copper pipe - how to disguise? what kind of paint? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss copper pipe - how to disguise? what kind of paint? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

reano72

Hi,
We have copper pipe (for gas) on the external walls of our house as just had gas central heating installed.
Its very shiny and I don't want it to get stolen and it doesn't look great either, and its quite thick, and attached with white clips.
What would you advise I do to disguise it? I have been recommended red oxide paint but the can says its not for non-ferrous metals and instead to use something like Hammerite special metals primer (which is red!). Should I then paint the pipe black, or white, or another colour? Or should I leave the pipe to go darker on its own accord? Our house is red brick.
Any advice gratefully received,
thanks
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
i have seen the steel cover that is on telegraph poles used to cover a gas pipe that kept getting vandalised . but paint or leave and it will naturaly darken and blend to brick colour

Personally I like the colour of copper and I don't understand the fascination people have in covering or painting it . .. .

You might not want to if you knew how much it cost!!!

hi reno Beast thing to do there is leave copper pipe alone it is clipped to wall so its ok just get some down pipe for rain water this is either round or square pipe cut back out of down pipe by this i mean a slot this goes over pipe and just bracket down pipe to wall it comes in all colours white black or brown try B&Q Anyways not good practice to not cover pipe i am shure gassafe would say something about would not be allowed in ireland but this i have seen not covered in ireland also good luck DAVE01

I've wrapped denzo tape around it before to stop people nicking it....... Nobody wants that on thier mitts!

Try Denso tape I guarantee no one will try to steal it.

Beat me to it ^

you could always pee on it!
even better pigs pee..
it will go the colour of brick within a couple of weeks. kid you not.

Yellow ocre for gas, and it's a lovely colour (not)

you could always pee on it!
even better pigs pee..
it will go the colour of brick within a couple of weeks. kid you not.

Thats an old trick for starting the patina off on copper roofs. A trip around the site with a bucket then wash it over the roof. Green roof in under 2 years.

But what would plumbers know about copper roofs these days :wink:

Plastic clips on the outside of buildings is a big pet hate of mine! Always looks cheap and nasty.

I use munsens and schoolboards on domestic ! It looks more professional i think ! If there going in a utility room etc on show it just gives a better look ! Better standard

Unless you are on top paying jobs your customers don't know the difference between plastic and brass so save yourself some cash @2p a clip

hi reno Beast thing to do there is leave copper pipe alone it is clipped to wall so its ok just get some down pipe for rain water this is either round or square pipe cut back out of down pipe by this i mean a slot this goes over pipe and just bracket down pipe to wall it comes in all colours white black or brown try B&Q Anyways not good practice to not cover pipe i am shure gassafe would say something about would not be allowed in ireland but this i have seen not covered in ireland also good luck DAVE01

If I hide the pipe in the square pipe, presumably I would need to remove the existing clips to the wall first? Then afterwards the only clips attaching it to wall would be over the square plastic pipe which seems a bit less secure? Or am I misunderstanding?

If I hide the pipe in the square pipe, presumably I would need to remove the existing clips to the wall first? Then afterwards the only clips attaching it to wall would be over the square plastic pipe which seems a bit less secure? Or am I misunderstanding?
leave the clips on copper pipe, cut the back out of square pipe and clip it over copper as dave01 says :)

Thats an old trick for starting the patina off on copper roofs. A trip around the site with a bucket then wash it over the roof. Green roof in under 2 years.

But what would plumbers know about copper roofs these days :wink:

We'd probably advise the custard to get a new roof slate or tile and then weigh the copper inn!!! Then book the obligatory holiday in the Carribean!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
M
A sparky with a proving unit, now that's rare...
Replies
Views
it is also very low pressure so there is...
Replies
Views
Ah the good old ' should be a doddle but ends...
Replies
Views
IDCHAPPY
I
Back