DIYer worried about his DIY plumbing | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss DIYer worried about his DIY plumbing in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

D

diytom

Hi all, sorry to trouble you. Im a diyer, not a plumber. Just dabble a bit with a spanner.

My mother needed a ink removed (basin I think its called here) from one of her bedrooms, its an old property.

Anyway, I removed the basin, took up some flooring and cut the pipe as close to the "t" as I could. I used a compression stop end and thought I would be clever to use plumbers mate to help it seal. I put the plumbers mate around the thread. I have now read that I should have put the putty around the olive or end of the pipe?

I tightened the caps with wrench and pump pliers. Turned the water back on and as far as I could tell there wasn't any leaks so put the flooring back down.

Im worried though that the joint will leak as I put the plumbers mate in the wrong place? If it was to fail would it just slowly weep or would it leak quite a lot? Im going back to Mums on tuesday to check , will this be to late though?

Im bricking it in case the ceiling collapses.

Regards

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Im going back tomorrow to check. If it is weeping/ leaking then how much water should I expect to see tomorrow? I done the job yesterday.
If it's only weeping, there will be very little water and perhaps a damp patch, nothing else. If it's dripping due to the joints not being properly compressed, then there will definitely be signs of water.

The more you flap about this, then the worse it will become in your mind anyway. If you get a small leak/leaks just tighten them up, nothing to panic about!

Hello Tom,
if it was leaking enough to bring the ceiling down your mum would have phoned you by now!

by all means check the fitting but if its dry stop worrying.
don't be tempted to give it another tighten "just to be sure" because as said earlier by quigley you can over tighten and then you might get a leak

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Looks like your attempting to put a plain 3/4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You either need to remove the "Tap Connector...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back