Correctly sizing a combination boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Correctly sizing a combination boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nysk2008

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb that some of you use when sizing up for the install of a combi boiler. I fully appreciate U values, Flow rates, water pressure etc etc but is there anything that I can/need to do to get an overall feel for what the customers should be buying when they put you on the spot?

i.e Each rad 3kw + 10 (thats only a make-up example by the way)

Cheers

mysk2008,
Having been called out to soooooooooooooooooo many 24kW combi's over the winter period year after year, I'd say stay away! only fit one if the cold water flow rate is pants! Otherwise I ballance cold water supply & custards desires!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mate,

But this combi isn't for me. So many people are sold on the idea of a combi and refuse to listen to other options so if I have to give the customer what they want I just wanted to know how to size a combi there and then based on the bare minimum facts.

Cheers for your reply mate

Well 24kW will heat the vast majority of houses. I think it's about 80,000btu's old money. So a 28/30kW, 100,000btu's boiler will heat a 4/5 bed house no probs! I honestly question the custard on how many taps they use coz I'm prety much certain a 28kw will more than be enough to heat the house, and if the house needed more than 28kW then it's more than likely gonna need something other than a combi.... IMHO

Vast majority of complaints I've had to deal with when changing from stored hot water to a combi is water temp related!

Last edited by a moderator:
you could take a rough estimate at 2.5kw for a double rad and 1.5kw for a single rad, which is over the top but gives you an idea if your on the spot. There will not be many situations where you will increase the size of a combi to increase heating performance, not many houses will have a large amount of rooms without an increase in hot water demand.

when sizing a combi i never even consider the heating side, only the hot water requirement, the flow rate causes all the heartache, so get that right and the heating looks after itself as it is fully modulating, a 24kw will only supply about 10 ltr/min which is mince but will supply about 8 rads of various sizes, minimum these days is 28kw to get anywhere near decent flow which will then supply 12+ rads easy. your rule of thumb of 2kw per rad +? isnt required as you can only have hot water OR heating, not like a conventional boiler which requires heat and hot water at the same time, as a very quick rule of thumb, for the type of houses i work in i use 2.5 kw per rad, as the big ones balance out the wee ones, so it is simply how many rads x 2.5 + 3kw if hot water required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Great summary and well done for getting it...
Replies
Views
Finally (I hope) got to the bottom of this...
2 3
Replies
Views
Thanks will try this out, appreciate the help
Replies
Views
Thank you for the detailed and considered...
Replies
Views
Back