Cylinder Immersion Heater Install | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cylinder Immersion Heater Install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive taken the cylinder out and its currently in the garage awaiting my attention. I will certainly try running a screwdriver around the threads but, having had a quick look earlier, I noticed that the second thread in from the outside of the cylinder seems to be slightly flattened so maybe thats causing the problem ! If I can get the new element in square would that cut another edge or am I being too optimistic ?

That is indeed what is causing the problem. It can be fixed. The good thing on your side is that copper threads are quite soft (that is why you stripped it in the first place) so can be fixed. It just needs a wee bit time and care taken.
Forget the 2 1/2" nipple idea. The thread is 2 1/4" BSP. You will struggle severely to get an iron taper nipple that size (2 1/4"). This is an unusual thread size not used on many other things. A thread file is no use as they are for external threads.
There are a couple of ways you can fix this. Basically you have to fix the bad (flattened) bit on the thread so the element will pass it and continue in the other threads. Once it passes the bad bit it will be fine.
Start by scraping the cylinder threads completely clean then follow the threads with a small flat bladed screwdriver or the edge of a small triangular file. If you have a dremmel you could use that. You need to take out the flattened bit.
Keep trying the immersion by hand. If you cant get it in by hand past the couple of turns where it jambed remove it and scrape the threads again. If you take your time and spend 20 minutes or so at it. You should be able to fix it.
If you really can't then it is plan B and how much you value your time against talking the customer into a new £300 odd cylinder!
Buy one of these.
Essex 2.25" E2/SX Immersion Heater Boss Flange CURVED surface cylinder tank e2/r | eBay (Btw the photo shows the washers on the wrong way round)
To fit this you need to cut off the old immersion boss and fit the flange in its place.
They are easy to fit. The hole doesn't need to be perfectly round. You can drill it out and file it if need be.

Plan C is fly me down to do it for you but you would be cheaper with a new cylinder :lol:

Just go for it.

If the old one goes in and out OK still, the threads are probably tight on the new one. Try a different make of element

Unfortunately the old one will not now go in any further than the old one. Considering the problem I had getting the new one started in the first place,
I'm wondering if it that was the cause of the problem in the first place !

dont you have a thread gauge?. get them from machine mart, toolstation etc. then file out thread.

I don't have thread gauge but I do have a gap gauge (spark plugs etc) so I guess that'll do the same job just fine.

Thanks for the posts.

Thank you Tamz, you've certainly given me hope.

I'll try Plan A first and if that doesn't work then plan B seems a good option. At the moment I'm hopeful that the "sorry you'll need a new cylinder" conversation will not have to happen.

Did I understand correctly that I could drill the old immersionn boss out ? If so, how about drilling a slightly larger hole and then cutting the boss out "very carefully" with a hacksaw
while obviously taking extra care not not distort the cylinder ?

Plan C, a nice thought but yes, it would be a new cylinder first.

Thanks again.

If all else fails, and it is a new cylinder. Scrap the one you have £60 quid in scrap to you. Then buy a replacement in stainless steel not copper, as it will be cheaper and last just as long.

Screw fix sell one for about £160. Then it's cost you about £100. Which considering the time you are liable to spend putting this right, might be money well spent.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

T
Did I understand correctly that I could drill the old immersionn boss out ? If so, how about drilling a slightly larger hole and then cutting the boss out "very carefully" with a hacksaw
while obviously taking extra care not not distort the cylinder ?

If it comes to fitting a flange you will have to drill the old one out and file it into shape (it is easier done than it sounds). You won't be able to hacksaw it. We used to use a tool called a monodex cutter to fit these but in this instance even that wouldn't work so you are left with the drill and file method.
Because this is the type of guy i am, i went out to the yard (in my house coat in the baltic cold) and sourced (rumadged for) an old essex flange. These instructions are probably older than you because i have had them for years but here they are.
essex flange.jpg
The link above was the only one i could find on google but you would be able to order one from a merchant.
Take your time. It can be fixed with a bit patience and the flange is your fall back.
There are other ways to do this but they are too hard to explain. It is something you need to be shown to understand.
Good luck. Take your time and you will get there.

