Cutting back cast iron soil | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cutting back cast iron soil in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Jokes aside I will try and do the one next week with a hacksaw and see how it compares. If I've got nowhere after 20 mins I'll just have to learn to accept my inferior genes and whack out the powered tool.

Jokes aside I will try and do the one next week with a hacksaw and see how it compares. If I've got nowhere after 20 mins I'll just have to learn to accept my inferior genes and whack out the powered tool.

A bit of advice.
Good new blade, Use the full length of it. The first and last bit take the time because it's a pipe and you are cutting through the wall thickness.

I bet it's easier than you think!!

So I said I'd try a hacksaw on the next one I did. And I just did one.

The recip was going through this one really slow compared to last one despite same saw, blades, technique, etc. Then the blades started to get caught and bend despite keeping dead still and straight. Bent 3 and thought sod this. Guess I was hitting some niggly bits? Either way I'd given it 40 mins and got almost nowhere.

Whacked out the hack saw and good god you guys weren't lying! I did the remaining 80% in about 20 mins (with plenty of brief pauses.)

I guess maybe some will work better with different methods of attack

Loads of carbon in cast, so drill or cut it DRY (unlike any other metal).

I've never cut C.I. soil, but plenty of drainpipes and gutters. I use a very thin metal-cutting disc in my 115mm grinder and take it easy because I like to be cautious with anything that revolves at 10,000 RPM. If the alternative is an hour with a recipricating saw, I know this is how I would do it!

Similar plumbing topics

Don’t worry about a slight roughness inside...
Replies
Views
"strap wrench" or "boa" might help
Replies
Views
    • Creative
Take the opportunity to replace the whole...
Replies
Views
D
Personally, I would coordinate with the other...
Replies
Views
Masood
M
L
Saint-gobain time saver will do something...
Replies
Views
Back