Constant flow automatic bypass valves | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Constant flow automatic bypass valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Re John.g's reply: spot on!
I was writing identical comments but was beaten to the draw.
The underlying problem is that a pump such as any in the Grundfos domestic range running in proportional-pressure mode has its lowest pressure at lowest flow (or no flow) - typically when all the TRVs shut on a hot day or when there the CH + DHW demand ceases and the boiler tells the pump to overrun for a few minutes. A pressure-driven ABV set to this pressure will simply open all the time.
And when I looked at the Tacosetter's tech spec, it appeared to operate as a fixed valve with a flow meter. Perhaps the flow set-point is resilient to pressure changes but this wasn't obvious from the spec: perhaps someone more familiar with them can correct me.

Re John.g's reply: spot on!
I was writing identical comments but was beaten to the draw.
The underlying problem is that a pump such as any in the Grundfos domestic range running in proportional-pressure mode has its lowest pressure at lowest flow (or no flow) - typically when all the TRVs shut on a hot day or when there the CH + DHW demand ceases and the boiler tells the pump to overrun for a few minutes. A pressure-driven ABV set to this pressure will simply open all the time.
And when I looked at the Tacosetter's tech spec, it appeared to operate as a fixed valve with a flow meter. Perhaps the flow set-point is resilient to pressure changes but this wasn't obvious from the spec: perhaps someone more familiar with them can correct me.

Could this be Honeywell's answer to the Caleffi?.

Attachments

• Honeywell Balancing valve.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Sorry I’m lost why is this a problem if you don’t want a bypass valve install a bypass rad eg airing cupboard

Depending on the sys it’s more to go wrong and service it’s only a domestic system

The Honeywell VT5005T referred to (in a link) by John.g is indeed
a more flexible version of the Caleffi Autoflow 127. The Caleffi valves (the 127 and its big brothers the 121-126) have changeable fixed flow-rate cartridges whereas the flow-rate of the V5005T is set by the installer and can be varied.
It is horses for courses: the V5005T is twice the price of a 127 but you get 'variability' for your money. However, the V5005T is intended for controlling the flow and temperature of its inputs - it is not just a flow limiter, and the temperature control is regulated by its actuator.
Of technical interest - overkill for a domestic installation - are Honeywell’s electrical actuators (e.g. the M4410E/K) that can be bolted on, such that the V5005T operation can be overridden proportionately (i.e. not just on/off) by an external controller with variable (PWM) output. In an ideal world the V5005T would be normally off (no flow), and the boiler would have a suitable PWM output that would enable it to signal to the V5005T actuator when input flow rate was falling towards the minimum.
(Whether the VT5005T can be set to ‘no-flow’ until remotely actuated I don’t know and the documentation I have seen doesn't say)

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
With the system as it is at the moment, I'd...
Replies
Views
Any gas boiler's HEX can stand a static head...
Replies
Views
I should have said "S-plan plus", of course!
Replies
Views
Or just completely ignore you
Replies
Views
Thanks for the reply. The ABV is external to...
Replies
Views
Back