DIY Gas Boiler Installation I used to be CORGI registered | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss DIY Gas Boiler Installation I used to be CORGI registered in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

D

drm0347

Up until approx 20 years ago I was CORGI registered for a number of year working mainly on central heating and spending many hours fault finding.

I would like to install my own boiler and necessary rads etc, I understand I must have the gas work installed and tested by a Gas Safe Fitter as I am no longer qualified, I can't see any problems with mounting the boiler myself and coupling it up to the wet system but can't seem to get the legalties regarding mounting the boiler. Feed back I have had says I am not allowed to mount the boiler, Is this just a ploy for an installer to make more money.
So my Qs are
(1) Can I mount the boiler and couple up to heating system providing I have the Gas work installed and commissioned by a Gas Safe Installer.

Can anyone help?

Good luck with that one my friend.
There has been much debate on this topic.
My take on it is No, you can't touch the boiler or gas installation unless you are doing it under the direct supervision of a GSR.
it's not so installers get more money (lol), it's because it's the law of the land.

I understood it to be, you can do it as long as it's not for gain (Getting paid) so putting in your own boiler would be ok ! getting it registerd would be the problem, It's still a gray area (CORGI / Gas Safe favourite Saying) meaning they wont give a definite answer, Have you still got any mates who are Gas Safe ?

i thought i had posted this once such is senility
why not do as much as you can and just get someone registered to fit boiler and commision ? cut hole for flue, flush system ,fit magna clean , fit scale reducer and leave them to hang and comission you could even do the making good provided you dont get in the way and its done when his ready to sign boiler of
id have no problem doing this as it normal on sites to hang boiler to pipework thats fitted by persons unknown we just test it all

Last edited:
Can some one give me the reason to why I couldn't replace the pressure relief valve in my combi boiler? I am not yet gas safe but I am in my second year doing a svq 3 in plumbing. The reason why I ask is my boss say I can and I'm not breaking any law because I'm not touching any gas pipe. But people on this forum are saying its only gas safe engineers that can only go near any gas boiler.

I'm a bit confused can someone let us know where I can get a copy of the law that states this. Thank you

I seem to remember it states a competent person ?
As long as not being carried out as a business ?
The joke is in the caravan industry has a competent person scheme ,then they can test the gas instalation , that is all they have to prove on a day or so course then off they go !
The law is a joke really as you can be killed just as easily in your caravan ?

And how do we know if a person is competent?
Well that is where the law takes over I guess but I cannot see that a judge would decide that a person who was once involved in the industry but now retired is suddenly incopetent and unable to carry out his own work as I am sure if he could read MI`s he is more than competent ?

Well that is where the law takes over I guess but I cannot see that a judge would decide that a person who was once involved in the industry but now retired is suddenly incopetent and unable to carry out his own work as I am sure if he could read MI`s he is more than competent ?
Wrong there, the judge will ask for proof of competence. If no current quals then no competence. Just cos you can read mi's means nowt

Why GSR engineers get assessed every 5 years?

Well that is probably open for debate too ? How many other trades or professions have to be assessed every 5 years ? Of course commercial reasons would never come into it ? Heaven Forbid

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating...
Replies
Views
What about a metal blanking plate?
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There's worse work than somewhere or other...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes it's puzzling why only one company...
Replies
Views
Back