Do I need a new boiler? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Do I need a new boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should have been there last night - bloody freezin and slippin all over the place - me and the misses holding onto each other just not to fall over. they reckon there where 200k people through there today flippin mad. glad all my shoppings done and aint gotta go back there now. Full of nutters too - I don't know why but there's always people standing and preeching about God.
Don't know if its anywhere near you, but when I was a Connaught I used to go their training acadamy in Caerphilly

yes not far 20 miles,when we went up it was for 2 reasons the wife(as told by her mates)wanted to go to the bullring shopping, and me having only ever owned rovers wanted to see Longbridge before the Chinese sell it(which will probably never happen) i know a lot of its gone but looking at it from the out side its a awesome looking site almost a town on its own its so big and thats with half of it missing the other thing we noticed about Birmingham folk they are the same as us in Wales very friendly,only gripe is bullring parking as you know not cheap but swanseas going the same way

The parking is a joke to be honest. I've worked with a few welsh lads and they've always been sound. I think laid back and friendly is the only way to be. Just makes life and our job especially a lot lot easier.

OH YES nothing worse than a colleague whos a t***,we have one down here we call him mr bean,he just needs to chill out,he once reported another guy for installing a se boiler when corgi at that time looked into it boiler had been fitted 6 months before dead line every one in the merchants hates him now life's to short some times

Used to work with one aswell - we used to call him the chef because he made a meal out of everything

Ok, further inspection in daylight, left disconnected from mains & gas turned off & filled via filling loop till showed approx 1 bar.
Inspected closely with torch to find water leaks;
Immediatley dripped slightly from where copper pipe joins the primary heat exchanger, due to marks on copper pipe has probably had slight leak from here for some time.
Shortly after much bigger leak from where fan spigot outlet pipe joins to fan, this leak much bigger & dripping onto fan hood & onto primary heat exchanger.
Can only assume this means secondary heat exchanger has major internal leak & cannot imagine water in fan a good idea.
All part descriptions have been taked from the "Installation & Service Instructions" left when system installed.
Sticker put on bnoiler is gas safe sticker saying WARNING.... At RISK.... disconnected from gas & not to be used, so presumably boiler has been condemmed.
Thanks for the info so far guys, but is this grounds for replacing boiler & charging £1,400.00 for the privelege?

When you class something as "at risk" then you have to get permission of the customer/tennant to disconnect if refused then you can just isolate from the spur and then it is up to the end user weather to use it or not. From what you have told us and what the other lads have said I would'nt say your boiler is a write off. May need some expensive parts or may just need new o rings etc but without being there and seeing it for myself I could not really say much more. I would get a second opionion from another local GSE

Any idea where to get price for the secondary heat exchanger, I have found lots of sites listing primary heat exchanger but none for the secondary one.

Thanks.......Paul

[DLMURL="http://www.gas-spares.co.uk/Catalogue/POTTERTON-MYSON/POTTERTON-COMBI/POTTERTON-PERFROMA-Range/PERFORMA-24-ECO-HE"]PERFORMA 24 ECO HE - Gas Appliance Spares (Preston) Ltd[/DLMURL]
guide here only,parts can be bought else were cheaper in regard to the secondary,recupirater you only need the front cover assembly,its a fraction of the cost of the full part also try your local pts they have a spares division dhs(direct heating spares 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks gas man, I don't see why I should pay £1,400 for a new boiler when faulty parrt(s) is(are) only a couple of hundred pounds.
E-mail sent to gilesey2.

Has been interesting learning curve so far, but I do not really wish to know much more about gas boilers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I
Yes press the button until there are 2 lights...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
Thank you for the detailed and considered...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Back