do you flux your fittings??? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss do you flux your fittings??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
wire wool is good, as long as you give the fitting a good blow after using it i don't see much risk. but i agree, it and abrasvie strips are some of the easiest things to lose. in your hand one second, in another universe the next. you'd think i'd therefore learn to put more than one clump/strip in my tool bag at a time but no...one will surely suffice this time!....bosh. gone.

Wire wool is the devils pubic hair, never used that cack in years!! Its evil.
I once sliced my finger ripping a small piece off :(
Its definately not good for fittings and causes electrolysis in heating systems.
If it gets wet it rusts overnight, an have you ever caught it with the blow lamp? Its like bonfire night!!

Silicone carbide strips are where its at. Last for ages wet or dry, no steel splinters.

Rad valves - use 3 spanners, one turned sideways on the valve, one to hold this to stop the valve spinning, and the third to tighten the nut.

Happy days

Last edited by a moderator:
Wire wool is the devils pubic hair, never used that cack in years!! Its evil.
NEVER leave a cordless battery ( or any battery ) near a lump of steel wool, in your van! Happened me once, when I searched for something in back of van, & moved some things, the wool burst into flames!
Must add that to " top tips "!

I use one of these:Select IsoRad RadWrench Radiator Remover Tool - type - Hand Tools - TCD - TV - Trade Counter Direct Ltd

To do up, undo rad valve unions. It supports the valve without scratching it. My one is made of powdercoated metal. Had it about 4 years.

I see you can only buy them in plastic now. Typical. Before the above was invented, I used very worn stilsons to support the rad valve. never sctrached the chrome, but the rad wrench is better.

When I bought the rad wrench, I asked about it in the merchants and they ordered it in for me. There was a miserable old plumber next to me and when I was describing it, he piped up..... "I use grips". :fuk2:

Well my clients don't like their valves scratched to hell, so I use this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
My feeling is (and as someone who takes...
Replies
Views
Back