doubting my pricing (oilies) | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss doubting my pricing (oilies) in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a great thread, I think quoting is a skill itself. It's about selling yourself to the customer. An easy way is to cut your labour and undercut the guy before you.

"How much have you been quoted?"
"£6000 all in"
"i'll do it for £5750 then"

Start like that and you soon realise your aren't making much money and need to scrape on materials and the bad ones amongst start to cut corners and rush.

Its a great kill to quote higher than the previous, get told what the previous quote was, and then maintain your price with solid reasoning.

I had a company round the over month (no names) quoting on a built in wardrobe for the missus. internal drawers, lights etc etc. He quoted at £4,000 with a 50% special, then said there was a Managers special on that took another 20% off. So we were at £3200 now. We wanted to think about it and got a call a day later saying they would do it for £2750. I lost my rag then as I had no idea if I was getting the bargain of the century (i doubt) at £5250 off retail, or if they were buttering me up with discounts to sell something that was still not worth half the amount. (i think we all know which it is).

Reminds me of one guy I heard quoted for similar work.
He told the homeowner he could do it for £*** cash, "no tax man, no vat man".
Silly boy didn't realise the homeowner was a tax man.

When quoting for work always always stick to your price no matter what,
It's what you value your service at not what other people value themselves at, and like most things you pay top price for top quality.

What happened to the big gold stamp on the envelope LPC?!
I like reading you quote related posts. I always quoted the same way as you, logo folder, brochures and info but now tend to do it by email. Both have benefits. The odd customer told me they like my presentation.
Half the time I think lot of customers have decided who they want . That's when the salesmans pitch comes in - I don't posess those type of skills....
You can be the best plumber in the world but if you aren't a good salesman....
Im neither

Last edited:
You can be the best plumber in the world but if you aren't a good salesman....

I am guessing that you probably put many years into learning how to become a good plumber.

Its commonplace on this forum and elsewhere to laugh at people who think that they can be a plumber with 10 weeks fast track training.

And yet how many people think that they can become businessmen (because that's what SE plumbers need to be) without A SINGLE DAY of training?

I reckon that a week invested in a good selling course would pay off about 100x for the average SE plumber.

Im saying, if we were good at selling, youd have no customers!
We' be changing jobs...
Maybe you should run the course? 'How to sell' with Ray Stafford

Last edited:
Ray, if we were good at selling, we wouldn't be doing this job!

I was a good gas man after joining B Gas in 1986, I was promoted to a technical sales rep in 1998. 5 years in sales was long enough with them to teach me the skills.

Motivation competing against the bodgit and scarper installers is my main issue after 13 years self employment.

This is just priceless, she did get someone else to do the works mentioned at #1

No power flush
all old leaking rads left
apparently the pressure needle goes wild all over the place they run the hot tap... proberly just air though :(

cry / me / a / river

She'll be on Rogue Traders in a couple of months winging that her heating wont work and shes been ripped off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back