If all else fails, and it is a new cylinder. Scrap the one you have £60 quid in scrap to you. Then buy a replacement in stainless steel not copper, as it will be cheaper and last just as long.

Screw fix sell one for about £160. Then it's cost you about £100. Which considering the time you are liable to spend putting this right, might be money well spent.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Thanks for that Dannypipe.

Screwfix also do a direct 900 x 450 stainless steel cylinder for £140.- which would be the one I'd go for if required. However, there's nothing on the Screwfix website to say if the cylinder has one or two immersions (I assume it would have to be two for a direct cylinder) or where they are positioned !

If it comes to fitting a flange you will have to drill the old one out and file it into shape (it is easier done than it sounds). You won't be able to hacksaw it. We used to use a tool called a monodex cutter to fit these but in this instance even that wouldn't work so you are left with the drill and file method.
Because this is the type of guy i am, i went out to the yard (in my house coat in the baltic cold) and sourced (rumadged for) an old essex flange. These instructions are probably older than you because i have had them for years but here they are.
View attachment 5328
The link above was the only one i could find on google but you would be able to order one from a merchant.
Take your time. It can be fixed with a bit patience and the flange is your fall back.
There are other ways to do this but they are too hard to explain. It is something you need to be shown to understand.
Good luck. Take your time and you will get there.

Excellent stuff Tamz. Thank you

If it comes to it, I think £40 on a flange is still better than £140 on a cylinder as I certainly don't mind spending extra time trying to get it right.

As usual, great advice from Tamz.

Unless it's properly goosed, I'd think you've got a pretty good chance of reclaiming the thread. I've not done it on an immersion thread but I've rescued a lot of threads in steel, alloy, brass etc on vintage motorbikes and such. If you've got access to some scrap steel and a bench grinder (or even a dremmel at a pinch), make yourself a bent tool with a tip ground to as near the thread angle as you can (use the male immersion thread as a guide). Use this to slowly and carefully chase round the thread in the cylinder to clean it and reshape deformed sections. Work slowly and carefully with light pressure - the copper is soft but it'll have work hardened on the deformed bits. You'll probably find that part of the thread peak has collapsed into the root and is causing the binding problem you're having so your tool will need to be sharp.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual, great advice from Tamz.

Unless it's properly goosed, I'd think you've got a pretty good chance of reclaiming the thread. I've not done it on an immersion thread but I've rescued a lot of threads in steel, alloy, brass etc on vintage motorbikes and such. If you've got access to some scrap steel and a bench grinder (or even a dremmel at a pinch), make yourself a bent tool with a tip ground to as near the thread angle as you can (use the male immersion thread as a guide). Use this to slowly and carefully chase round the thread in the cylinder to clean it and reshape deformed sections. Work slowly and carefully with light pressure - the copper is soft but it'll have work hardened on the deformed bits. You'll probably find that part of the thread peak has collapsed into the root and is causing the binding problem you're having so your tool will need to be sharp.

Good luck.

Thanks for that Matt Werth.

When you say a tip, I guess this will like an inverted V with the V being the same dimensions as the groove of the thread !

I've made a couple of attempts today to reclaim the thread without success. Whats happening is that I can get the immersion into the thread about a turn and a half before it binds but the immersion is high on one side meaning that there are more threads exposed on one part of the male thread than the other. This obviously means that the immersion is not going into the thread square which I presume means that either the first or second thread is crossed. I can identify in a couple of places where a small thin line goes across the high point of a couple of threads and it is these that I have been concentration on reforming. However, is it possible to reclaim a cross thread as surely you need to add metal/brass not take it away.

Regretably, I dont think an immersion flange is going to be a viable solution as there are a number of small uneven indentations in the copper around the immersion boss in a couple of places and so I'm not convinced that the flange seal would have enough flexibilty to seal all the highs and lows.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
The tool is basically a diamond shaped point on something you can handle with some control - think a single male thread.

If the immersion isn't going in square then it's definitely crossed.

You can reclaim the thread - as long as you can create a clean path for the new thread, it doesn't matter if there are a couple of gaps in the threads on the cylinder. But you'll only get one proper chance at it - if you mess up and create a 'new' but still crossed thread then it's effectively beyond recovery and you'll have to investigate flanges etc. Start on a known good part of the thread and work out towards the damaged threads. The good thing with an immersion is that it's big and you can see what you're doing - I've managed it on weird American 3/8" fine cycle threads at the bottom of blind holes in alloy castings :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The tool is basically a diamond shaped point on something you can handle with some control - think a single male thread.

