Copper to plastic | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Copper to plastic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the new builds I'm on the now they want hep for the first fix and then copper tails everywhere it'll be seen. As long as it's clipped well it doesn't look too bad. Not a fan of the coils though, never goes straight. Would only use the straight lengths.

Uponor do the multi layer (mlcp) and q and e(pex) pipe. I use multi layer for ufh and q and e for the rest . Takes some getting used to but a good compromise between copper and plastic. I try not to ever use pushfit.

Cheers guys . Mixed views there. We know copper can withstand the test of time but plastic hasnt been round long enough to know this. I realise plastics better for hard water aswell. Ive always thought of as diyers pipe and anytime i have used it its impossible to get nice neat and straight . I like the look of a well piped sytem in cooper but in plastic , that dissapears.

I agree copper is better and more robust, some say plastic is quicker as you can throw it in, bit it should be getting clipped more than it usually does so looks rough, I can fit 3m lengths of copper with end feed fittings fairly quickly and neatly soldered but if I was running a 20m run I suppose I would be quicker using one coil of plastic but there can't be much in it, in fact by the time I drill clips every 300mm instead of every 1500mm I would be quicker with copper over a 20m run I would fit a lot less clips and 6 end feed couplings, from a security point of view it's fine, we did a new build contract in a very dodgy area and had to use plastic as the first fix copper was getting ripped out every night,
But your point of it not being around long isn't quite right, I now stay in a house that was originally my wife's Gran's house, and last year I ripped out the bathroom suite and the old original shower supply, done by me in the early 80's, in brown acorn pipe, was still as sound as a pound

Last edited by a moderator:
plastic is great till you get rats and mice, then its only good for the plumber doing the repairs. One family of mice can make a house uninhabitable overnight!! ceilings down everywhere and the holes are so small in the pipe!

For your scenario steel may be worth a look. Geberit and others do a press fit type. The tooling costs a fortune but they would lend it to you I think if you want to try it. It's neat. No flames. No second hand value. No sagging or clipping mess. Looks pro. I still don't like plastic and only use it where it's not visible or it has been requested. Copper rules for sure but there are other options by the looks.

For your scenario steel may be worth a look. Geberit and others do a press fit type. The tooling costs a fortune but they would lend it to you I think if you want to try it. It's neat. No flames. No second hand value. No sagging or clipping mess. Looks pro. I still don't like plastic and only use it where it's not visible or it has been requested. Copper rules for sure but there are other options by the looks.

We used Pegler's Xpress stuff on a few jobs I've been on. It's good for the big stuff but I didn't really like it when it came to the smaller pipe. Too much hassle.
They gave us a couple of their crimping tools for free as well, not sure how much it costs but it isn't cheap anyway

plastic is great till you get rats and mice, then its only good for the plumber doing the repairs. One family of mice can make a house uninhabitable overnight!! ceilings down everywhere and the holes are so small in the pipe!

Lame, a lot of people don't see this side of it, until the water comes down, lots of it at B&Q, 10% off Wednesday for old gits

I agree copper is better and more robust, some say plastic is quicker as you can throw it in, bit it should be getting clipped more than it usually does so looks rough, I can fit 3m lengths of copper with end feed fittings fairly quickly and neatly soldered but if I was running a 20m run I suppose I would be quicker using one coil of plastic but there can't be much in it, in fact by the time I drill clips every 300mm instead of every 1500mm I would be quicker with copper over a 20m run I would fit a lot less clips and 6 end feed couplings, from a security point of view it's fine, we did a new build contract in a very dodgy area and had to use plastic as the first fix copper was getting ripped out every night,
But your point of it not being around long isn't quite right, I now stay in a house that was originally my wife's Gran's house, and last year I ripped out the bathroom suite and the old original shower supply, done by me in the early 80's, in brown acorn pipe, was still as sound as a pound

I found it quicker to fit copper in straight lengths within roof coombes on new builds than to unroll placcy and fix it every twojoists almost poking out yer eye every minute.Then when its all done and dusted have to remove temp clips and insulate .Today I was a **** and used to feed a shower within stud partition.It does have its positives the only peeps that know is yous

Last edited:
This is a major question - copper v plastic

1. When hep 2 came ready I plumbed out all my 3rd storey loft using
hep -- 10 years ago ITS all sound still i know
2. Plastic pipe is impossible to make look good - straight and vertical no way
3. However under floor we use it its good and fast
4. Never ever use on exposed pipe work or within x mtres of
the boiler
5. It is also not sound waterwise - it is actually porous
and will take in air through the plastic skin the only
reason it does not leak is the surface tension in the water
the plumbing or heating system that stops it leaking

6. But its quick and we use it

7. And as the no 'hot works' legislation impending
there will be no choice

centralheatking

Last edited by a moderator:
5. It is also not sound waterwise - it is actually porous
and will take in air through the plastic skin the only
reason it does not leak is the surface tension in the water
the plumbing or heating system that stops it leaking

Some of the cheap stuff doesn;t let out water, it does let in air though and that will be a killer for central heating circuits. However the barrier pipe isn't porous. - That's why it has the barrier :)

p.s. We almost exclusively use the Pegler Yorkshire Xpress Press-fit fittings

Last edited:
All you are doing by promoting and using push-fit is bring the trade demise near and nearer, the DIY-ers love it because they can't do it the proper way, I know this will raise a few eyebrows but push-fit is here to stay and plumbing as a trade is on its way out, anyone can do it now, the trade was once a respected trade, I am not too certain about it now. Most people could read a book and fit their own heating system, they just need to stop short of the boiler and megaflow.

I don't know how much longer you have got, but things don't look good and if was in the trade now I would be looking for a job in IT, or mobile phone sales, I wouldn't want my lad to go into plumbing, would you???

Carpet fitting !!!!

BTW I have not seen any B&Q warehouses closing down, they have never had it so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
When you're first fixing you often don't know...
Replies
Views
C
I’m not posting here to agree to do/looking...
Replies
Views
K
There is a common practice amount plumbers and...
Replies
Views
Yes sounds ok just get the gas guy round to...
Replies
Views
Back