Draining down without a drain valve | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Draining down without a drain valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_the_plumber

Gas Engineer
Hey got a bit of a problem. I was asked to remove a radiator and pipe work up to ceiling level so the plasterer could have full access tp the wall.
Of course when I cut the pipe work away I also revoved the drain valve.
I stop ended both drop down pipes at the coving and refilled the system. I then realised that when I pull the stop ends off those pipes will still full of water!
There is a down stairs bath room so hopefully there will be a drain off near that rad and then there will only be a small amount of water in the drop downs.
I just wondered if anyone can suggest how to save this guys carpet a soaking?

Thanks v much...Dan

drain down as much as you can from elsewhere then use a wet vac to catch any water when you remove the stop ends.

As above, drain down close by and then wet vac or stick a bucket under the pipes as you pull them off. There won't be that much in there.

Ok thanks thats great...I might just have to crack the bathroom rad nut actually to drain....Anyway, as usual on here usefull advise.

One more thing actually....When I put the speed fit plastic stop ends on I didn't have my blow lamp to clean the ends of the pipes I just used a bit of glass gauze.

Consiquently there was still some paint on the pipes when I fitted the stop ends and I've got a feeling they're going to be buggers to get off.

Any suggestions as to how I might get them off without potentially desterbing the next soldered fitting in the circuit?

Thanks...Alot...Learning as I go....Dan :)

when cleaning off paint I just put some flux on it heat it till black then wipe when it cools a little with wire wool

They'll come off fine, the paint won't stop them coming off. But you should have cleaned paint off. 99 times out of 100 it won't cause a prob but do you want to bet on the 1 where the fitting blows off?

Small pair of grips, gently and repeatedly round the pipe end will crack most paint, then vigourous clean with abrasvie strips, then repeat. Don't do it hard or you might nick or dent the pipe and then the speedfit really will leak.

As for draining down without a drain-off, self cutting tap?

Thanks fellas...I'm inspired by Water Tight's confidence that stop ends will come off easy enough :)

Lesson learned and will definately make sure pipe ends are totally clean in future!

Think I'll prob get away without a 'self cutting tap' this time. Very pleased though, after a bit of research onthem on web. Wasn't even aware of their existance so thankyou :)

And yeah Franky your way of cleaning pipes seams like a really good way...especially if you're preparing the pipes to solder...Thanks

Watch this space...learning by my mistakes.....Dan :)

Alternqtively you could push a bit of 15mm into a hose with a push-fit connector on it. Whip the stop end off and shove the connector on.

yyeah I did think of that already...It's a good way to do it...

But when your up a ladder with bucket in one hand stop end in the other You've got to

preassemble the hose and push fit then put the pipe end in your pocket...throw the stop end into the bucket and swop for the assembly

Then if the push fit for whatever reason doesn't want to go on first time you'll have watewr spraying everywhere and it could turn into a catastrophie

Hahahaha.....Should work ok but I'm a little dubeous

Dan :)

you can buy drain off cocks that fit like the old diy washing machine valves. ie the ones you twist to cut into the pipe. They can be very helpful when you want a temp drain off point.

Roll back the carpet?Hose pipe with a funnel on the end.Make sure you have an apprentice on hand to take the blame.Many's the time I had a clip round the ear for doing something I hadn't actually done!

sorry I don't quite follow....Dya mean a wet vac like a henry or a vax?

In the senario I've given with my stop ends on the drop downs and no drain off down stairs how would a hoover help?

Not saying it wouldn't but simply asking the question.

Thanks very much...Dan

yes a wet vac to suck up the water that comes out when you remove the stop ends. in fact suck up the stop ends as well to make it easier, you can retrieve them later. otherwise you'll need three hands.

Didn't know about self-cutting drain-off valves. Just checked and they sell them on bes for 3 quid. That's good because you could leave them on exposed pipework afterwards unlike self-cutting tap.

why didnt you just fit iso valves when you cut the pipes you still could have fitted stop ends after them to make sure then ud all ready have a tap to turn on so you can draindown you could allways take them off and straight joint back together when your down

reguards stu

For darining down, I have short piece of 15mm copper with a 15 x 3/4 Tap connector on one end and a 15mm compression coupler in the middle. If I need to drain a heating system I just remove a radiator and connect with ever suits the tap connector or the nut and olive. Try to use a tap connector that does not have a raised seating as this will seal better.

Last edited:
Thats good stuff 2k7....

Think I'll def have to see what they've got in the way of that in city plumbing

Cheers mate....Dan

lol been their got the tea shirt on driveing home and suddnely thinking why the hell didnt i do it like that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All This is following on from thread I...
Replies
Views
Thanks All. After much persuasion the...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
Yes i already knew that but thanks for the...
Replies
Views
Back