cylinder blockage??? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss cylinder blockage??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
just looking to pick all your brains again on a job i recently attended for the insurance company i work for. Job background: customer wanted to replace downstairs basin taps and did this him self to save money (which has not happened), he isolated water via turning off mains internal stopcock and running taps to drain CWSC. he then refilled cistern but now has no water from hot taps. on arriving i suspected air lock so tried clearing using aqua vac and then tried pumping mains supply through hot water pipes, i managed to get water out of every hot tap doing this but when i switched mains off, water worked for about 20 seconds then slowed to a trickle and stopped.
The customer said he did not touch any other valves (but he did only admit at replacing basin taps himself after me being there for a hour, after suggesting original plumber should be called back) and i did check gate vales were open. there was one gate valve that just spinned but customer said he had not touched this.
The CWSC in loft was clean and did not have any loose lagging on it, plus outlets on CWSC are small holed ones with small lip inside so don't think anything has gone down supply to hot water cylinder. I suspect there is a blockage on the hot pipe work somewhere and was suspecting could it be in the cylinder from scale or scale has got in hot water feed pipe?
The cylinder is 19 years old and i did shake it to see if i could hear scale but i couldn't, i am just wondering if anyone on here agrees with my assessment or has any other ideas what could be happening??

sorry for the essay but i just wanted to be as detailed as i could.

cheers everyone

big air lock or sheared gate valve, check what the gate valve feeds then go for blockage

i don't think it can be a big air lock as had mains water from every tap which would of pushed all air out of pipes. i did think that about the gate valve, i just wanted to see if everyone agreed with my suggestion that it must be a blockage somewhere in the hot water system (either said gate valve or scale in or from cylinder) and i haven't overlooked any other possibilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It’s calling out for an unvented as it’s a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Question
And it's fixed! Had someone move the EV from...
Replies
Views
Back