DIY open fire! help | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss DIY open fire! help in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

B

b.lynch plum

Alright all, me father in law has just took out his electric fire and unblock his chimney himself, he's not checked for soundness or put a liner in or even swept! Just thrown some logs in and set alight! Now he's stocked up on logs and is planning to leave it as it is! He won't listen to me so can you all list the dangers hear and I'll show him wot you all think of this stupidity
O and he's left the disconected cable there going through the wall lol
cheers all

I don't believe anyone could be that stupid so would like to see a few pictures please.

I'm not welcome round at the min cuz iv tried to tell him but I will try and get some pics
Hands down me misses is fallen out with me as I don't want my kid staying there they all think I'm trying to have a dig at him cuz we don't get on!

I want folks on hear to list the problems with this and the dangers so that I can show them its not just me that thinks its wrong lol, the lack of sweping sound testing or anythink! All that he's looked at is if he can see some smoke coming through pot outside . I haven't seen any! All I'm asking them to do is to listen to the dangers and understand and get it checked out lol. So I aim is to use your guys thought to proof it! Farmers for you!!!

from his point of view it used to be an open fire and should be ok. if its drawing ok, and theres no fumes elsewhere in the property then chances are all ok. why would it need a liner if it was ok before it was closed down? Having said that it would be good to get a sweep to check it over once winters over ready for next year. some may not agree but the best thing you can do is buy him a co sensor fire the room the fires in to meet current regs re solid fuel fires

Your father-in-law will be from a generation that could sweep a chimney without a HEATAS certificate, fought Hitler to be free from dictators and views all new regulations European or domestic as a betrayal of the principals for which he went to war.(He will think this way even if he was born 20 years after the war was over.)" two world wars and one world cup" etc. No good talking if he's not listening. Instead of confrontation, compliment him on his work, note that if the room is not full of smoke the chimney would appear to have an adequate draw and persuade him to allow a smoke test, not forgetting to check stack in loft as well as rooms. With a wood fire if the smoke goes into the neighbours property they will likely smell it and complain.(Such action could be encouraged.) I can remember people who would clean their chimney by lighting newspaper and sending it up the chimney on the principal that a little chimney fire now and again would do no harm. We survived, but houses had more drafts in those days.

Back