Does anyone else struggle? | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Deleted member 120897
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 93
  • Tags
    None

Discuss Does anyone else struggle? in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

D

Deleted member 120897

Does anyone else struggle with the job, thinking there’s others who are far superior to yourself. Or if you get the stuffing knocked out of you because you allegedly messed up on a job, does it take you a while to shake it off? I tend to dwell on historical things, and this bothers me, and makes me think I shouldn’t be doing this job.

Thoughts anyone?

Yep If I’m speaking honestly normally have a few times, load of good jobs then it’s just that one either something isn’t going right or not how you want / pictured and then you start to overthink / stress on it and then down that rabbit hole (which never gets better)

Superior is the wrong word.
Try more knowledgeable or more experienced.
No-one will ever be top dog in everything, everyone has weaknesses.

Just remember when someone says "You don't want to do it like that", or you should have done it like this, they probably had someone else say exactly the same thing to them a few years ago.

There will always be someone more knowledgeable or more experienced on a particular aspect of work.
They may not have the same range or set of skills as you and you could probably show them up with your knowledge or experience of particular aspects.

I have more weaknesses than strengths unfortunately. I have limited breakdown experience, limited knowledge on gas related aspects, and there’s other areas too, including electrics, which is where I messed up on. I allegedly cut out the cpc for the boiler feed, I don’t know how, but it happened, and I’m disappointed in myself for it. The electrician had to correct this and also reported it to his manager. No disciplinary action, but I’m still not happy about it. 18 years doing the job, and feel like I’ve learned what someone in 2 - 3 years would.

I have more weaknesses than strengths unfortunately. I have limited breakdown experience, limited knowledge on gas related aspects, and there’s other areas too, including electrics, which is where I messed up on. I allegedly cut out the cpc for the boiler feed, I don’t know how, but it happened, and I’m disappointed in myself for it. The electrician had to correct this and also reported it to his manager. No disciplinary action, but I’m still not happy about it. 18 years doing the job, and feel like I’ve learned what someone in 2 - 3 years would.

Maybe it wasn’t connected to begin with ?

What sort of training structure does your employer have?
None really. They put me through acs, and I missed out on unvented dhw, with no option to take it again. I was supposed to be put on training when I signed up for being a breakdown engineer, which never happened.

We had essential electrics training, the card lasted 5 years and when it was due to expire, I notified people and nothing. There’s no cpd.

Oh, I do hold cmdda1, but don’t get as many “activations” now.

All fires get removed when property becomes empty/void. Cookers are customers own.

None really. They put me through acs, and I missed out on unvented dhw, with no option to take it again. I was supposed to be put on training when I signed up for being a breakdown engineer, which never happened.

We had essential electrics training, the card lasted 5 years and when it was due to expire, I notified people and nothing. There’s no cpd.

Oh, I do hold cmdda1, but don’t get as many “activations” now.

All fires get removed when property becomes empty/void. Cookers are customers own.
You literally named yourself undertrained. And you seem to think you have been. I don't know whether the struggles you're having are most attributable to this issue, but if they are then at least it's not a personal failing, more circumstantial. Literally anyone can excel at this job if they're lucky enough to be taught well, by the right people, at the right time, in a comprehensive fashion and then given real world experience under supervision with engaged and talented overseerers. The rest of us make do with what we get, to whatever extent we do.

Focus on what you are good at and go from there. If things go wrong then once you notice they are a pain step back have a drink and then get yourself back in there. I had a mare the other week. All jobs were in old properties and everything I touched or didn’t touch either fell apart or leaked. It’s just the nature of the beast unfortunately. I’ve learnt so much more from myself than I ever did working for someone.

That’s the trouble, I don’t know what I’m good at, and IMO, I’m not good at anything. I have knowledge of certain aspects, but then completely fail in other areas. I’m on a job today, probably easy basic wiring, and I can’t figure it out.
Wiring is never easy unless your a qualified sparks. Even with doing this job for 16 years wiring still baffles me sometimes. When it does I revert back to my honeywell wiring app or book if you have a 30 year old phone.

Wiring is never easy unless your a qualified sparks. Even with doing this job for 16 years wiring still baffles me sometimes. When it does I revert back to my honeywell wiring app or book if you have a 30 year old phone.
I’ve got the app, but this is adding new equipment in existing properties. I’ve just sorted that job, had a bit of a brain fog moment, I can’t follow some wiring diagram, so had to go over it several times. I’ll just have to persevere for now, until I can figure out what I want to do, as I keep back to situations like this, and think it would be better if I worked somewhere with a bit more on offer experience wise. I know what you mean about working for yourself and learning, I learnt more from callout and foreigners.

Tbh if find it best to re do the heating box when adding anything major eg new salus wiring centre and mark the cables

Similar plumbing topics

Just a thought but can you overdose the system...
Replies
Views
Yes thats another place i will be phoning...
Replies
Views
Was sweet when we commissioned the system...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes it was the non return valve on the bottom...
Replies
Views
Guess the new set of taps have smaller water...
Replies
Views
Back