Continuous stream of water in waste pipe | Bathroom Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Continuous stream of water in waste pipe in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hello,

I am a homeowner and new here. I have a mysterious (for me) issue related to my house plumbing system. Recently (a few months ago) I noticed that there is a constant stream of water in waste drain pipe of my plumbing system. The stream of water in the waste drain pipe only stops when I close the mains. In the last few months, my water bill has jumped up significantly. I am unable to understand why is there so much water running through the waste drain pipe when, no taps are being used in the house.

Below, I have attached a picture of my plumbing system highlighting a few points

1. The waste drain pipe which has a constant stream of water, regardless of usage in the house
2. Grundfos Selectric UPS2 15-50/60 130 pump. This used to be on, with a control switch. I have not seen it on for months now. Not sure if this is related to the issue in point 1
3. Pipe through which I can feel the water flow to the waste drain pipe
4. Water software in my plumbing system so all the water to the house flows through the water softener.

I would like to know why is this happening? I hope someone can point me into the right direction so that I know what to investigate.

Thank you for your help.
Andy

plumbing.png

Andy

If you PM message me or email [email protected] I can forward you a fault finding tree for systems like yours. Unfortunately, I cannot post it here - it has a copy write restriction on it

I doubt that the RO is the culprit. With respect to your cylinder, I have now properly identified it - it is not and unvented system.

Apologies for any confusion.

Andy

If you PM message me or email [email protected] I can forward you a fault finding tree for systems like yours. Unfortunately, I cannot post it here - it has a copy write restriction on it

I doubt that the RO is the culprit. With respect to your cylinder, I have now properly identified it - it is not and unvented system.

May I ask why not post it up here then for everyone ?

Shaun,

It is a manufacturer’s document that has copyright protection (stamped all over it) - if it did not have that, I would openly post it.

As and when I get time, I will revamp it into a document that can go into the public domain

Last edited:
Andy

That's very kind. Thank you. I have sent you an email.

Sorry, Rob - is that a question for me? I wouldn't know. How do I ascertain if it is to do with WC?
Well yes really and others, internal overflows are a bind because they can go un noticed
Did a McCarthy Stone Dev locally that was getting thro £500 of water extra every month because the overflows were all running due to a poor press button siphon .unit wearing out after only 2 years use..loads of money, 85 x new replacement siphons thank you very much...we went on holiday on that one
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Have I missed something completely here? Is the water not flowing through the tundish then? If so, why are we talking about toilets and water softeners? I only ask out of interest because I'm lost on this one.

Have I missed something completely here? Is the water not flowing through the tundish then? If so, why are we talking about toilets and water softeners? I only ask out of interest because I'm lost on this one.
Yes Stig I agree but when the op just goes away we often carry on and speculate ..its not an un healthy process because from my point of view we all learn so much more ..UKPF is a really good place to give and learn in my opinion
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Following on from Frelon, my softener had a depth gauge measuring from the base of the tank. The guage was held in place in a plastic catch. It had become loose and had risen so that the fill level was above the waste out point.

Looks like you have a water softener. If so has someone turned off the power to it? If so it can stick in regeneration mode and constantly back wash. This will cause what you are hearing.
To confirm turn one of the isolating valves circled in the post above this .

Looks like you have a water softener. If so has someone turned off the power to it? If so it can stick in regeneration mode and constantly back wash. This will cause what you are hearing.
To confirm turn one of the isolating valves circled in the post above this .
Many water softeners do not need a power supply (twin tank models), so this is a red herring! You need to isolate the softener by doing what I suggested earlier. Of course this is assuming the brine from the regeneration process is passing through your problem waste pipe. We need to confirm that the softener is not stuck in regeneration.

Hello All

Thank you for the interest. No, I haven't found the solution yet. I was due to go on holiday when I posted here and didn't want to touch plumbing before leaving for holidays.

I have - however - ascertained that the water flows through even when running directly through mains - no water softener involved. (Just FYI - my water softener does require power supply) and yes, I was using quite a lot of salt because all water was just passing through the water softener and down the tundish.

Got back a couple of weeks ago and this weekend I tried to disconnect the lower Callefi valve pipe that runs through to the tundish, and turned mains on. And the water was rushing straight through the Callefi valve into the bucket.

So I believe it's the lower Callefi valve that's the problem? Is that the only problem or do you think there could be something else? Also I don't understand how it could just fail without any reason? Is there a way to 'reset' it?

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Best thing to do first is to read the relevant...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Call the building manager/ owner
Replies
Views
  • Question
Bit high for flashing on the window
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just screwdrivers. Although it’s wise to back...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Has s/he confirmed that there can be no...
Replies
Views
Back