Connecting a boiler to a buffer with UFH | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Connecting a boiler to a buffer with UFH in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tails_naf

Hi All,

I was wondering what the best way to connect an oil boiler to a 300L buffer tank would be.

What I have:
A 300L tank (with solar) for DHW - the boiler can connect to a coil on this (I think this part is ok)

A second tank for CH - this supplies UFH and towel rads.
Currently I have the boiler connecting to the bottom coil, and the UFH connected to the primary flow and return.

Question:
My concern is that the boiler cannot 'efficiently' heat the tank via the coil - the flow and return seem quite hot, and the tank takes a long time to heat.
Would it be better to have both the boiler and UFH connecting to the primary tank inputs and leave the coil 'spare' for future use.

Would there be any problems with doing this?

The idea would be to have the boiler and ufh return at the bottom of the tank, and the ufh flow out the top connection, and boiler flow via the top-side connection.

UFH:
Another mostly unrelated question - the upstairs and downstairs UFH have a circulating pump built in to the manifold - but do I need another pump back at the tank itself to push the water to the manifolds, or will the pump in the manifold automatically 'draw' the water it needs?

Towel Rads
I intend to have the towel rads on the same circuit as the under-floor, but would have a pump for them back at the tank. Do I need any non-return-valve, or motorized valve with these, or do the pumps generally have them built in. i.e. if the pump is off, will it stop the flow in that circuit? I want to prevent accidental flow around circuits that are supposed to be off...

I really appreciate any and all answers to these questions. Unfortunately things are not going so well on this project, and sound advice would be a huge help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
IMO, the boiler should be derated to ~ 20kw...
Replies
Views
Set the ufh mixer to 30-40 / what the design...
Replies
Views
Suggest changing the Kw from Auto to 6kw, also...
Replies
Views
Back