DIY'ER just called... | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss DIY'ER just called... in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
he did all his own plumbing when building his house, now he is trying to sell his house and building control came round to check soil pipe is tight. It is not, has a leak. He asked if I could go and find the leak. are there any common places for these to leak? Like in the pump hose. i had this before and i did not check it for hrs. Went mad i did

Oh yes, I would be worried it would leak and force bottom bung into sewer. Then I will have another problem

This would only happen if you haven't tighten the bung in correctly as you would need to bung where soil enters the manhole but always tie a piece of wood to the bung so you dont lose it down the drain,and also the vent to test the soil pipe, tie another bit of wood so it doesnt disapear down the stack, then do the either the u garage hose gag with smoke ( only if you smoke), flushing the wc and taps left on to fill the s&v pipe checkin for leaks...or bang a smoke bomb in the drain and see where it comes out, after bunging the s&v ...

Mutley, use whatever method to find the leak, that Building Control did!

It depends how the pipe is .... if there's a vent , where is it? Or is there an air admittance valve, or what?

If you use a proper bung down inthe inspection chamber/manhole, you could put a smoke pellet upstream of it, but smoke would go out of a vent rather than any leak where water seeps out.
If you flush a loo the pipe will fill up and not show much. You'll have 6 or 9 litres above the bung, that's all.
Soil pipe isn't designed to take several metres head of water so I wouldn't really want to fill the whole thing. Frop memory the air pressure test is only a few millibars.

If you try to pressure test it, you'll have to bung the vent. I doubt smoke would get out of a weep even if you did bung the vent.
So - back to whatever the BC man did!

Last edited by a moderator:
Done this alot on testing AGD, best method is Smoke Bomb from inspection chamber. Wherever its leaking the smoke will fill up a area its escaping from

- No obvious signs of water stains?
- Check pan connectors
- Check basin, bath, shower traps (make sure they have their seal as well, pour some water in first)

Might be something really really simple, hope it is! Lol hate cutting in existing soils and putting slip joints or replacing 4" fittings for obv reasons that you get your hands covered with...

he did all his own plumbing when building his house, now he is trying to sell his house and building control came round to check soil pipe is tight. It is not, has a leak. He asked if I could go and find the leak. are there any common places for these to leak? Like in the pump hose. i had this before and i did not check it for hrs. Went mad i did
surprised they checked the soil

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You were lucky they bothered to show up. At...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ok thank you Chuck, yes it does a bit 😆 That's...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
Back