DIY Gas Boiler Installation I used to be CORGI registered | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss DIY Gas Boiler Installation I used to be CORGI registered in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

D

drm0347

Up until approx 20 years ago I was CORGI registered for a number of year working mainly on central heating and spending many hours fault finding.

I would like to install my own boiler and necessary rads etc, I understand I must have the gas work installed and tested by a Gas Safe Fitter as I am no longer qualified, I can't see any problems with mounting the boiler myself and coupling it up to the wet system but can't seem to get the legalties regarding mounting the boiler. Feed back I have had says I am not allowed to mount the boiler, Is this just a ploy for an installer to make more money.
So my Qs are
(1) Can I mount the boiler and couple up to heating system providing I have the Gas work installed and commissioned by a Gas Safe Installer.

Can anyone help?

[h=2]DIY Gas Boiler Installation!?[/h] rip3.jpg

It was a no contest from thwhrt.

My boss is a very competent plumber. He oftec, gas safe, lpg, svq3 and heatas credit so he does know what he is talking about and he said that I can replace my own pressure relief valve in my gas boiler as I'm not touching any gas work so it's OK.
But you guys say it's not OK I just want to know where I stand.
Thanks

Well that is where the law takes over I guess but I cannot see that a judge would decide that a person who was once involved in the industry but now retired is suddenly incopetent and unable to carry out his own work as I am sure if he could read MI`s he is more than competent ?
That person should not be deemed incompetent, but without relevant ( up to date) qualifications. The judge would deem "that" person as NOT competent to work on gas.
Two local plumbers who shal remain nameless. Stopped doing gas / boiler work, to fit more bathrooms. They had been registered for quite a few years, so as you would say, they were competent. They then didn't register for 3 years. But then fitted a few boilers locally.
they were cought out by falling out with a customer, who checked thier gas safe. They missed the screws on a Vaillant combi flue and hadn't bricked up the outside balanced flue hole( owner would not let him back in! )
anyway, they got a £ 2500 fine and a 6 months suspended prison sentence.

so just because you have experience in the past, does not, in the eyes of the law make you competent!

not a dig, just fact.

Last edited:
if a person dose not have a in date acs they are NOT competent its not always liked but that's how it is my granddad taught me an now he hasn't been gas qualified for 12 years and I actually installed a boiler in his house 6 week ago and telling him he isn't qualified to do it broke my heart he is 80 but still thinks he is one of the lads if the customers not home or its a small site I occasionally bring him to work he loves it and I allways learn something new but the fact is he isn't brought up to standard very 5 years and things change

That person should not be deemed incompetent, but without relevant ( up to date) qualifications. The judge would deem "that" person as NOT competent to work on gas.
Two local plumbers who shal remain nameless. Stopped doing gas / boiler work, to fit more bathrooms. They had been registered for quite a few years, so as you would say, they were competent. They then didn't register for 3 years. But then fitted a few boilers locally.
they were cought out by falling out with a customer, who checked thier gas safe. They missed the screws on a Vaillant combi flue and hadn't bricked up the outside balanced flue hole( owner would not let him back in! )
anyway, they got a £ 2500 fine and a 6 months suspended prison sentence.

so just because you have experience in the past, does not, in the eyes of the law make you competent!

not a dig, just fact.
I understand where your coming from but it's only the pressure relief valve that I would be replacing. I wouldn't be touching anything else like the flue or the gas line.
so why would my boss say it's alright even thought I said to him Its a gas boiler and he replied your not touching any gas pipe so it's not a problem.
is there any black or white saying I can't touch any parts inside a boiler without being gas safe?

so it's only gas safe engineers that can test if the pressure relief valve works? As the case needs to be opened. And to test the expansion vessel and to fill the system up you are saying you need to be gas safe by the law states?!

It must be open for debate or it would state that no person other than GSR may work on gas and that is not the case ?
Even Gas safe will not commit to it and others have said it is a grey area .
I for one would like to see the law state exacctly who can and who cannot likewise in the caravan industry etc . As it stands now it would be in the hands of a judge to decide as we all know you cannot do it as a business but the competent person ?
I can drive an excavator but am not at this moment a ticket holder so does that mean I am no longer competent ? Just to add last excavator assessment I had lasted less than 5 minutes he could see within minutes as the throttle went to full and I started digging that I was no learner .
I am to be honest of the opinion most if not all of these bits of paper from all the so called trade bodies are nothing to do with safety, but good commercial businesses that put profit before anything else and if most where honest on here we all pick and choose the bits of the law or regs we abide by to suit ourselves ?

I understand where your coming from but it's only the pressure relief valve that I would be replacing. I wouldn't be touching anything else like the flue or the gas line.
so why would my boss say it's alright even thought I said to him Its a gas boiler and he replied your not touching any gas pipe so it's not a problem.
is there any black or white saying I can't touch any parts inside a boiler without being gas safe?

so it's only gas safe engineers that can test if the pressure relief valve works? As the case needs to be opened. And to test the expansion vessel and to fill the system up you are saying you need to be gas safe by the law states?!

The first guy only wanted to hang the boiler on the wall, do the wet stuff then get a gsr to do the gas side was the way I read it.

If you remove the case of a boiler you are performing "work" on the appliance. As part of this "work", you are required to perform the checks to satisfy reg 26(9), which WILL require disturbing gas joints/test points. If you are happy to take your bosses word then go for it, you're being given advice on here to help you protect yourself, I'm not sure that anyone's bothered if you don't listen and change it regardless.

Best advice, steer clear of "grey areas" you're still learning

Is it not the hse that would be the ones prosecuting? Is it not in their eyes that to be deemed competent on gas work you must hold the relevant ACS certificate for what you are working on and also be gas safe registered.

To the guy wanting to change his prv. Why not ask your boss to supervise while you change it?

To the guy wanting to change his PRV, why delay? Go ahead and change it. Besides, your boss (who is over qualified) says you are not breaking any laws. So what's the problem? You don't trust your boss???
Personally, I think your mind is made up, so no need to keep asking opinions on here. Go ahead and change your PRV. Your boss (who is training you) says it's ok.

To the guy wanting to change his PRV, why delay? Go ahead and change it. Besides, your boss (who is over qualified) says you are not breaking any laws. So what's the problem? You don't trust your boss???
Personally, I think your mind is made up, so no need to keep asking opinions on here. Go ahead and change your PRV. Your boss (who is training you) says it's ok.

Agreed. Crack on mate.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I recently fitted a new central heating...
Replies
Views
What about a metal blanking plate?
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There's worse work than somewhere or other...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes it's puzzling why only one company...
Replies
Views
Back