DIY heat engines for recovering waste heat. | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss DIY heat engines for recovering waste heat. in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

D

Dolph1983

Hi, I'm running a project at the moment to build DIY heat engines and was hoping someone would have some ideas on sources of waste heat and applications for my machine?

Basically, a heat transfer fluid is supplied to the engine at about 80 degrees C, this fluid is heated by waste heat eg, solar heat or flue/exhaust gases. The engine works in a similar way to a steam engine (rankine cycle), however the water is replaced with refrigerant, so instead of generating steam it generates vapour at <100 degrees C.

The power cycle is called the 'Organic Rankine Cycle' and has been used for donkeys years in industry to recover and convert waste heat to electricity. I am trying to build a micro scale 1kWe unit for domestic use with biomass boilers and solar panels, but there are many other uses.

As a test bed i built a unit which can be piped into a gas boiler heating circuit to run it when the grid power goes down. So when power goes down the engine's battery supplies electricity to the gas boiler via a power inverter to get the boiler heated up. Then the boiler supplies some of its heat to the engine which generates enough electricity to sustain the boiler, recharge its battery and give a net output.

It's fairly easy to build and all the parts are available off the shelf, just needs some basic plumbing tools. I built it into an old washing machine housing!

Some photo's below show the test unit, it gives a shaft power of about 350 watts and a net electrical output of 190 watts. This one is just a baby, when it's fully grown it'll be giving a net output of 1kWe. The fully grown version will be housed in an old fridge freezer.

DSC01566.jpgDSC01554.jpg

Stu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah pal, it would probably need a yearly maintenance interval, charge up then if needed, if it was seeing heavy use ie 24 hr's a day it may need more servicing. Which is fine when you can do it all yourself ;) and the parts are cheap as chips.

I think there is a great future for thermal electrical power generation.

Here in Spain a vacuum tube can boil its contents in under 3 hours, and hot water is quite easy to store, it would be great to be able to convert the heat energy to electrical energy.

I am pleased to see the baxi eco gen it is a brave move by them I am sure other company's will soon follow in their foot steps.

There is a company in the U.S. which is quite interesting they are developing a heat and electric system for domestic use combining solar and a sterling generator

it is worth a look -- cool energy inc.

Ps. good luck with your project dolph1983

Tony Spain

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Were in a similar-ish situation in that our...
Replies
Views
Thank you for your help. You are right, very...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thermal will give you more heat per sq m of...
Replies
Views
great, thanks for sharing, really difficult to...
Replies
Views
Back