If the immersion isn't going in square then it's definitely crossed.

You can reclaim the thread - as long as you can create a clean path for the new thread, it doesn't matter if there are a couple of gaps in the threads on the cylinder. But you'll only get one proper chance at it - if you mess up and create a 'new' but still crossed thread then it's effectively beyond recovery and you'll have to investigate flanges etc. Start on a known good part of the thread and work out towards the damaged threads. The good thing with an immersion is that it's big and you can see what you're doing - I've managed it on weird American 3/8" fine cycle threads at the bottom of blind holes in alloy castings :)

Thanks again MattWerth

Here are a couple of pictures of the thread. The first picture is at the start of the first thread and the second is about a 3/4 further round.

Cylinder1.jpg Cylinder2.jpg

Do you thing these are retrievable or am I wasting my time ?

My father has a bench grinder so I can certainly fabricate the necessary tool if you thik it moght do the trick.

Thanks again.

I'd certainly give it a go - you can see in the second picture where the thread has crossed. There are no guarantees with this but it'll cost you next to nothing to try.

In the end it depends on whether you think it's worth your time - you might be better starting with a new cylinder - your call really.

tamz has already mentioned soldering in the new immerser, this is what i'd do, it will cost you nothing exept your time to do. remove the cylinder to make it easier. clean & flux both threads then tighten new immerser in as far as you can, remove stat & any other plastic bits from immerser before soldering.you have nothing to loose and everything to gain as the cylinder is no good to you as it is. good luck.

I'd certainly give it a go - you can see in the second picture where the thread has crossed. There are no guarantees with this but it'll cost you next to nothing to try.

In the end it depends on whether you think it's worth your time - you might be better starting with a new cylinder - your call really.

Ive got nothing to lose so I'll definitely give it a try.

tamz has already mentioned soldering in the new immerser, this is what i'd do, it will cost you nothing exept your time to do. remove the cylinder to make it easier. clean & flux both threads then tighten new immerser in as far as you can, remove stat & any other plastic bits from immerser before soldering.you have nothing to loose and everything to gain as the cylinder is no good to you as it is. good luck.

Thanks for the post Johnnyplumb.

I must have missed that bit completely as I can't find any mention of soldering in the new immersion from tamz. However, if all else fails, I'll definitely give it a try. Its certainly going to take a lot of heat to get both threads hot enough for the solder to flow !

Thanks again.

I replaced a very old 2-stud immersion heater today! Took me 3-hours however it did go reasonably ok considering how much i hate doing them!!!!!!

The first crossed thread seems to be the very first one (second picture top thread). I'm just wondering how this can be recovered with the pointed tool you have descibed as, because there is no thread above it to cut in to, how will the tool removed the crossed thread on that particular thread ?

I replaced a very old 2-stud immersion heater today! Took me 3-hours however it did go reasonably ok considering how much i hate doing them!!!!!!

Well done, if only all jobs went that smoothly !

The first crossed thread seems to be the very first one (second picture top thread). I'm just wondering how this can be recovered with the pointed tool you have descibed as, because there is no thread above it to cut in to, how will the tool removed the crossed thread on that particular thread ?

Start the tool in a good thread below the first damaged one and cut 'outwards' towards the damaged section.

Just to update, I'm afraid that all attempts to reclaim the thread using the excellent advice given on this forum proved futile and I ended up
buying a stainless steel "direct" cylinder form Screwfix which, together with a 27" immersion, worked out at £138 in total which is a pretty good
deal IMO.

Considering the "sacrificial anode" in the original cylinder had completely rotted away and the inside of the cylinder had started to deteriorate
accordingly it was probably just was well.

Thanks again for all the excellent advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There's no leaks anywhere above it. The water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It looks like it has been leaking from within...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just a thought but did you check the fuse box...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Except your response got me thinking. Going...
Replies
Views
C
I’m not posting here to agree to do/looking...
Replies
Views
Back