do you flux your fittings??? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss do you flux your fittings??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spanners1967

during my first year we were taught never to flux the inside of fittings.. however they also 'taught' me how to solder and i started having leaks when i went onto the circuit... now i Do flux my fittings and the pipe; as i watched my boss and copied him.. is there a divide in this approach???

i do both but mostly just flux the pipe, as long as the pipe is clean of debris and enough flux is on it and you solder it correctly it will be fine.

during my first year we were taught never to flux the inside of fittings.. however they also 'taught' me how to solder and i started having leaks when i went onto the circuit... now i Do flux my fittings and the pipe; as i watched my boss and copied him.. is there a divide in this approach???

yes there is a divide, do it my way and flux just the pipe with a light film of flux, or do it wrong haha

the way i see it is if you flux the fititng, when pushing the pipe in alot of excess flux will get inside the pipe, where as if its on the pipe then it shouldnt, I always just flux the pipe and never have any problems, but there has been occasions that i have fluxed the fittings ready for me to use them for quickness.

If i cant get my brush round the back of the pipe because its in an tight corner etc, I might put a touch on the inside of the fitting.

I put plenty flux on pipes & just a smear inside fittings. Turning the pipe as i push it in to fitting if possible. But I think the secret to soldering is adding flux as you solder, usually by a little dab on end of roll of solder.

Apply your flux to the pipe after dipping the rod of solder in the flux pot - the end tipped to a small degree - so that you get a thin and even sheen of flux around the pipe when you run it round, spinning the pipe to check it's evenly applied. Any other way is illegal and you wil be arrested.

if its an old fitting use steel wool and flux inside of the fitting, same goes with old pipe.

Nobody is right or wrong I reckon, if it works for you then great. Just try and put less on your gas pipework. I flux fittings only, and then brush with my flux brush, even on gas, never had a problem in 20 years.

I've not had to solder for so long now I'd probably look like a first year apprentice if I did one tomorrow!

However for what it's worth I always flux the pipe but twist it in the fitting to make sure it's coated all the way round.

I agree with the pipe fluxers. This is the only correct way - flux pipe with blob of flux on solder, push pipe into fitting with a lovely twisting action, solder joint, the bit of flux that was left on solder gives it that little bit of extra fluxness as Best mentioned earlier.

What you do have to watch out for with fittings, even fresh out of the bag - some of em are cacked up inside, thick black gunge marks, ive even found grease sometimes. I always silicone carbide strip mine, but im special :)

I still havent mastered soldering speedfit joints yet, i keep trying...

I flux fitting and pipe. I also clean fitting and pipe regardless of if its new or old.

I know I don't have to do this, but I'm OCD about it!!

I flux the tube but if there's a little bit of water i'll flux the fitting aswell and some times put a dab on the solder. Never fails.

As Twistednuts said, the Yorkshire type solder fittings are often very glazed - like a clear varnish, & full of dirt in & under the solder. I clean them thoroughly before soldering, but prefer to use end feed, as they are pure, clean copper, with no break inside to stop capillary action. Also can be soldered with lead solder if used for heating work. On the same subject, what flux is used by everyone? Does anyone use the grease based flux, like the Yorkshire Traditional flux?

Who follows the rule:

Use the same length of solder as the diameter of the fitting, i.e two lots of 22mm of solder for each side of a 22mm coupling.

?

I quite like laco, can't stand powerflux, I find the fitting lock together far too much if you need to move them, gets right on my nerves....

Save all this faff with flux, solder, mirror to check if the solder's gone all the way round, cleaning fingers, cleaning flux brush, hot blow torch, scorch marks, shreaded heat mat, etc ...

Slap on a pushfit ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
My feeling is (and as someone who takes...
Replies
Views
Back