Domestic or commercial? | Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Domestic or commercial? in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all.
I've just started on my own (oh the joys) so this is probably the first post of many.
I turned down a nice easy combi swap as I thought it would be classed as commercial (which I'm not). The job is a replace a domestic worcester combi like for like in an industrial unit. It runs 6 rads in the offices and reception and a small washroom. However the workshop part of the unit has an industrial spray booth with large steel gas pipe (well over 35mm) run from a U16 meter. The customer has just called me saying he has spoken to GasSafe and they said I can fit the boiler provided there is a ball type isolation point and a 22mm pipe from that point, both of which there are. I'm going to call GasSafe tomorrow for advice but wondered what you guys think?

if you cannot test the existing pipe work, and you need to cut in to it, then i would of said no

but it would of been cheap enough for you to get someone to cut a valve in for you

i would still take the job on just run a gas pipe to point where you need to cut into bigger size then get someone in to make connection. I wouldn't phone gas safe tech help as couple times i have they have been nothing but rude and unhelpfull.

The customer who seems a good guy, is saying he's been told that I don't need to cut into the steel pipe as I can simply turn off at the isolation point and connect up, but I fail to see how I can do a t.test. I am a little concerned at calling GasSafe myself as I've never found them to be particulary helpful to say the least!

from the isolating valve onwards you can work, did a similar in a concrete works, boiler was for hot water and 3 rads in washroom, Corgi asked and was told how and where to work from.

Thanks Stani, you seem to confirm what I've been told. I thought of the test nipple as it seems logical, but being relatively new I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. I've got a contact name at GasSafe who the customer spoke to so I'll see what they say tomorrow and let you know

from the isolating valve onwards you can work, did a similar in a concrete works, boiler was for hot water and 3 rads in washroom, Corgi asked and was told how and where to work from.

am i glad to hear this did an industrial unit office last month i took on the job which had an existing boiler and assumed it was a normal meter - when i got there and parts delivered noticed it was the same issue you had. traced existing boiler pipe to the steel which had an isolator and test nipple so connected to that- been on edge since as i thought i had done wrong .i can sleep at night now thanks
ant

Frankly i think you're customer is talking nonsense, don't trust him/her! check for sure youself. Gas safe or anyone would not say as long as you have a 22mm isolation valve it's ok. They've not seen the job, for all they no the size of pipe you require could be 28mm or 35mm. In this case you would not start with 22mm. As there is a valve, cut in a test point and you should be ok i'd have thought. Its worth checking with the powers that be though to be safe. Just state on your sheet "tested from local isolator only".
Good luck with going on your own, hopefully it's a cold winter again so we can all make lot's of money!

Thanks everyone. Just spoke to Gas Safe and they confirmed that I can work on the appliance. The guy implied I was a bit daft to think I couldn't work on it!! I may have a been a bit confusing in my first post, the steel pipe has a tee up in the eaves and a steel vertical run down to near the boiler. Then there is an isolation point and 22mm copper to the boiler. If I isolate here then I'm not breaking into the steel and can install as usual. I didn't check for a test nipple but am taking one with me just in case. Doing the the job tomorrow, will take some pics. Thanks again for the advice and I'm glad you'll sleep better Ant.

Bubblegas glad you've got the job mate, probably good idea to get the email but if not, do the work explain your conversation with GSR, otherwise, nothing would ever get done

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Clearly you have a Domestic Gas installation...
Replies
Views
N
  • Question
Agree as above if the manufacturers state its...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
Back