the valves one at a time as you replace the rads

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll give it a try next time :)
I don't see the problem. As you're happy to keep the valves, you can isolate the rad so you don't need to drain the system. Obvs a radful will come out, catch as much as much as you can, to minimise mess and so you can return it to the F/E tank (after settling out any sludge). Unscrew and re-use the rad tails with your new spanner. If the new rad is the same length, you should be able to screw the tails in so the overall length is the same, but there's likely to be a few mm play in the pipes anyway. If to get the right length you need to stop before the tail is dead tight you might be better off with PTFE tape (plenty of it) rather than paste, but the pros here might correct me on that.

I’ve only just realised that I rudely never updated this thread.

Using my shiny new radiator spanner I was able to swap the tails from the old rad to the new, connect up with a sliding extender on one end and the job was a good ‘un. Thanks for the help guys :)

Similar plumbing topics

Ok thanks! Towel rail very tall so I don’t...
Replies
Views
Whatever you use, pressure test before tiling.
Replies
Views
I decided not to change the radiators and have...
Replies
Views
Last year we had a new pressurised system put...
Replies
Views
F
That olive is too close to end of pipe to stop...
Replies
Views
student plumber
S
Back