Connecting to cast iron soil stacks?? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Connecting to cast iron soil stacks?? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I see a piece of 3/16" now, my back and other parts start to ache with the memory of Spanish windlasses and miles of the stuff. The sound of the buzzer sounding in my ears, the mud up to your backside, the exploding lead running out from around the squirrel you could not get quite tight enough as it hit the pool of water

EEK! There are plenty of good reasons that I like being retired.

The games okay on a lazy sunny day, but in a freezing Winter when your soaking wet and dirty and have to stay that way all day with overtime as well if required!! But then its been goodish to me and supplied me with a living for years.

Plumbing at the coal face so to speak Bernie. No cushty fancy bathroom jobs in a nice warm house :smile:

Piles at 16 through sitting on cast pipe, punching them up in the middle of winter, the proper start to a career in the plumbing trade !
God who would have thought I would turn into one of them old buggers who reminisced about the good old day's? "Before that new fangled copper pipe came in", "it's not as skilled as the old lead you know" "they are making it so easy now days, anyone will be doing it soon" I can still hear them now.
And I would say "silly old fool" what does he know, opening up these bronze welded joints in this 4" copper is not easy" Then what do you know I am one ! & plumbing, like life, goes on at pace, difficult to explain that to the youngsters.

no skill left in plumbing now unless you work on historic buildings

I dunno Steve - I think its just different skills.

Sure, there isn't much call for lead caulking these days, but then your grandad didn't have to fault-find on a digital pumped shower system.

If it wasn't skilled, then all these six week wonders would be as good as the time-served guys wouldn't they? And since they clearly aren't, then the experienced guys must have skills that the newbies haven't?

I expect that older car mechanics complain that there is no skill left in their trade, but I gave given up doing my own car maintenance - because the skills that my dad taught me for fixing cars simply don't apply any more. That doesn't mean that car mechanics aren't skilled - its just that the skills are different to the ones I learned.

well finally guys, I managed to get hold of one of those Osma rubber cast socket fitting. It cost me £26.99. Expensive. But, I have not got a clue what cold caulking is and so don't have the foggiest idea on how to do it. Luckily, I was not in a rush to get this job finished. But, someone asked me to post pictures so here they are. I hope they are what you guys suggested. 2012-10-09 12.59.26g.jpg2012-10-09 12.52.32e.jpg

cheers for all the help fellers. I wish I could get hold of these rubbers cheaper. It is definately worth having a few in stock. I think they're better than using a fernco. Just seems more proper

well finally guys, I managed to get hold of one of those Osma rubber cast socket fitting. It cost me £26.99. Expensive. But, I have not got a clue what cold caulking is and so don't have the foggiest idea on how to do it. Luckily, I was not in a rush to get this job finished. But, someone asked me to post pictures so here they are. I hope they are what you guys suggested.View attachment 8096View attachment 8097
Looking good mutley!!, just one comment, could (or did) you vent the end of the soil run ?

You can but expensive way, better if possible to have the vent pipe at the end of the run i.e. at the new WC end & then no need to have other one near the CI con.

oh really, can you tell me the reasoning for this? I have not seen it before chris?

oh right, i thought it was alright to have a wc run 6 metres long to go into the main stack? I have never seen a toilet run with the vent coming off the end? So you're saying It would be best to take out the vent that goes up from garage, and put it into the tee access point where wc enters?

You are right you can go up to 6M un-ventilated but much better (if poss) to vent right at the end of the run. Maybe a branch in place of the bend going in to the WC & then continue up to vent.

Oh I see. I get you Chris. But also leave the main vent tin place? Thanks for the help

Am I missing something here? He did vent it at the end of the run.

At the end of the branch to the toilet I think he means Danny. How's your new lawn doing? Did it survive the drought

Middle? Where the vent is now is where the original vent was, so I just put a tee in and added another wc.

Middle? Where the vent is now is where the original vent was, so I just put a tee in and added another wc.
Yes I know & you did not need to put it back there but could have moved it up to the end (head) of the run where the new WC is now.
There endith the Level 2 sanitation lesson for today mutley, night night.
CW

As Chris says it is technically it's best if the vent is at the head of the run but there is nothing wrong in what you did Mutley. You are well within the run length.

Btw. Much more professional looking than the bodge up look of a fernco :wink:

Well I have taken on board for next time the vent at the end of the run. And when I do do it this way on any stack, do I still leave the original vent in its place?

I do like the rubber Tamz. It does give a nice neat finish hey. Thanks for th advice

Level 2 lesson. Boo. I did level 2 ages ago. I did not learn about moving vent to end of run though. Thanks though Chris. I shall remember this for my next job. It's mutley appreciated

thats great danny. The reason I remembered is because I had just put my new turf down about a month before. Am loving it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Use ss 304 forged fittings...(connector)
Replies
Views
https://www.monsterplumb.co.uk/floplast-110mm-x...
Replies
Views
I need a quote to replace a soil stack ( cast...
Replies
Views
Providing there is a finned seal and the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
D
Very hard to determine what you can and can't...
Replies
Views
Back