Does anyone else choose to keep their work dull and predictable? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Does anyone else choose to keep their work dull and predictable? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Everyone can enjoy a challenge but only a sado-masochistic adrenaline junkie wants a challenge that'll bankrupt him and end up with him in court if he screws it up bad enough. Well perhaps that's a long shot but every job, not matter how small, has the potential to ruin your month and take a chunk out of your self-confidence and peace of mind. That's why plumbers that have been doing it a long time all have the same bolshy, hardened, dominant attitude. On a long enough timeline nothing else will endure.

Challenging for me usually equals unprofitable. I really can't be bothered with it. Besides a so called easy job can turn into a nightmare.

How do you all decide what's too challenging you get halfway through a breakdown and say nah this isn't for me you'll need someone else!

besides what do you class as challenging you're all supposed to be competent tradesmen nothing should be challenging within your job description I'd understand if someone is asking you to decorate a Ming vase but they aren't someone please explain why you find your parts of your job difficult?

Example; doing a break down on an unfamiliar boiler. Tech help can be useless, it could be one of three things. So your guessing, you guess wrong, unhappy custard and your down on money.
Or you take on a big install in something your not familiar with, solar perhaps. It takes three days longer than you've allowed for. Your out of pocket.
Given enough time you can do virtually anything in the trade. But. Every day you have to make money or you won't be around long.

Everything bar servicing oil boilers for me is pretty much unfamiliar ground.
i spent pretty much 3 years oil servicing , watching the trainer (silently, no questions allowed usually) or running materials about... :(

so i'll get stuck in with anything at the moment, i've wavered a few times and passed stuff on but i'm trying me best to keep at it.

I used to love this job and everything about it butt in the last few years the enjoyment has gone.
People have changed (or is it me?) and i can't be rsed with most of them. I go in do the job and fk off but fortunately i'm in a position where i can pick and choose a bit.

Funily enough i'm doing a new build for the first time in 4 or 5 years and i'm actually enjoying the crack again.

Get balls deep! No point pussying round . you fall over , push Kyle off your back and get up and carry on with the thing you just learned about .

Everything bar servicing oil boilers for me is pretty much unfamiliar ground.
i spent pretty much 3 years oil servicing , watching the trainer (silently, no questions allowed usually) or running materials about... :(

so i'll get stuck in with anything at the moment, i've wavered a few times and passed stuff on but i'm trying me best to keep at it.

Just go out and do it and stop worrying.
Sure you'll fk up, we all did, but you will learn from it and won't do it again.
Don't worry too much if you are slow, you will learn how to speed up too.

If you find the job interesting, you're in luck. If not, my theory is stick to what you're comfortable doing, go at a pace you're comfortable going at and pour all of the efforts, problem solving talents and ingenuities that you might have directed towards challenging jobs and skillset-widening towards making money instead.

i can see where you're coming from watertight, and in theory at least it can make good business sense to stick to small, profitable albeit tedious repairs, the problem with this is getting the phone to ring for the jobs you want to do often enough to make a living.
in my opinion when you start limiting yourself to certain jobs you are also limiting your earning potential unless you can somehow manage to get the phone ringing constantly with small jobs. this isnt easy!

How do you all decide what's too challenging you get halfway through a breakdown and say nah this isn't for me you'll need someone else!

besides what do you class as challenging you're all supposed to be competent tradesmen nothing should be challenging within your job description I'd understand if someone is asking you to decorate a Ming vase but they aren't someone please explain why you find your parts of your job difficult?
With me its time limits, i'm employed so its a different angle i'm coming from. i believe most on here are more than capable of doing the vast majority of whatever situation can throw at them. its just time and money that puts pressure on an unfamiliar situation.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello All- (Usual caveats apply: I am the...
Replies
Views
No, I believe you absolutely. My own problem...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
Yes I do also, more interesting! Love doing...
Replies
Views
mike_s
M
Back