Diyers on plastic!! | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Diyers on plastic!! in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

K

Kyle87

Customer whose duo tec I fitted earlier this yeas has had me back to sort his bathroom out.

Could tell from tiling alone previous owner had DIY'd this bathroom badly.

Found 22mm speedfit to bath taps, 6 joints in total with no inserts and badly cut with a hack saw.

Then found to hep pipes, the older grey stuff with speed fit stop ends on. Once again badly cut with a hacksaw and no inserts.

So I drove across town for hep inserts and stop ends.

Went to Grahams first where the girl at the counter didn't know the it was the correct insert needed and less of importance about the brand of fitting.
Shes a shop worker so she doesn't have to know but shouldn't be giving out bad advise

Either way I won't mix fittings regardless!

So grahams didn't have the inserts and a manager type guy came over and said use a speedfit insert it will work.

My reply was "if I do and the fitting pops off will you stand in court and say it was not my fault I didn't comply to hep mi's"

Absolute morons!!

I don't like to take chances with plumbing. Do it right or don't do it!!

I mixed inserts and fittings when i had to, never any probs with it. Wouldnt do it on high pressure stuff though

I'd just rather have my bottom covered at all times.

I hate plastic. I don't trust it. I'd rather copper all day long. So if I am touching plastic, it's got to be done right!!

u6umusem.jpg

Look at this, copper cut with a hacksaw and shoved into jg. How the o ring wasn't shredded I don't know.

Two meters of unclipped plastic with out inserts too. Bloody lucky customer

I don't mind mixing different makes of fittings and pipe as the O/D is the same, as long as the insert is the same make as the pipe, there shouldn't be a problem, although I do prefer to use the same stuff throughout a job. (That's if I can't persuade the customer to use copper for a better job!!)

I always use Speedfit cap ends regardless of the make of pipe and never had a problem.

So would you worry about (say) Yorkshire tube with Nibco fittings. (showing my age, but you know what I mean).

Updated to 21st century. Mueller tube with Allpex fittings?

If something goes wrong, whose warranty to you claim on?

No ones. If tube fails it's your fault, if fittings fail it's your fault. Ever tried a claim against them? Had a few altech 28mm isr split, mfr issue...... Where's money? Graham's offered few ££££ in credit. Accounts virtually dorment

When it comes to copper I'm more confident my fittings won't blow off. At worst ill her a weep or a "leak" in most cases

With plastic.....it's more than likely gonna blow!! Maybe I'm wrong.

To be fair I havnt been round long enough to know that much. But I know some things are best not left to chance.

The more I can reduce the risk of a future problem, the better.

Maybe I'll start using plastic in the future, who knows. But as a fresh newbie to the plumbing world I'd rather work from the bottom up and not fall into the trap of being a plastic fantastic plumber and eradicate the need for copper.

If I lose money on jobs because it takes me longer, so be it. But for now I'll keep at it with my sf2 and tatty heat matts. And for that reason I can sleep at night knowing I'm doing my best.

When it comes to copper I'm more confident my fittings won't blow off. At worst ill her a weep or a "leak" in most cases

With plastic.....it's more than likely gonna blow!! Maybe I'm wrong.

To be fair I havnt been round long enough to know that much. But I know some things are best not left to chance.

The more I can reduce the risk of a future problem, the better.

Maybe I'll start using plastic in the future, who knows. But as a fresh newbie to the plumbing world I'd rather work from the bottom up and not fall into the trap of being a plastic fantastic plumber and eradicate the need for copper.

If I lose money on jobs because it takes me longer, so be it. But for now I'll keep at it with my sf2 and tatty heat matts. And for that reason I can sleep at night knowing I'm doing my best.

Streetfighter 2? ;)

Similar plumbing topics

I wouldn't accept responsibility of something...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Wont be polyorc it will be black alkathene
Replies
Views
Back